Author Topic: Antenna location in a flexwing  (Read 2829 times)

peastlake

Antenna location in a flexwing
« on: August 02, 2016, 10:45:27 pm »
So I've mounted the unit on the top of my Quik pod, but I don't  think this is the best location for the PAW antenna. What's the best place in a trike? And what's the best antenna? I was thinking of the stick-on dipole as sold on the PAW hardware website, mounted on the side of the monopole fairing, so it can "see" above the lump of the engine behind the aircraft as well as to the front.

Thoughts?

exfirepro

Re: Antenna location in a flexwing
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:17:32 pm »
Hi peastlake,

Thoughts on this (as ever) vary. I run a GT, and currently use old Flarm dipoles inside the pod at each side for ADSB and P3i, with my PAW velcroed up inside the front of the pod. GPS in my case is a 'mouse' mounted outside on the top of the pod behind the windscreen. I have used this setup for virtually all of my testing. Alan G runs the 'standard' setup in his Quik with the PAW velcroed on top of the pod inside his windshield with standard PAW P3i endfed dipole attached and standard ADSB antenna mounted to a small steel plate fixed to the pod top inside the right side of the windshield. Both systems have their good and bad points and signal inevitably varies depending on which bits of us or the aircraft get between our respective antennae. Alan feels his system is superior - I am still testing!

Bear in mind that the most serious risk of collision is from the front where your closing speeds are greatest (and therefore time to 'eyeball' the inbound is least).

OK, mounting the P3i dipole up on the pylon fairing will get it clear of your bodies and the engine (except of course from below), so might be an improvement, but remember the signal will still be shielded to the opposite side to some degree by the metal pylon inside the fairing.

Oh and it probably goes without saying, but make certain that if it ever comes unstuck it can't get to the prop or into the magneto housing at the front of the engine.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:21:36 pm by exfirepro »