Author Topic: Live traffic on a PC  (Read 4714 times)

Sean McDonald

Live traffic on a PC
« on: September 10, 2016, 11:15:41 am »
I'm trying to connect my new PAW to a PC to see live traffic as demonstrated at Sywell. I have it working on a tablet fine but is there a way to connect to a windows PC with Skydemon. PAW is connected to the PC via but not Skydemon via GPS in go flying mode.
As its pi$$ing down here I thought I would at least watch Ryanair etc!

Admin

Re: Live traffic on a PC
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 12:22:21 pm »
Hi Sean,

Yes this works.
You need to save your settings to the cloud from your tablet, then load from the cloud on the PC
Thx
Lee

Sean McDonald

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 07:48:48 am »
Thanks Lee,
Done that but no joy. When SD tries to get a GPS signal from the PAW it either gives an error message, freezes on looking for GPS or I get a message SD isn't working and shuts down. I'm using a laptop on a docking station and wifi only though could hard wire. Laptop is seeing PAW ok as I can look at the traffic page etc. Not a big issue but will spend some non flying time looking at it too. Have ordered the dipole aerial and GPS mouse for the plane.
As a matter of interest can the PAW unit be cabled to a pc via the wifi port or will it work wifi only?
Thanks again,
Sean

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 09:23:16 am »
As a matter of interest can the PAW unit be cabled to a pc via the wifi port

Do you mean ethernet port? I've had my PAW connected to my router via ethernet and then run Sky Demon on my home network connected to it. You need to keep the Wifi dongle in when doing that as you need to have the 192.168.1.1 address available, and your router must be on another address.

When you had a lack of GPS signal, was the PAW situated somewhere with a clear view of the sky to be able to get a GPS signal?

Sean McDonald

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 09:53:57 am »
No I meant using the Wifi port to cable to the PC but see that the ethernet port could be a solution.

Re the GPS signal, yes it was fine. Or at least I'm assuming so as I could see airliners on the traffic page. I did use the tablet which worked ok though not as well as on its own gps which locates signal well.

On the SD dropdown for Go Flying there are options for GPS?

Start Gps
Connect to Flarm device
Connect to Dynon Skyview
Connect to X-Plane

Have tried them all!

As a matter of interest can the PAW unit be cabled to a pc via the wifi port

Do you mean ethernet port? I've had my PAW connected to my router via ethernet and then run Sky Demon on my home network connected to it. You need to keep the Wifi dongle in when doing that as you need to have the 192.168.1.1 address available, and your router must be on another address.

When you had a lack of GPS signal, was the PAW situated somewhere with a clear view of the sky to be able to get a GPS signal?

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 09:56:41 am »
FLARM for the PAW. Have you set the Air Connect key to 6000? I don't have SD on a PC at the moment, so these are just guesses!  :)

Not entirely sure how you wire to a Wifi port - do you mean the USB socket the Wifi dongle is plugged in to?

Admin

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 10:18:44 am »
Connect your PC to the PilotAware HotSpot

Setup->Device_Connectivity_Options
Search PATH = 192.168.1.1
Butterfly Connect Key = 6000

Go_Flying->Connect_To_Flarm_Device

Sean McDonald

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 10:45:12 am »
Thanks Paul - yes meant the USB where the wifi dongle is.

Will give the other solution a shot later. Got a garage to clean out (apparently!) and hoping to fly later if the wind is ok...

Sean McDonald

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 06:04:23 pm »
Success! Thanks for the help guys.