Author Topic: PAW website  (Read 8865 times)

JimN

PAW website
« on: September 21, 2016, 03:09:43 pm »
Over the last few days I've tried logging into pilotaware.com

A couple of days ago all I got was errors and now there is something not worth having.

Please admin, take down the new pilotaware.com website and put the old one back until the new one is developed.

Having a quarter finished website with no useful information and no working links on it looks very poor and won't do the image of pilot aware as a serous product any good at all.

Very sad I had to write this.

Admin

Re: PAW website
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 03:19:18 pm »
you can still access the old website

http://www.pilotaware.co.uk - old site
http://www.pilotaware.com - work in progress

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 03:21:43 pm »
Hi Jim

Apologies for this. We are updating the PilotAware website and it has a lot of information on it. We are getting this done as soon as possible. In the the meantime the old website can be found at pilotaware.co.uk

JimN

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 03:22:47 pm »
Google takes you straight to the new web site which is how most prospective new users would get to it I think.

A temp home page directing to the old site perhaps?

captchaos

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 07:45:56 pm »
As mentioned the new website is not work to get documentation etc. and the links on the old site are broken. Any idea how to access ops manual,  etc?

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 08:16:36 am »
These documents are also available from the 'downloads' tab on www.pilotawarehardware.com

Regards

Peter

SteveN

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 07:59:13 am »
Sorry chaps IMHO all that bling is retrograde step.

Animation and flash type stuff just makes website a pain in the a**e.

You are not trying to sell overpriced cars to chavs.

K.I.S.S.

Richard W

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 11:41:13 am »
I agree. I would vote with my mouse if I didn't already know all about the device.

(edit) It appears that I have caused offence, for which I apologise, and have removed the word in question.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:56:18 pm by Richard W »

Moffrestorer

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 01:08:23 pm »
Lee and Team,

I'm in favour of the new web-site. It's informative, slick and professional looking. There is the odd typo here and there but overall I feel it presents a good image for the product/system without being overly "techie".

Hopefully some of the existing documents such as the Operations Manual will remain available for download from the Hardware site (oops just noticed it's available here also!)

Thanks for all your hard work.

Regards,

Chris

Keithvinning

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 01:45:19 pm »
Hi Chaps

Thanks for the feedback which will help us to tailor the website over the next few weeks.
Steve we will tone down some of the what you call Bling thanks for the input.
Jim all the latest information is now available on the website under the pages tab.
Chris thanks for the opposing view.
Producing the website is always a juxtapose between KISS and getting across a lot of technical data and introducing the product to those who know nowt.

Cheers

Keith

JimN

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 03:09:01 pm »
Had a crawl round the new web site.
A bit blingy, but most seems to be there and fairly easy to find.
Easier to use than the old web site.
No obvious link though to licencing, both cost and "how to", which with people I've talked to seems to be one of the most asked questions.
Keep up the good work.

Keithvinning

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 03:27:32 pm »
No obvious link though to licencing, both cost and "how to", which with people I've talked to seems to be one of the most asked questions.

Hi Jim

Thanks for the feed back. The "how to" is in fact in the Easy Start Guide under Pages Downloads. We'll have a look at bringing it to the fore.

Thanks

Keith

buzz53

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 04:39:18 pm »
Is the PAW protocol document available on the new site? Actually, just noticed it doesn't seem to be on the old one either!

Alan

Admin

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 05:35:41 pm »
Is the PAW protocol document available on the new site? Actually, just noticed it doesn't seem to be on the old one either!

Alan

This doc needs a serious rewrite.
If you tell me what your intention is, I can probably briefly describe what you need.
The C Header File will tell you the datatypes and their meanings, but does not describe the framing
information for the passing of longer messages.
Thx
Lee

buzz53

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 06:24:27 pm »
Thanks Lee. At the moment it's just idle curiosity though I was also a little worried that you were doing a Flarm and going "closed"!

Actually I do have one question, though maybe it needs a new thread. With the unsurprising emergence of ground stations for tracking purposes, I did wonder if the protocol provides for a "do not track" flag, as does Flarm. Although I am not a fan of Flarm's closed model, they have ended up doing many things quite well, including this. Also, I suspect if you have ambitions outside the UK, you may need to provide this facility (I believe Flarm were compelled to adopt it rather doing it on their own initiative). Since Flarm has a mandatory periodic firmware update this was quite easy for them to do, but as Pilotaware has (I believe) no firmware lifecycle, then it might be better to provide for it sooner rather than later.

Alan