Author Topic: G-CEAR  (Read 5399 times)

Ian Melville

G-CEAR
« on: July 24, 2016, 07:10:00 am »
If you are on-line you were spotted yesterday :) Max 9km min 6km to my west

And your PAW configured with the hex code in both Hex-ID and Flight-ID, it should only be in the first.

Cheers
Ian
G-AWKD

exfirepro

Re: G-CEAR
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 10:12:15 am »
Ian,

If PAW is configured with no 'Reg' in the 'Flight ID' box, it will just transmit the auto generated (or manually entered) HEX instead. I take it that is what has happened here and that you looked up the Reg on G-Info from the displayed HEX?

Having dealt with a few posts of this nature recently, I'm starting to get a bit concerned that some users are very lax about correctly programming transmitting equipment in their aircraft. (See Brinzlee's recent posts in the Ground Station thread). OK, we are using a 'licence free' frequency, but we still need to 'play by the rules' if we don't want to attract the potentially unwelcome attention of Offcom and the CAA. Maybe the 'Quick Start' sheet needs to stress a bit stronger the importance of correct equipment programming before use and not transmitting false information (though in this case of course the information may not be 'false' - just 'missing').

Regards

Peter

brinzlee

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 01:11:10 pm »
Totally agree Peter.....I'm not sure if its a misunderstanding of the process of what and where to enter the data in the fields of PAW or the Transponder but its in the same category as poor airmanship in my view....I think there is a possibility if they aren't configured correctly, people looking at their navigation devices for early warning advice again could become overloaded by multiple targets from Mode S and P3I when indeed there is only one......there is also the problem of incorrectly setting the transponders with SIL, SDA parameters and setting off alarm bells with the big boys !!
My Contact has amended his transponder with the correct hex code but still hasn't adjusted the SDA from 3 to 0.......He has also now entered the incorrect details into his PAW HEX ID......I think a little more work is needed to educate some that are technically challenged by some of the terms....Before as you say we get some interest from the wrong authorities

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 01:32:24 pm »
Hi Brinz,

Not sure what Txpdr he is using, but it may of course not be possible for the user to re-programme the SDA as 'System Design Assurance' is often set by the manufacturer. Very important however that we all do 'our bit' right. Worth another look at the documentation to see if we are missing something or not stressing the importance of this enough for new users.

Regards

Peter

brinzlee

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 03:16:33 pm »
One thing that has flagged....which I wasn't aware of, apparently his transponder only takes its ID in octal.....which confused the situation somewhat going from hex to octal. I know its on G-INFO but its just another variable in the mix

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 03:26:34 pm »
Interesting. Not sure how PilotAware deals with that one WRT comparing hex and octal entries in the filters - Lee?

Peter

Admin

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 04:26:00 pm »
Interesting. Not sure how PilotAware deals with that one WRT comparing hex and octal entries in the filters - Lee?

Peter

it really doesn't matter TBH.
The id is a stream of 24 bits which can be broken up as thus
101010101010101010101010 - 24 bits (binary)
1010 1010 1010 1010 1010 1010 - 24 bits (hex) 0xAAAAAA
101 010 101 010 101 010 101 010 - 24 bits (octal) O 72727272

its all the same when interpreted, but must be entered in the format expected by whatever system.
FYI, ginfo displays all the formats

Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 06:29:36 pm »

If PAW is configured with no 'Reg' in the 'Flight ID' box, it will just transmit the auto generated (or manually entered) HEX instead. I take it that is what has happened here and that you looked up the Reg on G-Info from the displayed HEX?

So either blank or entered twice. Yes you are correct, I did look him up on G-INFO.

Perhaps we need a config wizard on first boot, to ask the relevant question in simple terms. Not everyone may understand the setting son the config page, and what is an isn't important. Though they should read the manual ::)

bryannortje

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 01:11:55 pm »
Followed this and to set the records straight....

My PAWS has the correct Hex Code and had on that day no flight ID entered. I have now since added my Reg in the flight ID box.

I have a Garmin GTX327 Transponder which is NOT mode s nor ADS-B capable. It is also not configurable for aircraft hex info or Reg info

Cheers
Bryan

Ian Melville

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 07:59:42 pm »
Thanks for the update Bryan.
I could see your hex code correctly, it would appear that PAW needs to have something in the Flight ID. Perhaps Lee could make this field mandatory?