Author Topic: First Flight Report  (Read 5395 times)

Tiger

First Flight Report
« on: October 15, 2016, 06:39:04 pm »
Finally got to fly with the system today albeit only for a short flight.

Everything seemed to work well however I do need find a way of mounting the unit into the aircraft using some Velcro or something.

During my 30 minute flight around Swindon I received several Audio alerts from bearingless targets which I could not spot. I also spotted another aircraft in my 12 o clock position crossing left to right at my altitude which I received no warning for which was a shame.

The real value of course will be other targets using PAW. When I was on the ground I looked at the logs and did see one other PAW contact which strangely enough was another AA5 like mine.

I'm looking forward to using it again but I might turn off the bearingless targets option as it was not very useful. I'm pretty sure it was warning me about aircraft on the ground at one point!

AlanG

Re: First Flight Report
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 10:35:50 pm »
Hi Tiger

Turning off Bearingless targets seems a little counter-productive to me.  Far better to set your filters more appropriately to eliminate ground targets once you reach your cruise altitude.  As to not obtaining a visual on some  bearingless targets this will also depend on the range you have set and the size of the target.  A small GA aircraft is extremely difficult to spot at even a couple of miles even if you know where to look but the fact that an alert makes you look a bit harder is the point of the exercise.
Maybe I'm just a sad old git but I'm quite happy to have an extra look around and not see something hurtling toward me that I have to avoid.  Not too long ago, but before i got involved with PAW, there was an occasion when there were 10 -15 microlights and other light aircraft all buzzing about within a 5 mile radius & about 2000 ft separation, viewing a demolition event for about 45 minutes and during that time I think I managed 3 visual contacts.  And that was with two pair of Mk1 eyeballs scanning the sky. 
Turning off any part of PAW seems a bit like deciding not to put your lottery tickets on one week.....you just know that's the week your numbers will come up!!!!!!!!!!!
the consequences could be slightly different though.   :-\

Regards
Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 11:02:33 pm »
Finally got to fly with the system today albeit only for a short flight.

Everything seemed to work well however I do need find a way of mounting the unit into the aircraft using some Velcro or something.

During my 30 minute flight around Swindon I received several Audio alerts from bearingless targets which I could not spot. I also spotted another aircraft in my 12 o clock position crossing left to right at my altitude which I received no warning for which was a shame.

The real value of course will be other targets using PAW. When I was on the ground I looked at the logs and did see one other PAW contact which strangely enough was another AA5 like mine.

I'm looking forward to using it again but I might turn off the bearingless targets option as it was not very useful. I'm pretty sure it was warning me about aircraft on the ground at one point!

Hi Tiger,

Sorry to have to say, but if you saw the PAW equipped AA5 on your PAW Traffic Screen Page, the chances are it was your aircraft. PAW lists all contacts including your own aircraft on the traffic screen, then filters your own aircraft out using your hex code before passing the data to your Nav System for display, so you would expect to see your own aircraft on your PAW Traffic Screen, but NOT on your Nav Display. Just check that you have set the right ICAO hex address in PAW Configure for your aircraft as per G-INFO.

As Alan says, don't turn off bearingless targets, adjust your settings and learn how to interpret what your system is telling you. It just might save your life!!!

Regards

Peter

Tiger

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 11:00:08 am »
Cheers for the advice guys, I'll leave bearingless on for now but tweak the altitude threshold.

With regard to the other PAW contact, it was certainly legit. My avionics were off at this point and I saw him tracking to my southwest. Because of the similarity of the call sign and the same 'type' I did initially suspect I was looking at myself but this was not the case.

Cheers
James

Admin

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 11:28:55 am »
Hi Peter

Hmm, you should not see your own PAW either on the screen or the table.
You may see your own transponder if Mode-C, or using a different ICAO code

Thx
Lee

grahambaker

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 03:30:02 pm »
I was passing NW-SE to the west of Swindon in an AA5 yesterday - Mode S and PAW. First time heading SE about 13:00L and second time heading NW about 15:00L.

G-BAJO.

Tiger

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 04:15:11 pm »
It was you! I even took a screenshot.

http://i.imgur.com/FRhk7FH.jpg

I had to look up the reg too, as while it's different to mine it was "suspiciously" similar.

G-BJAJ here based at Draycot farm just south of Swindon. Glad you saw this :)

grahambaker

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 04:33:47 pm »
 :)

Richard

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 04:52:05 pm »
Hi Peter

Hmm, you should not see your own PAW either on the screen or the table.
You may see your own transponder if Mode-C, or using a different ICAO code

Thx
Lee

Lee
    On the ground I was checking my PAW and in the table I can see my aircraft transmitting ADSB but it dose not appear on the IPad as it Should not as I have the correct hex set. You are saying I should not see my own aircraft in the table? Or have I missed something. Please don't get me wrong but I find my PAW works brilliantly with out fault.
Richard.
Europa XS

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 05:56:34 pm »
I think he's saying you won't see your own PAW in the table. You'll see your ADS-B if you have it.

Admin

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 06:26:54 pm »
Sorry let me clarify.
You should never see your own PAW, in either TABLE or NAV

You should only see your transponder in the NAV, if the ICAO code does not match your PAW settings

Richard

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 09:11:18 pm »
Thank you lee, that is how it is.... sorry I,m easily confused....  :D
Richard.
Europa XS