Author Topic: Repeated Connection to GPS Loss  (Read 12207 times)

AerialRob

Repeated Connection to GPS Loss
« on: October 02, 2016, 04:10:00 pm »
During todays flight SkyDemon kept advising "The connection to your GPS has been lost"
This has occurred perhaps once or twice on previous flights but never to the extent it did today when I had to continually select "FLY" in SkyDemon then "Flarm" option.
Sometimes it established connection with GPS but on to many times it failed and SkyDemon advised :Failed to establish connection with the Butterfly connect unit".
I have been using the August issue of the PilotAware software since its release but updated the SkyDemon App yesterday to version 3.6.5.51.
The PilotAware is supplied by an onboard charge4 unit using the supplied cable.
I use an iPhone 6.

Back on the ground with the device set up in the garden ,using an Anker 20000 battery ,Im getting the same result with GPS connection lost although PilotAware advises receiving 8 satellites.

The only difference from previous quite satisfactory airborne and static use is the new SkyDemon software version.

I did get to see some traffic whilst airborne and the new text size/location identifying contacts is much clearer .

Admin

Re: Repeated Connection to GPS Loss
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 07:41:36 pm »
Hi AerialRob

The message is a little confusing isnt it, the problem is unrelated to GPS, this is actually a WiFi issue. Whats is going wrong is difficult to know. I looked at some of your previous postings, and you did have similar issues a while back I think.

Seems you are doing all the right thing regarding power supply and cable

The version of SkyDemon which you loaded, do you know when that was released ?

The last possibility is a problem with the wifi dongle

Thx
Lee

AerialRob

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 08:10:52 pm »

Hi Lee.

I received an automatic message on the iPhone this Saturday, after being outside the country for a week, that the SkyDemon app had an update available.

Im a little uncertain now that the same problem was occurring on the ground as I was using the phone at the same time of the early testing and this may have interferred with the operation of the SkyDemon app.

The device has been running now in the garden for the last 2 hours with the SkyDemon app running undisturbed and it has not lost GPS connection.

This mornings flight involved lots of manouvering and I was wondering if this could cause the problem .

Admin

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 09:19:12 pm »
So just to be clear for anyone reading this thread.
The message about 'loss of GPS connection', is totally unrelated to the GPS dongle.
This message indicates that there is a wifi problem between the tablet and Pilotaware

Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 09:57:17 pm »
Have you tried moving the units further apart? I had some issues with a 2012 Nexus 7 with proximity. If you're at home, try putting them as close together as you put them in the aeroplane and try that.

Could it also be the iPhone trying to connect to other Wifis looking for an internet connection?

AerialRob

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 10:24:19 pm »
I operate the system on the ground with the iPhone as close  to the PilotAware device as it is in the aircraft and don't have problems with SkyDemon advising lost GPS.
During the past 6 flights SkyDemon may advise lost GPS about about two or three times each trip but today it was constantly advising lost GPS .
I had a problem with the device as supplied new when wifi connection could not be achieved.
This was resolved ,to some extent, with the replacement wifi dongle issued by yourselves.

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 10:49:01 pm »
Hi guys,

Tim released the new version after the work he did with us at the LAA Rally. I have been using it extensively on my iPad mini over the past few days and have not experienced any unusual dropouts.

Regards

Peter

AerialRob

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 10:51:07 pm »
Hi Lee
The SkyDemon app update was issued 19th September.

DaveStyles

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 08:06:49 pm »
Hi Rob,

Can you return the whole unit to us under warranty and we'll have a look at it and repair/replace as necessary and get it back to you.

I'll PM you the returns address.

Dave Styles.

AerialRob

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 10:30:34 pm »
Hi Dave

I replied to your PM but not sure it sent successfully  ?

Can you please advise if it arrived.

Thanks

DaveStyles

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 11:27:01 pm »
Hi Rob,

Arrived, I'll reply tomorrow,

regards

Dave.

AerialRob

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 07:22:51 pm »
Hi Dave

Do you consider I should return the device for testing ?

Thanks

DaveStyles

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 01:57:58 pm »
Hi Rob,

I've replied to your PM, but I'll post the reply here for info.

------

Hi Rob,

having read your last PM, I think you are getting some sort of shielding effect from the panel and the iPhone holder.

As you said it's fine when not in it's holder, but loses connection when you place it back in it's holder, I'm pretty sure this is the case.

When SkyDemon says it has lost GPS what it actually means is it has lost the WiFi.

Your proposed solution of moving the wifi dongle with a USB lead should get around this issue.

Didn't we replace the WiFi dongles already, so I'm pretty sure you've not been unlucky enough to get 3 bad dongles !

I think your solution will fix it, as you already know it works when the phone is not in it's holder. Moving the wifi nearer the holder should circumvent the screening. 

regards

Dave.

AerialRob

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 01:41:36 pm »
To be clear I had one replacement wifi dongle when the original supplied with my new device this June failed to connect to any device during the initial set up.
The replacement wifi dongle cured this problem and I have been using PilotAware since then quite successfully albeit with the occassional loss of wifi up until last weekend when wifi connection was lost repeatedly during a 1.5 hour flight.

I undertook tests today in the aeroplane on the ground with the wifi dongle plugged directly into the PilotAware device and wifi connection to SkyDemon was lost after approximately 15 mins.
I then tried the wifi dongle  on a 500mm usb extension lead so that it was in direct line of site ,with 400mm separation ,of my iPhone but wifi connection to SkyDemon was again lost after approx 15minutes.
Following that I operated SkyDemon on a Samsung tablet and unfortunately lost connection to SkyDemon again.

So Im not certain what is causing this problem as these tests have ruled out a shielding issue.

I will carry out some inflight test soon but Im not convinced the problem is rectified.

Admin

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 02:11:20 pm »
Hi Rob

Reading back through the posts, am I correct that the problem only exists in the plane ?
You mentioned in the garden it is was fine for 2 hrs

In which case how do the following differ in the two scenarios.
1. Power supply
2. Distance between devices

I am wondering if the issue is rf saturation rather than a weak/shielded signal.
If this is the case, there is an option to reduce the wifi transmit power in the web server settings

Thx
Lee