Author Topic: How are people getting enough volume for the voice?  (Read 3113 times)

Wadoadi

How are people getting enough volume for the voice?
« on: November 25, 2016, 05:02:48 pm »
Hi all,
     I'm sure some months ago I saw a thread about how to route the audio via Bluetooth to the tablet (android in my case) or did I imagine it as I can't find it now!?

I want to use the voice out of the PI so I can hear the warning without looking at the screen all the time. How is everyone else doing this?

I can hear the skydemon terrain warnings ok, so if I can route the sound via my tablet that would work for me!

I have got  a very cheap 3w per channel amp based on PAM8403 and wired it up with some tiny speakers and its fine in the house but I doubt it will be heard in the cockpit!

I have PaW volume set to 10.

I thought about getting or making a lead to go via the headset but it would need to auto mute when transmitting or receiving, I also doubt if there is enough power from the pi's line out to drive the headset!?

exfirepro

Re: How are people getting enough volume for the voice?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:31:16 pm »
Hi Wadoadi,

Personally, mine is cabled direct from the Pi audio output to the auxiliary audio input on my Flycom Intercom. Works great with plenty of volume even at PAW audio output 5 or so. Doesn't mute when receiving radio messages, but hasn't caused me any problems in many months of use.

Regards

Peter

Wadoadi

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 06:47:22 pm »
thanks exfirepro, with our current radio and having the PAW unit as a portable unit that is not an option for me :(
but good to know nonetheless...

AlanG

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 08:44:03 pm »
Hi Wadoadi

The thread you refer to about bluetooth is probably mine but it was in regard to bluetooth from my tablet audio into the same Flycom intercom system as Peter is using.  I use EasyVFR nav system and this provides similar traffic audio alerts to the PAW audio out along with its own airspace, track and other warnings and I use a "Blackstar Tone:Link" plugged into the 3.5mm aux input of the Flycom.  It also works plugged into the second seat headset socket if flying solo.  (Needs a 1/4 jack to 3.5mm converter for this in my case).  The only drawback with this was that the Bluetooth receiver sleeps after a few seconds of no signal and was initially clipping the message start but but liaison between myself and the PocketFMS crew  resolved this with a wake up tone prior to each message being sent.   :)
I'm not sure if you could achieve a similar set-up by fitting a Bluetooth sender to the PAW audio jack, but then you may have to ask Lee nicely to incorporate a wake-up tone ahead of each alert.   ;D

I'm fairly certain that both my above methods mute the alerts on TX but not RX.  Still a work in progress.

Regards
Alan

Wadoadi

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 09:29:04 pm »
Thanks Alan, lots to think about there, I think I will look into it some more and maybe chat with the PAW team at the show...