Author Topic: Traffic page auto-refresh  (Read 3132 times)

grahambaker

Traffic page auto-refresh
« on: August 29, 2016, 05:15:13 am »
Anyone else find the Traffic page unusable when it's more than a screenful?

I generally use PAW with an iPad and inbuilt Safari browser in landscape orientation. It doesn't take long to build up a list of traffic that is longer than the screen will accommodate, but it's impossible to review the lower part of the list when the (<1 second?) refresh constantly resets the screen to top of page. It also takes repeated rapid presses of the respective button to navigate to another screen.

Can you make the screen static, with options to manually/auto refresh (with buttons at top!)

exfirepro

Re: Traffic page auto-refresh
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 04:31:34 pm »
Hi Graham,

How far off the screen is it going? I very rarely get that long a list. Don't be too bothered about the stuff down at the bottom. Generally most of the stuff you need to worry about is the higher signal strength contacts further up the table. All relevant ADSB/P3i contacts will be presented on screen in any case and the higher strength Mode C/S contacts will generally be further up the table - unless you are getting so much CAT traffic that it's pushing everything else off. If that is the case your better option would be to reduce your traffic notification altitudes (in SD or equivalent) to say +/- 2000ft and reduce your Mode C/S detect range to Medium or even Short Range.

This will help reduce the 'clutter' and leave the stuff you really need to see visible.

Regards

Peter

grahambaker

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 07:01:08 pm »
I'll need to check my settings. The unit is in the aircraft and I'm not likely to fly until Wednesday evening  :(, so I'll check then.

Thanks.

T67M

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 07:10:28 pm »
I also find the list easily exceeds the length of my screen, and I have already set +/-2000ft and C/S "short" - but I do operate from a busy airfield close to Gatwick and in a glass-fibre aircraft and moderately well sited aerials.

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 08:43:40 am »
Hi again Mike/Graham

As I say, I do appreciate the position. I live just south of Edinburgh Airport, so do get a fair number on the list when testing from home, but haven't found this to be a problem in flight. You need to be aware that the traffic screen is principally provided to allow us to see what is going on in the background under 'relaxed' conditions - not when we should be looking outside for a contact. We wouldn't expect pilots to be swapping back and forward between screens in flight (though we do have to do so quite a bit during testing).The way the system works is that PAW receives and decodes all available traffic signals and uses the traffic screen as a sort of 'holding pen' before filtering them and presenting ADSB and P3i within your selected altitude filter range, together with the 'strongest' / highest risk only of the bearingless Mode C/S contacts to your Nav system. So a fair proportion of the traffic at the bottom of the table is effectively irrelevant as far as the Nav system and pilot is concerned.

Remember also that on this occasion, Lee has released a Beta Development Version early so you can all benefit from Mode C detection while we continue to test and further refine the software. Your comments will of course be taken into account in this development. Meantime, please try not to get too hung up on the traffic table.

Hope this helps relieve your concerns

Regards

Peter