Author Topic: FLY IN AT FENLAND SATURDAY 19th SEPT - PILOTAWARE HOTSPOT FOR THE DAY?  (Read 24843 times)

falcoguy

Everybody

John Parker and I have been building a few PilotAwares and have at least 2 up and running - maybe more.  We hope to fly /test at the weekend. Being based at Fenland we thought it might be a good further trial for those with running PilotAwares to offer a meet up, and maybe have a PilotAware Hotspot!

Fenland is in the relevant guides - and of course you will find it in SkyDemon!

Dave Thomas

stephenmelody

Re: FLY IN AT FENLAND SATURDAY 19th SEPT - PILOTAWARE HOTSPOT FOR THE DAY?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 11:24:20 am »
Any idea on times that you'll be there? I might fly that way to see if I can pick you up.

Cheers,

Steve

falcoguy

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 01:16:58 pm »
steve
I was thinking of flying in about 11.30
dave t

John Parker

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 03:25:34 pm »
Hi Davey

your neighbour here :) I have a spare iPad. I was planning on leavng it running all day in The tower for anyone to see (anyone is welcome to go in the tower). It should be a good demo day

John

Admin

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 05:42:06 pm »
just out of interest, when showing PilotAware at the LAA rally I wanted an Antenna I could place outside of the marquee
I purchased one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/868MHZ-915MHZ-GSM-3G-Small-99-UK-Omnidirectional-High-gain-Antenna-7DBI-/171802354402?hash=item280037e2e2

Just wondering if this would be useful for your control tower

falcoguy

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 08:22:12 pm »
All

We have tested (on the ground) all 7 of our PilotAwares so far built.  We have to add the barometric sensor next week.  But will take them all to Fenland on Saturday. Some will be flying!

Dave T

Admin

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 08:38:34 pm »
All

We have tested (on the ground) all 7 of our PilotAwares so far built.  We have to add the barometric sensor next week.  But will take them all to Fenland on Saturday. Some will be flying!

Dave T

Hi Dave,

I presume by tested, they could all see each other ?
Did you have all booted and running at the same time, or were you testing in pairs, what was the
test scenario

thx
Lee

falcoguy

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 08:58:01 am »
Test Scenario:
Check of TV screen for correct boot up and fault messages.
Once we had 2 running - one was then taken to a house about 3km down road to be installed in the window!
Then I booted the others up (one at a time - only one iPad!) and tested against the distance one transmitting P3i and ADSB inputs.  Used phone to check that P3i signals could be seen both ways.

We have had a problem with the distance one (John Parkers) switching the collision aware software off many times, which made testing painful.  We think however that this was because he had SkyDemon Updates ticked for both Ground use and INFLIGHT.  John has now disabled inflight updates and wie will try again today.  All mine (with no inflight updates) were stable over many hours.

We are hoping to have a minimum of three or (more possible with associated hardware) running concurrently tomorrow at the Fenland Fly In. 1 we hope in the tower, and minimum 2 in the air.

So far so good - next week we hope to implement the Barometric Sensors in all seven currently running when they arrive.  Then we will distribute the units to the participating parties!

Thanks for all your hard work

Dave T

stephenmelody

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 09:07:31 am »
I'm planning on coming in with a friend. Will be really interested to test my device as I've no idea if the ARF is working. Not sure of arrival, will have to let you guys know, but it might be a little earlier than 11:30.

John Parker

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 09:20:07 am »
I'm there by 9.00 and will have it up and running in the tower shortly after. perhaps if you include pilot aware in your tx call we can look for the target range and take notes. It's fair to say we are all excited in anticipation at Fenland especialy if a ground monitoring station is developed. we often have flight-radar on in the tower now the adsb is in action.

stephenmelody

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 09:30:11 am »
I'll be flying G-BXEX. Will mention it getting PPR. Will be inbound from the west (Nottingham).

Will call up "callsign, inbound, pilotaware system, request airfield information"

Then you should be able to pick me up... Hopefully...

Does that work?

falcoguy

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 10:05:43 am »
we will be in Falco G-CCOR.  Only coming from strip 10mins away!  Sian (my wife) will be flying so we will fly around a bit in the local area.  It will be our first in flight test with the pilotaware.

With luck will have a pilotaware in the tower as well.  Its a fly in so PPR not necessary.  Call up will be OK - good idea to let the tower know you have a pilotaware unit.  They already spot us - but with ADSB.

John Parker will be around - he's a tall slim guy - he has a Eurostar based fenland G-VORN.  He will also be on his first PilotAware flight trials! 

Look forward to meeting you

Dave Thomas

thearb

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 05:39:58 pm »
planning on being there Saturday morning.

Admin

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 06:13:15 pm »
I really wish I could make this, put I have a committment early afternoon I cannot shift.

I feel like I am missing the birth of one of my children !

Luckily Keith and Dominic will be along with all their experience to date,
I Look forward to the reports on the forum tomorrow evening.

Best of luck

Thx
Lee

bnmont

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 08:58:49 pm »
I'm hoping to come up before lunch with a couple of other flexwings from Sandy. We took part in the early testing in the air at Long Marston.
We havent yet built any PilotAware systems. It will be good to see how it has progressed and to see the units that John Parker and falconguy have built.
Falconguy I believe we spoke about the system in the cafe at Fenland some time back.
I have just setup my Transponder to do ADSB out ( I may take part in the nats trial) might do a test enroute!
Brian