Author Topic: FLY IN AT FENLAND SATURDAY 19th SEPT - PILOTAWARE HOTSPOT FOR THE DAY?  (Read 24870 times)

Admin

Re: FLY IN AT FENLAND SATURDAY 19th SEPT - PILOTAWARE HOTSPOT FOR THE DAY?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2015, 06:33:10 pm »
Hi John and all at Fenland,

I was sorry to hear you did not have a great deal of luck on Saturday.
Power is absolutely critical, and I made a long thread here about my findings
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,9.0.html

Regarding the USB power leads, the shorter the better, and also look for the
AWG (American Wire Gauge), needs to be 20AWG or less - the smaller the number
the fatter the wires.

I used these, and I get very little voltage drop.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271936509656

And this adapter (although some report radio interference)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291297256105

Thx
Lee

falcoguy

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2015, 07:18:46 pm »
Report on Fly In at Fenland from 'falcoguy'
Many apologies to Stephen Melody - tried to find you and asked around but didn't meet you - saw the aeroplane come in and go out!  Hope you got something out of the day.  If you want to meet up - please let me know.
Met Duncan and Keith who were very helpful.
My sortie to Fenland - first flight trial was not successful.  'GPS signal kept cutting out'.  In the end I unplugged the Pilot Aware and switched ADSB back on at which point the Tower PilotAware tracked me pretty well, including to parking!  I had had enough of messing around and decided to enjoy the day with friends instead.
After talking to Duncan and Keith tried the Samsung usb cables I'd bought for the kit of parts(previously used a different cable) and on the way home the PilotAware worked beautifully except I hadn't put our Hex code in the aware - so I got a piggy back plane all the way home!
Put Hex code in Aware at home and flew to Sherburn today - unit worked perfectly except for the piggy back plane still on the screen all the way there.  I have some checks to make before declaring there is any issue.
On the way home from Sherburn disaster - Skydemon wouldnt find the GPS and we tried several times even trying without the Flarm input and just selecting location services.  In the end we gave up because flying through Doncaster on Radar service was more vital!
We have made progress and will try again when we have more time to play.  We have ordered the 20awg cable.
Regards to all

Dave T

Richard

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2015, 07:28:35 pm »
David T,
      I,m Based at Sherburn. What aircraft were you in?

Its a shame, I wasn't aware of you or we could have compared devices. I have no dropouts at all just works all the time every time!!!  I was in the Air for 1 hour today at 13:00 to 14:00. Back at Sherburn.......

Sorry David I should have realised from your user name... Looked you up on G-INFO.  The Yellow Falcon. I did see your aircraft.

Richard.
Europa XS
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:26:39 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

John Parker

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 09:26:14 pm »
Evening,
I have on order a juicebitz 20awg short cable, a juicebitz 3amp wall charger for home trial (I'll leave it on for a month if anyone wants to buzz Fenland as I live next door) and also one of Jeremy's USB supplies. If voltage is the issue how can any aircraft maintain this who isn't running one of Jeremy's units. I'm sure Falco Dave has concerns when his retracts drags the voltage down. The ideal would be 12 volt in and regulated on-board the Aware. I'm just thinking the mass market won't be so tolerant as we are with this fussiness.

Richard

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2015, 09:42:13 pm »
John,
    I Agree it could be a drop in voltage within the the aircraft...

I too have Jeramy's Charge 2 unit and it is fited with in the aricraft panel and is turned on when I flick the avionics switch....  the PilotAware is plug into the Charge 2 which stars at the same time. I just leave the PilotAware connected all the time. When I go fly simply connect the Ipad, press go fly.....  Everything works well.

If the Weather  good on Sunday I may Buzz your house I will let you know.
Richard.
Europa XS

Pete

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2015, 11:36:02 pm »
Hi John/Richard.

I managed to fit my unit and get flying today ( Been away 2 weeks) and using the old software release. I have a 48Amp load on my electrical system when retracting/extending gear. I use the Charge 2 USB charger integral to the aircraft and did not have a dropout for the short 30min flight. Also using a Dual 160 Bluetooth receiver with no issues so far.
The only traffic I could see was ADS-B targets as I don't know anybody in the Strubby/Skegness/Boston area using the PilotAware box yet.
I'm hoping to build a few more units and then I can test out the 868Mhz setup.
Can I try to co-ordinate a flyby trial with you guys next week, weather permitting?Any pointers on a supplier for a shorter 868Mhz aerial?  Thanks.
The mind is like an Umbrella, it only works when it is open!

falcoguy

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2015, 08:34:55 am »
Pete/John/Richard

I live a few km from John - under base leg 180 RH for Fenland - though the plane is at a private strip south of here

I'm pleased to meet up, next weekend, weather permitting.  John and I have a few pilotawares running and proved on the ground

Richard - I believe I saw you starting up at Sherburn as we were filling up with fuel.

Dave T

Andy Fell

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2015, 09:29:50 am »
Need to be careful with those el' cheapo 12V to 5V cigarette lighter thingies.  They're a bit of a lottery, some seem ok, others not.

In one post Lee linked to above I've found a fairly good switch mode power supply - you'd have to do some soldering though :-)

DaveT seems to have found a good one too?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:31:34 am by Wobblewing »

Richard

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2015, 09:53:31 am »
I'm hoping to build a few more units and then I can test out the 868Mhz setup.
Can I try to co-ordinate a flyby trial with you guys next week, weather permitting?Any pointers on a supplier for a shorter 868Mhz aerial?  Thanks.

Pete,
   You can get the small Antenna from wierlessthings https://www.wirelessthings.net/868-915-mhz-small-rubber-duck-antenna

Need to be careful with those el' cheapo 12V to 5V cigarette lighter thingies.  They're a bit of a lottery, some seem ok, others not.

I Agree, I had an incident with one ... it melted while in use (on the ground thankfully) so will never use one again.

Sunday will be good for me. I can fly to fenland for lunch... any one up for it this weekend?
Richard.
Europa XS

falcoguy

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2015, 12:07:47 pm »
Richard

that will be OK by me

Pete
I am at a farm strip - White Fen Farm Benwick.  Its grass but pretty smooth - the grass is longer than it used to be but we have 750m (could be more) N-S.  It is smooth and not lumpy like fenland - could meet there if you feel safe to land?  We operate the Falco quite successfully.

Dave T

Pete

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2015, 10:42:53 pm »
Thanks Falcoguy/ Richard

I'm looking at Sunday if ok with you. I'll research your strip as the Lancair has small wheels but 750M will be fine.Thanks for pointer on small antennae

Regards
Pete

The mind is like an Umbrella, it only works when it is open!

falcoguy

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2015, 08:48:20 am »
Pete / Richard
The Falco has 500 x 5 wheels and a littler wheel on the front!  We are OK at white fen farm, benwick.
We could all meet at our strip if you like - although we don't have a restaurant!
I will have to find a way of importing an image - I can let you have more info

Let me know whether the WFF, Benwick is an option.
Dave

falcoguy

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2015, 08:39:16 pm »
Richard

I have been in contact with Pete and due to other commitments we have had to relocate to Saturday.  Are you about?
We are proposing to meet at our strip - White Fen Farm, Benwick about 15m south of fenland around midmorn to mid day

I will monitor the forum to see any replies.  We think we have at least 2 working units for air testing

Dave T

JCurtis

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2015, 09:46:15 pm »
I will have a ground based unit up and running tomorrow, so if anyone is flying near to Cambridge (nearest easy reference point is the A14/A10 junction) it should show up.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Richard

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2015, 10:04:41 pm »
Richard

I have been in contact with Pete and due to other commitments we have had to relocate to Saturday.  Are you about?
We are proposing to meet at our strip - White Fen Farm, Benwick about 15m south of fenland around midmorn to mid day

I will monitor the forum to see any replies.  We think we have at least 2 working units for air testing

Dave T

David,
    Sorry Can't make it on Saturday, We Have The Great Yorkshire Air Show at Former Church Fenton, now Leeds East. I'm also working in the morning so can't get to Sherburn before the close of the ATZ

There will be another day, for sure.  Have fun, and let us all know your results.
Richard.
Europa XS