Author Topic: EasyVFR error "FAILED resetting location services, location data is not availabl  (Read 4077 times)

MrSums

Hi all,

Just received my unit and set up in accordance with manual.

Setting up EasyVFR, I configured the FLARM settings, but get the error "FAILED resetting location services, location data is not available".

If I disable "Use FLARM GPS as EasyVFR GPS" the error goes away, but presumably the unit is then using the internal GPS?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Robert

Ian Melville

Robert, are you able to post screenshots of the home and config screens of the PAW?

I am assuming you device has made a wireless connection to the PAW?

MrSums

Hi Ian,

Yes, connected wirelessly to the unit. Attached screenshots

Ian Melville

Hi Robert, I assume you have it set as a base station for the purpose of testing?

From what I can see your GPS has yet to get a fix. Is it the type plugged directly into the Pi USB port? If so I would put it on a short USB extension lead. Then make sure it is exposed to a clear sky until it gets a fix.  Not through a window, brave the cold and go outside. It can take a while, though in my experiance, only a minute or two. If no joy it could be a faulty GPS. Nowt will happen until that is fixed.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:21:10 pm by Ian Melville »

AlanG

Hi Robert

I've been testing PAW for several months now using EVFR as my nav system and this message comes up whenever you change from using the tablet GPS to the Flarm/PAW GPS but you can just ignore it.
You should find that EVFR reports a green GPS flag at the top of the page with Flarm below it once the PAW GPS has found its lock.  I'm not sure of the reason for this but it seems to have no effect on the operation of PAW or EVFR.  I keep meaning to ask Rob Weijers at PocketFMS about this but as it hasn't caused me any grief I keep forgetting each time I email him about other things.
As Ian has said, you are currently running as a receive only base station and it also indicates that you do not currently have your Navigation device connected as per your first screen shot.  I also notice that you have set Mode C/S parameters but have so far not set the "Mode C/S select" to receive these alerts.  That is of course an optional setting and only mention it as you have set the other parameters.

Regards
Alan
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:51:54 pm by AlanG »

MrSums

Thanks both for input.

Tried again today on the way to the airfield. Obtained GPS fix and as Alan mentioned, it seems to work ok if you just ignore the message. EasyVFR reports "GPS fix" and the FLARM note is there (in grey, rather than green?).

Didn't try it out in anger as I want to play a bit more, but thanks for the help.

One final point - I did note that the wifi dropped out if I didn't have EasyVFR connected (seemed to be stable once everything was working and I had EVFR operational). Is that normal, or did I have a random error?

Cheers

Robert

Ian Melville

It shouldn't drop out.

AlanG

Hi Robert

The "Flarm" in Grey is correct.  I suspect it just sits over the top of the the green "Fix" text.
Not sure about your wifi drop-outs.  Shouldn't make any difference if EVFR is connected or not.
Monitor it to see if it is repeated and we can take it from there. 

Alan