Author Topic: 12v to 5 v power supply  (Read 12060 times)

Richard

Re: 12v to 5 v power supply
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 07:34:19 pm »
Jeramy
    Did you ever test the above? What are the results?
Richard.
Europa XS

JCurtis

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 08:54:07 pm »
Jeramy
    Did you ever test the above? What are the results?

I ordered one, but as yet nothing arrived.  I've just ordered another one - delivery is estimated at end of November.  I've moved up from the £2.99 to the premium £3.65 version, I'm sure that will make all the difference  8)

I have been mulling a tweak to my 4 port chargers to also offer a 12v out, for those who have 28v aircraft and also want to use a.n.other 12v device - so only need the one  supply for USB and 12v.  Depends on what power output people would want at 12v.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Richard

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 10:39:22 pm »
The 12v output sounds like a good idea. It would help if someone wanting to power FLARM Mouse or Redbox from a 28v aircraft. 
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 11:48:32 pm »
Hi Jeremy,

Following Richards train of thought....

From LXNav FlarmMouse Manual - LXNav FlarmMouse - 36 mA at 12 Volts, plus an extra 10mA at 12 Volts if using the standard LXNav external LED display.

From LX Navigation Red Box Manual - LX Navigation Red Box - ca. 60 mA at 12 volts, plus extra if using e.g. an LX Navigation external LED display. (LX Navigation recommends a 1 Amp fuse in the Red Box power lead at 12 volts, so presumably supply should be rated at least 1 Amp.)

I'm sure others will have plenty of alternative suggestions. Fortunately I'm on a 12 volt system (with a Charge 4).

Regards

Peter

T67M

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 08:19:28 am »
I have been mulling a tweak to my 4 port chargers to also offer a 12v out, for those who have 28v aircraft and also want to use a.n.other 12v device - so only need the one  supply for USB and 12v.  Depends on what power output people would want at 12v.

Yes please! The only real use I can think of is the FLARM, and it doesn't need much urge - even 100mA might be enough, but 250mA ought to be plenty. Could you add a 12V output on the Charge2 as well? We're just about to kick off a major panel upgrade on our (28V) share-o-plane and two Charge2s are in the drawings (one on the panel, and one in the rear). Deriving a 12V output for the FLARM mouse was one of the headaches remaining as we're rather tight for space, especially on the panel.

JCurtis

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2016, 09:13:57 am »

Yes please! The only real use I can think of is the FLARM, and it doesn't need much urge - even 100mA might be enough, but 250mA ought to be plenty. Could you add a 12V output on the Charge2 as well? We're just about to kick off a major panel upgrade on our (28V) share-o-plane and two Charge2s are in the drawings (one on the panel, and one in the rear). Deriving a 12V output for the FLARM mouse was one of the headaches remaining as we're rather tight for space, especially on the panel.

It's a bit tight in a Charge2, but potentially possible, it's a reasonable form factor I think and I wouldn't really want to make it any bigger (although it would only be longer).  I have to be careful about the costs involved, component prices have gone up 15%-20% over the last few months - my current stock of bits is running very low bought at pre-increase prices.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Robski

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 02:43:56 pm »
I use one of these to run both my SD Nexus 7 and PAW:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OUK0N26/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut the ciggy lighter plug off and wired it into a fuse on the RV's avionics bus. I have heard this in not recommended, but it seems to work fine.
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.