Author Topic: Never picked up another aircraft since I got it  (Read 9010 times)

daveb

Re: Never picked up another aircraft since I got it
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 07:46:14 am »
Thanks Peter.

Mode C/S switched on now. Doh!
This was all prompted by a Cessna flying the wrong way in the circuit which I had to avoid.  I met him on my cross wind climb out - he having just turned base from his wrong direction down wind.
If only they all used PAWs. Or at least transmitted ADS-B? Most of these guys are using hired planes, whereas I believe most of the PAW adopters seem to be owners so I guess they are less inclined to bother with the faff of setting it up.  How about a cigar socket ADS-B transmitter only - at least 'be seen' in not 'see'?

Cheers

Dave

exfirepro

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 08:26:34 am »
Hi again Dave,

You probably already know, NATS and the CAA are pushing Low Power ADSB (LPAT) on 1090 MHz, though at present there are no units commercially available. An American company has just started advertising 'the first commercial unit designed to UK spec', but they don't seem to have a U.K importer yet and no news on price either. Also if you have a transponder, one or other of them must be switched off as you are not allowed to transmit on 1090MHz from more Han one transmitter on one aircraft!! Hence the benefit of a 'carry on' PAW which detects 1090 and also lets you be seen on P3i.

Depending on which settings you have chosen in your PAW, you might want to tighten the filters later, but the wide settings will get you used to the system quickly. Just a hint, if you are getting lots of bearingless target (mode C/S) audio alerts, you might want to turn your volume down until you shorten the detection range as they can otherwise get a bit overpowering.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:22:47 am by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 09:34:43 am »
Also if you have a transponder, one or other of them must be switched off as you are not allowed to transmit on 1090MHz from more Han one transmitter on one aircraft!!

I re-read the CAP1391 over the weekend, and in fact it says that you cannot have a Mode-S transponder turned on in addition to a CAP1391 EC device.

So Mode A/C would be OK, I think the issue with transmitting 2 ICAO codes from the same aircraft.

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:53:05 pm by Admin »

exfirepro

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 11:52:28 am »
Hi Lee,

You are of course correct.... and I did actually know that.  :-\

In my defence, I was trying to answer Dave's post in the waiting room at my 'local but at least 3 buses away' garage after dropping my car off for service first thing this morning ready for my trip to Telford and had to 'rush' the reply as AlanG arrived to pick me up.  :)

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 12:55:08 pm »
So Mode A/C would be OK, I think the issue with transmitting 2 ICAO codes from the same aircraft.

Academic anyway I think ?
You are only allowed to install a new transponder IF it is Mode-S capable, IIRC

daveb

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 07:29:32 am »
Just to let you know all is well, picked up loads of contacts yesterday.
Thanks for setting me straight.

Admin

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 07:57:19 am »
Hi Dave

The scary part .... they were always there :o

exfirepro

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 10:55:46 am »
Hi Dave,

You are welcome. Glad you now have things sorted. Happy (and safe) flying.

Regards

Peter