Author Topic: Setting up the software  (Read 66656 times)

iang

Re: Setting up the software - latest version 20151003
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2015, 08:44:09 pm »
I was about is throw the towel in, building the boards etc no problem with all the support the manual gives but when it can to downloading and getting the software to install on the Pi now that was a different case, I ended up having to down load the zip file four times and format a couple of micro SD cards dozzens of times before I finally managed to see the code number.

Its funny as I had not trouble with version 19 which booted up first time, but the code number has now changed with the software version upgrade. 

ianfallon

Re: Setting up the software
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2015, 09:15:31 am »
The PilotAware re-partitions the card when it boots up first time.
I suspect the most common problems are when re-using an SD card for a new version.

In this case it's important to not just reformat in Windows (which just reformats the small partition) but use the SD formatter program and select the Size Adjustment option ON

This reformats with 1 big partition. Then copy the files. Then put the SD in the PAW and it should do it's thing setting up (which takes a while) then reboots to running state.

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2015, 09:31:55 pm »
If you use 'SD Format' I can almost guarantee no problems copying across PAW Files and booting it.
Now it's a 'self propelled' boot it's a no effort upgrade.
Always reformat.
G
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

Petertd

« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2015, 09:15:59 am »
New system, booted OK, good power source, all lights on PI and shield, connected to Pilotaware wifi and collision aware is on, skydemon set to Flarm in traffic source, with 6000 key, Navigation, other traffic set to +- 50K, Select Go fly - Flarm, position shows as correct, BUT no traffic showing, cross check with Flightradar, lots of contacts. Any ideas ?

Admin

« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2015, 09:26:20 am »
New system, booted OK, good power source, all lights on PI and shield, connected to Pilotaware wifi and collision aware is on, skydemon set to Flarm in traffic source, with 6000 key, Navigation, other traffic set to +- 50K, Select Go fly - Flarm, position shows as correct, BUT no traffic showing, cross check with Flightradar, lots of contacts. Any ideas ?

Hi Peter,
Please try the following

1. go to PAW web interface http://192.168.1.1
2. what does it report for 'ADS-B (DVB-T)', Enabled, Disabled, Msgs ?

The Format is this
<status> Msgs=<abs>(+<rel>)

status = Enabled | Disabled
abs = messages in total
rel = messages in last sample period

Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2015, 09:27:52 am »
Just a thought, Check the plug on your ADS-B antenna. One of mine lost the little pin in the end of the plug.

Someone had also reported that the solder had broken in the base of antenna.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:43:42 am by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2015, 10:01:39 am »
If its the Mini Dongle then carefully prise open case and check internal connection for aerial.
I had same symptoms and centre core detached.
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

Petertd

« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2015, 10:48:42 am »

ADS-B = Enabled, no messages

Admin

« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2015, 10:55:40 am »

ADS-B = Enabled, no messages

sounds like a faulty DVB-T dongle :-(
could be the antenna connection as some others have mentioned

Petertd

« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2015, 11:10:10 am »
Now getting traffic, but its intermittant, on for few seconds or 30 secs, then disappears, then re-appears 30 secs or so later.   Interestingly, when all the traffic disappears off the screen, if I double press the home button on the ipad  and then go back into skydemon the traffic re-appears.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:42:40 am by Petertd »

Petertd

« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2015, 11:27:39 am »
Just a thought, Check the plug on your ADS-B antenna. One of mine lost the little pin in the end of the plug.

D'oh !!  Yep, it does help plugging in the aerial, thank you  !!!! All the traffic comes to life for 30 secs and then disappears, intermittent  !!

Admin

« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2015, 01:18:42 pm »

D'oh !!  Yep, it does help plugging in the aerial, thank you  !!!! All the traffic comes to life for 30 secs and then disappears, intermittent  !!

You mean all the traffic dissappears , so you are left with a blank display other than yourself ?
can you cross reference against flight radar to see if you have something near you not shown.
Also are the messages continuing to be reported in the web interface ?

ianfallon

« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2015, 01:32:02 pm »
Another thought - check the PilotAware map and find someone close to meet for some parts-swap testing (if you're close to someone else).

Petertd

« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2015, 03:54:16 pm »
Yes, all the surrounding traffic that is being tracked just disappear, my position, maps all remain unchanged, just all the moving traffic drops off the screen, a quick double click on the home button, tap on skydemon and the traffic comes back up just a little further down there route, the time tracked aircraft disappear is around 30 seconds after going back into skydemon, Weird !!

Admin

« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2015, 04:13:53 pm »
Yes, all the surrounding traffic that is being tracked just disappear, my position, maps all remain unchanged, just all the moving traffic drops off the screen, a quick double click on the home button, tap on skydemon and the traffic comes back up just a little further down there route, the time tracked aircraft disappear is around 30 seconds after going back into skydemon, Weird !!

are you using Android or iOS, and what version of SD ?