Author Topic: Progress  (Read 22953 times)

Admin

Re: Progress
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 10:08:03 am »
I just decided to take a chance on the ARF-board and soldered the wires to the other side - and it works ;)
So if you look at the side with the antenna connector, Pin 1 is left of the connector.  ;D

Hi Seb
Excellent, well done in getting another device working.
You fixed it before I managed to make a posting.

Are you near to Markus Krauss ?

Thx
Lee

onkelmuetze

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 12:34:36 pm »
Where is he located? My Homebase is EDXG, about 80 km west of Hannover.

Admin

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 12:55:08 pm »
Where is he located? My Homebase is EDXG, about 80 km west of Hannover.

user name is mjkrauss

Thx
Lee

BobD

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 12:09:51 am »
I just decided to take a chance on the ARF-board and soldered the wires to the other side - and it works ;)

So if you look at the side with the antenna connector, Pin 1 is left of the connector.  ;D

Hi Onkelmuetze,

I have had problems trying to source the correct Xbee Adapter, so have purchased the same powerpod as you. If I read the above post correctly, and looking at the jpeg you provided in the previous post, after swapping the wires around, could you please confirm the correct pinouts are as follows:

ARF                        POD                          IDC

VIN --------------------- 2 (PWR)
10 ------------------- GND -------------------- 6 (GND)
 1 -------------------- VOUT
 3 ---------------------------------------------- 8 (TXD)
 2 ---------------------------------------------- 10 (RXD)

From your photo (copy attached) it appears that pin GND on the pod takes inut from the IDC, and provides output to pin 10 on the ARF, via two wires soldered together, but I just can't quite make this out from the photo.

Forgive my ignorance on this, but I am following the 'painting by numbers' method for hardware assembly, and am wary of making expensive mistakes.

BobD

onkelmuetze

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 06:06:31 am »
Hi Bob,

your pinout is correct!

GND on the PowerPod is used for GND from the IDC and the ARF. Just make sure you solder all the wires to the correct side of the ARF, my picture in the previous post shows my first try, which was the wrong side. It did not kill the ARF though, so if you get it wrong, you should still have a second chance ;)

Seb

BobD

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 02:02:48 pm »
Hi Seb,

Are there any visual indications (i.e. lights), that the unit is working, after soldering and prior to assembly, such as those given with the Digole Regulator ? If not, is there any software indication available to prove the item ?

Best Regards

BobD

Admin

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 02:12:33 pm »
Are there any visual indications (i.e. lights), that the unit is working, after soldering and prior to assembly, such as those given with the Digole Regulator ? If not, is there any software indication available to prove the item ?

If you have used the Digole 3.3v regulator, you should see a blue flashing LED.
This is the 'heartbeat' output of the ARF

Thx
Lee

BobD

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 02:20:01 pm »
Hi Lee,

I am still waiting for a Digole Regulator to arrive from China for my second unit build, so I have tried the PowerPod that Seb has used on his unit. However, unlike the Digole, I can't see a 'heartbeat' indicator (unless I am missing it), so I wondered if there is another way to test the unit before assembly. I can see the heartbeat  on the Digole you sent me, so am fairly confident that the original unit is working. I want to complete the second unit, before I visit a friend with an Ipad for final testing.

Regards
BobD

Admin

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 02:25:42 pm »
Hi Bob,

Sorry, now I understand.
If you have a monitor connected to the RPi as it boots, you should see some messages appear regarding
programming up the ARF, this of course depends when you took the copy of PilotAware.zip, because this was only introduced
recently

I am slowly trying to build in diagnostics for this kind of information

If messages appear, then the ARF is probably working correctly

Thx
Lee

BobD

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2015, 11:13:45 am »
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the info, the ARF messages do appear on booting, so I guess my hamfisted soldering has worked after all  :)
My download of the zip file was from 20/08, so I guess it is the latest release.
As I requested in a previous post, these software diagnostic messages are really useful for those like me with limited electronic testing experience. I only yesterday bought a Multimeter, but have only used if for connectivity testing so far.
So now I have two units ready for testing, but no Apple product to use yet  :( That should be rectified later this week when I pass on one unit to a friend with an Ipad.
Roll on the Android version of PilotAware !

Best Regards
BobD

Robski

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 02:27:09 pm »
Roll on the Android version of PilotAware !
Seconded!

Not that I'm complaining, Lee!
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

onkelmuetze

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 08:44:01 am »
Hi Seb,

Sorry for my late answer, I was on holidays - there are no light indicators if you use the PowerPod from wirelessthings, but if you have a look at the pinout of the ARF-board, you will find a pin called "heartbeat" or "H-BEAT". You just need to put a LED with sufficient resisitor between the heartbeat-pin and GND.

stephenmelody

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 11:17:20 am »
@BobD and @Onkelmeutze,

Think I'm going the same route as you guys with mine, all the bits have pretty much arrived. Was wondering, how did you secure the ARF board and PowerPOD to the RPi casing? Are you putting anything between them and the main RPi board?

I'm a bit of a novice at this and likely to create an expensive mistake!!

Cheers!

Steve.

BobD

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 12:27:51 pm »
Hi Stephen,

I simply bought a cheap hot glue gun, and glued both individual parts to the top of the case, positioning them so that neither would foul anything on the main board (see attached photo).

BobD

ianfallon

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 05:48:30 pm »
Thanks for this pic Bob - exactly what I'm going to do when the bits arrive  8)