Author Topic: Lost GPS signal in flight  (Read 8821 times)

Stu B

Re: Lost GPS signal in flight
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 10:56:34 pm »
Thanks, Alan.
I have been putting together a spreadsheet which analyses the .TRK files. It produces a basic summary (duration, number of points, etc, max number of ADS-B responses fond during any single frame (over 80 tracks per frame!) plus a list of all ADS-B contacts, when each starts and stops, the time when the horizontal separation was at its minimum, and what the horizontal and vertical separation were at that point. It can then also produce a breadcrumb file fro any selected ADS-B target that can be plotted by EasyVFR. It also has a mode where it can tabulate the ownship PAW GPS data frame-by-frame alongside the GPS position that EasyVFR is using for its breadcrumb (so you can either use PAW as the GPS source for EasyVFR and see if all points are getting accepted, or you can run EasyVFR with its own GPS and compare performance. Unfortunately, because the .TRK files are so big, the spreadsheet that analyses them is huge (100MB+) so it runs painfully slow, and it also needs quite a bit of "mandraulic" work to get the .TRK file into the spreadsheet, so its not an easy tool to use and so far I have not really studied much data with it, I've just been satisfying myself that the tool itself works as intended. But I now have downloaded a set of TRK files and I'm ready to start examining them - I'll let you know how I get on.

AlanG

Re: Lost GPS signal in flight
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 10:01:48 am »
Nice one Stu, sounds like something to tackle on those nights when insomnia kicks in.  :D
Are you going to Telford at the week-end.

Alan