Author Topic: Configuration screens: What exactly do all the parameters mean?  (Read 5386 times)

DavidC

Configuration screens: What exactly do all the parameters mean?
« on: September 16, 2015, 09:59:53 am »
YEAH! It works - well at least the ADS-B receiver bit (waiting for parts for ARF board for Phase 2).
So I built it by just plugging together Raspberry Pi B+, 8GB SDRAM card, Wi-Fi dongle, RTL Dongle.
Also for debugging/config use, required an HMDI monitor/cable and a USB keyboard but no mouse, plus a power supply.

Lee provided a licence code by return.

It takes about 60 seconds to boot up from cold.

There were two separate config screens that I used. Attached are screenshots of both.
1) Web Config Page
On my iPad, after connecting to the Pilotaware hotspot, opening up the browser with 192.168.1.1 gave me the config screen to enter the licence code. The page has information, three buttons and three parameter boxes:

Information: Software build in brackets, followed by licence expiry date

Buttons are:
Home - refreshes the screen because there is only one page
Reboot - does a cold reboot
Save - I guess it sends the displayed parameters to the box

Parameters are:
Ident (Autogenerated)
QNH (mB) - Default is 1013 standard pressure setting
License - Enter the licence code emailed on request by Lee (request in the forum thread above)
Test

According to this Forum post , you should enter your 6 digit ICAO Hex transponder code here. This can be found by looking it up on the CAA G-INFO website and is a six digit Hex code
For example: G-WIZZ is 402348
You can lookup any UK aircraft registration and the code is shown if it has Mode S
https://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1

QNH defaults to 1013. This should be set to current QNH prior to each flight, and will change/convert the GPS altitude shown on SkyDemon to match pressure altitude (i.e. what your altimeter shows). This feature was added very recently as discussed in this forum thread.

2) Collision Aware App

Downloaded from the Apple App Store.

The slider control to enable P3I only works when the iPad is connected to the box via WiFi.

There are three parameters:

a) ICAO Code: Superceded by the webpage Ident field above

b) Power: This is the RF peak transmit power measured in dBM, defaults to 27dBm = 500mW
See http://www.cpcstech.com/dbm-to-watt-conversion-information.htm
This is the maximum power permitted in this unlicenced frequency in the UK

c) Region: Defaults to Europe and states the frequency used 868 point something (unfortunately the box is too narrow to show the full data field, but it does scroll when selected).

An UPDATE button at the bottom presumably saves any changed parameters.
Typically, users would not change any of these parameters

So instructions for setting the parameters would be
First time:
a) Enter licence code on 192.168.1.1 and press reboot
Prior to each flight
a) Enter QNH on 192.168.1.1 web page and press save
b) If flying different aircraft each time (e.g. in a club) then enter ICAO code on 192.168.1.1 and press save.

I don't think there should be any need to change Ident, RF power setting, Region or use the Test feature.

If you don't have a transponder or don't have a Mode S registration, just leave it as the default all zeros. Worst case, your own aircraft will show up on the screen as a continuous potential conflict.

I may be wrong about having to change the pressure setting prior to each flight, so would appreciate understanding that specific point.

Is the above correct?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:39:37 am by DavidC »

ianfallon

Re: Configuration screens: What exactly do all the parameters mean?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 10:57:34 am »
IIRC all registered aircraft have allocated 24bit hex IDs (shown on G-INFO) regardless of whether they have Mode S fitted or not.

DavidC

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 11:42:50 am »
all registered aircraft have allocated 24bit hex IDs (shown on G-INFO) regardless of whether they have Mode S fitted or not.

I thought that too, but noticed that some registrations don't appear to have one. I guess anything that could have Mode S fitted should have a code assigned.

I'll have to make a list for all the club aircraft I fly and keep this on my kneeboard.
(Hint: A nice feature would be a dropdown selection list of previously entered Hex codes and Aircraft Reg they relate to, to make it easy to switch between them for each flight).

Admin

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 03:35:28 pm »
You got it absolutely right DavidC !

The CollisionAware fields will be removed in the future, takes a lot of time getting through Apple