Author Topic: Lights are on, but PAW not at home....  (Read 17559 times)

Smaragd

Re: Lights are on, but PAW not at home....
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2016, 07:45:02 pm »
I've connected to a monitor with HDMI - nothing. Does this mean I need to replace the Pi2B?

JCurtis

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2016, 07:57:41 pm »
I've connected to a monitor with HDMI - nothing. Does this mean I need to replace the Pi2B?

Did you power up the Pi with it connected to the monitor?  You should get something I'd have thought, does the monitor report seeing a signal?
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Admin

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2016, 08:33:26 pm »
You should at least get the rainbow splash screen when power is first applied

Smaragd

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2016, 09:37:07 pm »
No, nothing detected by the monitor.

Ian Melville

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2016, 06:44:21 am »
Is you monitor switched to the HDMI input, or are you relying on auto detect?
Are there any other inputs connected, is so temporary disconnect.

Smaragd

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2016, 10:42:36 am »
Monitor is specifically selecting the PAW HDMI input - but nothing seen.

Admin

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2016, 11:11:50 am »
Sounds like your Raspberry PI is dead.
You should have 12 months Warranty from the supplier, so should be OK for a return

Thx
Lee

Smaragd

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2016, 05:20:56 pm »
Looks like it. Will have another one to try with the rest of my hardware shortly, then I can pursue warranty if it's clearly the Pi.

Ian Melville

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2016, 07:39:52 pm »
Smaragd, it  could be a faulty unit, but I can reproduce the symptoms you are getting by removing the SD card. I did the test with absolutely everything disconnected except the HDMI and 5V supply.

Red and green lights come on the instant power is connected and remain steady on.
Nothing whatsoever appears on HDMI screen.

I can see no reference in your posts that you have eliminated the SD as an issue. Have you tried a reformat of the drive as per the Manual software update in the PilotAware Operating Instructions? Has it ever worked?

Smaragd

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2016, 07:51:21 pm »
Yes it has worked. Hadn't used it for a couple of weeks from when it was last working fine, and hadn't changed any hardware or software, but suddenly faced with the continuous red/green. Have manually reformatted and reloaded the card - still u/s.Interesting that you get the same effect with card out; I'd already opened the case and looked at SD contacts, wiggled and pushed - no different, but I'll focus on the card contacts again.

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2016, 08:07:43 pm »
Hi Folks,

Latest update from Dave:

The Pi was melted I'm afraid. I can't tell why, but the power circuit has gone u/s. It didn't get pulled to ground at all straight from a USB did it ? They have over current protection, but the poly fuses don't always make it in before the damage.
(Not our design !)

The bridge was fine.

It all checks out on a new Pi.

I'm not sure why the unit melted, don't think I scared it to death with my flying.... Looking forward to the arrival of the replacement unit. Thanks to Dave for the assistance.

Safe Flying.
Richard W.

JCurtis

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2016, 10:24:54 pm »
The Pi was melted I'm afraid. I can't tell why, but the power circuit has gone u/s. It didn't get pulled to ground at all straight from a USB did it ? They have over current protection, but the poly fuses don't always make it in before the damage.
(Not our design !)

It would be interesting to know if the 3.3v SMPS on the Pi went or the 5v rails downstream from the power socket are dead too.  There isn't much protection on the input, so a reasonable spike on the USB will kill it.  I would expect any decent USB supply to detect any kind of short on it's output and switch the output off, although some just go into a pseudo current limiting mode by rapidly pulsing the output that can really screw things up if you don't intervene.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Smaragd

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2016, 10:03:27 pm »
Yes it has worked. Hadn't used it for a couple of weeks from when it was last working fine, and hadn't changed any hardware or software, but suddenly faced with the continuous red/green. Have manually reformatted and reloaded the card - still u/s.Interesting that you get the same effect with card out; I'd already opened the case and looked at SD contacts, wiggled and pushed - no different, but I'll focus on the card contacts again.
New Pi2B arrived and fitted, lights seem to flash normally, and it's recognised at 192.168.1.1, however presumably to get rid of "Licence expired" I need to get licence key aligned with new Pi2B hardware MAC. Could you please remind me how to do this without paying for a new licence key?

Admin

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2016, 10:29:59 pm »
Please send me a PM with old and new hostid
Thx
Lee