Author Topic: Pilot Aware returned  (Read 12282 times)

BobD

Re: Pilot Aware returned
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 08:58:33 am »
Sorry Bobby, I have had to postpone my flight today, so won't be at Gamston. PM me with your mobile number, and I'll liaise with you for when I am next there.

Bob

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 06:03:30 pm »
What you really need are two people/aeroplanes with PAWs flying at the same time so that you can see the other.

BobD

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 08:57:52 am »
Bobby, it was good to meet you at Gamston yesterday, and to demonstrate my PAW to you. I hope I did enough to encourage you to return to the fold  :)

As I explained, I was hoping to check out the Mode S detection as part of my flight yesterday, and can confirm that the rings showing around my aircraft did change colour from green/yellow/red when Mode S was detected. The indication of vertical separation is very difficult to see on my SkyDemon (I use it on my HTC Phone), so the audio warnings would be useful for me.
I think it would be almost essential to have the audio option in use on PAW, I haven't managed this yet in the air, but have validated that it works by using a cheapo radio headset connected to PAW when ground testing. There is another thread on here somewhere that explains how to combine the audio from PAW with a normal headset.

One interesting thing from yesterdays flight was that we detected a target approaching on a reciprocal heading, approx. 200ft above us, and we were at 3000ft. I guess it was an ADS-B target, unless he also had a PAW. Although we were in receipt of a Basic Service, we received no warning about it (Understandable as it was much higher). It flew almost directly overhead, and turned out to be a helicopter. I thought those thing only flew just above ground level  ;)

AlanG

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 10:21:03 am »
Hi Bob

I don't think I would be referring to 200' as "Much Higher".  It doesn't leave an awful lot of room for error/difference in altimeter readings and GPS altitude readings.
In a recent similar situation I made a definite right turn  to increase lateral separation and in your case I think I would also have considered pushing the nose down.   :D

Regards
Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 10:35:17 am »
Hi Bob,

Glad you and Bobby managed to hook up at last. Lee, myself and others from our group have been working with Tim Dawson of SkyDemon on depiction of bearingless targets and as a result we should see a significant improvement in the next SkyDemon update. The Audio warnings are also a great help and well worth connecting.

I'm a bit confused about your reciprocal heading helicopter target, Bob - if it was a moving 'aircraft' symbol it must have been ADSB or P3i. You also say '200ft above us', then later '....we received no warning about it (Understandable as it was much higher). Did you mean 2,000ft above us? If it was only 200ft above you I'd say PilotAware certainly proved it's worth.

Best Regards

Peter

BobD

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2016, 12:36:57 pm »
My typo ! It was 2000 ft above. If it was 200 I would have dived for the deck 😁
It was a moving aircraft symbol, so I guess out was ADS-B signal.

T67M

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 06:04:49 pm »
Although we were in receipt of a Basic Service, we received no warning about it

You do realise that the ONLY thing that a Basic Service guarantees you is that the Air Traffic Controller has written your registration on a paper strip, don't you? You should not get traffic information from the controller.

BobD

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 10:26:32 pm »
Yes I know that, but the fantastic Controllers in our part of the World often go above & beyond, work load permitting.
  :) :) :)

exfirepro

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 11:47:34 pm »
Hi Bob,

Likewise with our local Edinburgh ATC. They will usually advise of conflicting traffic even on a basic service and are also very good at calling up with traffic info if we are using the listening squawk. A bit embarrassing to have to tell them we already have the traffic on our cockpit displays.... You can almost hear them thinking..... 'What.... In a flexwing microlight'. That's the power of PilotAware!

Regards

Peter