Author Topic: Setting up the software  (Read 65871 times)

BobD

Re: Setting up the software
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2015, 10:52:32 am »
Hi Lee,

A few questions & problems. Using Sky Demon for Android on my HTC One M9 phone

1. What is the significance of the Air Connect Key of 6000 ? My Sky Demon defaults to 1234. Easy to change, but it appears to go back to default after re-boot of device.
2. Software installed OK, and working. However, Wifi connection appears flaky, get "Unstable Internet" message on my phone, which clears on retry, but re-appears a few minutes later. However connection is showing as excellent with IP of 192.168.1.105
3. Get "Sky Demon for Android - wait whilst a  connection is established" message after Go-flying, for quite a while, then occasional "failed to connect to Butterfly Unit".
4. If connection is established, get "Seeking GPS" message for ages, until timeout (it appears that choosing FLARM in setup disables the internal GPS).

Any ideas ?

TIA

BobD

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:00:35 am by BobD »

peastlake

« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2015, 11:32:31 am »
Thanks Lee. That'd be great. GLO s are fairly common, so we need to understand if that's the problem. No rush at all though.

Paul

Admin

« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2015, 05:11:42 pm »
Hi Lee,
A few questions & problems. Using Sky Demon for Android on my HTC One M9 phone

Hi Bob
Sorry to tell you android is not yet supported😔
There is ongoing work
Lee

BobD

« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2015, 12:00:50 am »
Hi Lee,

Well that's a bit of a bummer - something I hadn't even thought of  :-\

Any chance of an Android version soon, or do I need to start looking for an Ipad ?

Best Regards

BobD

p.s. If I do need to think about an Ipad, pls let me have a minimum spec for one - I have never owned any Apple products.

Richard

« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2015, 08:08:07 am »

p.s. If I do need to think about an Ipad, pls let me have a minimum spec for one - I have never owned any Apple products.

Bob,
  I'm using an iPad mini. It is just the 16GB version and it is a older version. So any new ones wil be ok.
Richard.
Europa XS

peastlake

« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2015, 09:53:10 am »
Yes, nothing too highly specced is needed, but the 3G one might be better. Not that it needs 3G, but only those have the GPS chip built in.

I have a WiFi only iPad mini, as I use my work phone as a hotspot when needed. However, I've always had to use a Bluetooth GPS source with it (currently a Garmin GLO). However, this maybe causing some issues with the PilotAware, which Lee is investigating. 

The GLO supplies location services to the iPad via Bluetooth , the iPad to PilotAware via WiFi, and the PilotAware to SkyDemon (which is on the iPad) via WiFi using the FLARM setting. Why SkyDemon can't use location services directly from the iPad location (provided either internally or via Bluetooth) & just take other traffic from PilotAware, God knows - but this is probably a question for Tim Dawson, not Lee.

[/quote]

Bob,
  I'm using an iPad mini. It is just the 16GB version and it is a older version. So any new ones wil be ok.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:54:49 am by peastlake »

Admin

« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2015, 09:53:44 am »
Hi Bob

Make sure its a cellular version, this has internal gps

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2015, 11:25:47 am »
Bob
What nav software are you using ?

Pocketfms/easyvfr are building collisionaware directly into their product
There Should be a beta version available in a week
This will solve the issue on android

Thx
Lee

BobD

« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2015, 06:25:27 pm »
Thanks for the Ipad info Guys.

Lee, I only use Skydemon as my NAV software. I did try out PocketFMS in the States 4 years ago when I gained my PPL (just the 30 day evaluation) version, but after trying Skydemon on my return, I thought that the better option.

BobD

chrismills

« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2015, 01:12:49 am »
Hi Bob. I'm working on a port of the iPhone software over to Android. It's a bit more complicated than anything I've done before soI'm working my way up the learning curve. Don't want to offer an exact date for first draft but hopefully will make some progress in the next couple weeks.
ChrisMills

BobD

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2015, 10:00:13 am »
Good news Chris, thanks for the update.

I am just waiting for the delivery of a Powerpod for my second unit build, before I donate it to a friend who has an Ipad, when we can test both units.

BobD

rg

« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2015, 04:01:07 pm »
I've ordered all my hardware bits.  Fingers crossed you make good progress with the android app Chris.

captchaos

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2015, 07:47:31 pm »
Stupid questions whilst I wait for the bits to arrive. There is the SD format utility to download but is there any reason you can format the SD card with the standard Win7 utility?

onkelmuetze

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2015, 06:48:41 am »
Win7 might not see all partitions on the Card, because some linux based file systems (the Pi uses those) are not recognized by windows systems.

ianfallon

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2015, 09:20:33 am »
Win7 might not see all partitions on the Card, because some linux based file systems (the Pi uses those) are not recognized by windows systems.

I suspect this is only a problem if you've used the SD card with a Pi before, or on Linux or similar.

A new card, or one that's been used for a camera etc with the default full-size partition formatted FAT(32) should be good to go to just copy the files onto it unless I've missed something.