Author Topic: Live Data SkyDemon  (Read 3257 times)

efrenken

Live Data SkyDemon
« on: November 17, 2016, 06:10:05 pm »
Good evening,

Why do you suggest using the connectivity option 'Live data when planning' and not 'Live data when planning and flying' when using SD together with P3I?

I tried both options some time ago and as far as I can remember it made no difference in showing traffic.

Thank you and best regards

Eric

exfirepro

Re: Live Data SkyDemon
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 06:51:51 pm »
Hi Eric,

It doesn't affect traffic display. It's simply because under normal circumstances the tablet's WiFi option is taken up by PilotAware, which is a closed 'host' server with no internet access and hence access to 'Live data' whilst flying would generally be impossible. Selecting 'Live data when planning' simply avoids any potential conflict, though I discussed in another thread about using Bluetooth tethering to my phone - which I have also used successfully to maintain internet access in flight from a WiFi only tablet - see this thread:

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,606.msg7526.html#msg7526

In which case 'Live Data when Planning and Flying' also works fine.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 04:34:57 am by exfirepro »

efrenken

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 07:17:56 pm »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your message.

I have a WiFi & Cellular iPad I'm flying with and sometimes have internet connection up to more than 6,000ft GND via the cellular portion of my iPad. I don't want to miss that information I'm receiving in the air even now as SD has got the 'precipitation radar'.

So my question would be, does the connectivity option only influence WiFi and can I leave the option '... when planning and flying' on for cellular reception (without BT tethering)?

Thank you

Eric

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 08:12:21 pm »
Hi again Eric,

Yes, as you say yourself, it works for you at present (except when you lose a phone signal of course), so I see no reason to stop using the 'Live data when planning and flying' option, provided you have a Cellular tablet or have established an external internet connection via a phone as I have done myself previously.

Does anyone else have any experience of this either way?

Peter

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:09:06 pm by exfirepro »

efrenken

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 08:38:22 pm »
Thanks, Peter.