Author Topic: Questions from a new builder  (Read 4192 times)

4535jacks

Questions from a new builder
« on: August 09, 2016, 04:48:19 pm »
I am just about to embark on a PAW build and hope to design a system with a rechargeable battery pack inside the case which can be recharged using a USB port on the casing.

Anyway before I buy the Pi I have a few questions:

1.  Can a Raspberry Pi 3 be used and if so is a wifi adapted still required or can the onboard wifi carb card be used?

2.  What is the minimum size of Mini-SD card required and is there a minimum read/write speed?

Thanks in advance,

Jacks

Admin

Re: Questions from a new builder
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 04:54:45 pm »
Hi Jacks

Currently we support piB+, or pi2b, our recommendation at the moment is pi2b, this allows mode c detection and audio.

Regarding back powering through USB, please be advised this will not start the unit to boot, power must be applied via the micro usb for startup, lots of articles online to explain this

Regarding the micro sd card, minimum 4gb, for all other requirements refer to rasbperry pi foundation articles

Thx
Lee

4535jacks

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 05:11:58 pm »
Good job I asked the question as I almost bought a Pi 3 today from Maplins today!

So I then need to buy the ARF bridge, ADS-B antenna, Bluetooth card, wifi adapter, GPS dongle and barometer mic pressure adapter.  Anything else??

Jacks

Keithvinning

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 05:19:04 pm »
Hi jacks
Have a look at the post on August 02 2016 under known good hardware
This will give you the latest parts to use.
It's not much cheaper building it yourself that buying a built and tested unit that comes with a waranty though

Regards
Keith

DaveStyles

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 08:29:15 pm »
No need to self build any more....

www.pilotawarehardware.com

and you have to use the official bridge anyway if you do.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 08:30:54 pm by DaveStyles »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 10:01:23 pm »
The bridge module comes with the barometric sensor on board. I don't think you need bluetooth for anything.

So:

Pi
Case
Bridge + 868MHz antenna
DVB-T dongle for ADS-B (usually comes with an antenna)
GPS (one of either VK-162 or VK-172)
Wifi dongle