Author Topic: mode s rings query  (Read 15266 times)

peteD

Re: mode s rings query
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 03:25:54 pm »
Certainly...file is to large to attach, where shall i send it?

Update: sent to support
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:34:23 pm by peteD »

Admin

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 03:29:02 pm »
Gents

Will somebody be posting the screenshots as per Tim's requests ?

Thx
Lee

peteD

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 03:55:26 pm »
Done!

Admin

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 03:56:11 pm »
Certainly...file is to large to attach, where shall i send it?

Update: sent to support

Hi Pete,
thanks for the data, after receiving this,
I realised of course that for bearingless targets (in the logging format) this only contains
the relative altitude.
The other bits are tailored for the specific NAV devices, but anyway looking at the altitudes
I see nothing more than 603 metres, here is the message

$PFLAA,1,0,0,603,1,,,,,,0*73

and the most negative

$PFLAA,1,0,0,-608,1,,,,,,0*55

So this does not tally with the display  :o

peteD

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 04:09:01 pm »

Ok, thanks for looking....maybe I misread the figures...which brings us back to my original post!

Have posted screenshots for Tim, which hopefully makes the point about legibility

Thanks
Pete

Admin

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 04:29:31 pm »

Ok, thanks for looking....maybe I misread the figures...which brings us back to my original post!

Have posted screenshots for Tim, which hopefully makes the point about legibility

Thanks
Pete

OK, if you see this again, try to get a screnshot
Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 10:49:34 am »
Hi Lee / All,

Tim Dawson has just posted this on the SD forum. Lee, I presume you will take up his request for examples. Obviously much better coming from you.

"Thanks all. I've done the easy bit which is to make the font size and colours consistent between bearingless and "normal" targets. Inclusion of the ID is slightly trickier though and I don't want to change that code without being able to test it. As far as I recall, PowerFlarm never sends ID with bearingless targets so that codepath will not have been tested.

Perhaps Lee you could provide some example sentences with bearingless Mode S going on? I recall that PowerFlarm never sends information on more than one bearingless target at the same time, does that still hold true for PilotAware?"

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:51:21 am by exfirepro »

brinzlee

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 11:09:20 am »
Hi Lee

Not sure if you have seen this from SkyDemon and a message to you Lee

"Thanks all. I've done the easy bit which is to make the font size and colours consistent between bearingless and "normal" targets. Inclusion of the ID is slightly trickier though and I don't want to change that code without being able to test it. As far as I recall, PowerFlarm never sends ID with bearingless targets so that codepath will not have been tested.

Perhaps Lee you could provide some example sentences with bearingless Mode S going on? I recall that PowerFlarm never sends information on more than one bearingless target at the same time, does that still hold true for PilotAware? "

Admin

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 11:34:06 am »
Yes thanks, seen this and respnded

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 08:21:50 pm »
Sorry, I've been missing from any PAW stuff for a while, too many other things going on!

I actually brought this up at Aero Expo, though it was written into a book of suggestions as Tim wasn't on the stand at the time. I suggested that all the "information", both for positional and bearingless targets, be written in a white box with a black surround, to give it a bit of contrast rather than blending in with any background detail. I pointed it out on the screen they had at the show.

If someone in touch with Tim can make that suggestion again please...!

I don't see why the registration can't be displayed as well in this box for bearingless targets. What doesn't help is that the altitude for the bearingless targets appears randomly around the ring. I spoke to Lee about this ages ago - there were rings before there was an overlaid aircraft - in fact, I have one of my PAW units with the rings from the first time around.  :o

peteD

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2016, 05:22:13 pm »
OK, i have some screen shots of mode s displaying greater than the 2000+/- (as selected) but had the mode s detect set to testing(noisy)...would that be why?
thanks
Pete

Admin

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2016, 05:25:14 pm »
OK, i have some screen shots of mode s displaying greater than the 2000+/- (as selected) but had the mode s detect set to testing(noisy)...would that be why?
thanks
Pete

yup, testing is just that - wide open filters, its a way of ensuring after making some Software changes, I do not need to sit around waiting for an A/C to encroach my space, I can flip to this and run tests, I have debated removing this, but when demonstrating - I like to show this to people so they can see what they will get

Thx
Lee

peteD

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2016, 05:44:30 pm »
OK thanks, didn't realise mode s detect setting "testing" over rides other settings, thought it was just a sensitivity setting....that explains it!

Thanks
Pete

brinzlee

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2016, 01:49:36 pm »
Tim has adjusted the code in SkyDemon now, so the latest update of SD should show a more pronounced height above the Mode S rings. Is it possible to check Lee if the Registration ID also works, I recall you saying you had disabled it in the current PAW software
Kind regards
Brinsley

Admin

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2016, 02:27:38 pm »
Tim has adjusted the code in SkyDemon now, so the latest update of SD should show a more pronounced height above the Mode S rings. Is it possible to check Lee if the Registration ID also works, I recall you saying you had disabled it in the current PAW software
Kind regards
Brinsley

I have an upcoming release, I will test and enable if all is OK in the release
Thx
Lee