Author Topic: FL*RM Integration - Beta Testers  (Read 77069 times)

Admin

Re: FL*RM Integration - Beta Testers
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2016, 11:58:35 am »
Hi Ian
Anyone got any idea where to buy a FLARM mouse at a reasonable price ?
I can only find one place online selling them for £643 not £450.

The price strangely increased by £200 pounds, immediately when we announced the Flarm-IN support  >:(

Good job the GPS dongle can be removed as we've run out of USB ports (if you have ADS-OUT)  :)
Who would have beleived when we started, that 4 USB slots would not have been enough !

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2016, 12:37:23 pm »
Anyone got any idea where to buy a FLARM mouse at a reasonable price ?
I can only find one place online selling them for £643 not £450.

Good job the GPS dongle can be removed as we've run out of USB ports (if you have ADS-OUT)  :)

Hi Ian,

Cheapest I know is... http://www.navboys.com/products/flarm/lx-flarm-mouse/ at £624.

Regards

Peter

ianfallon

« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2016, 12:41:00 pm »
Thanks - uncheap though. Long live PAW !

Admin

« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2016, 12:57:38 pm »

We are working on something else as well ....

ianfallon

« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2016, 01:00:08 pm »

I should have guessed  ;D ;D 8)

Deker

« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2016, 01:41:56 pm »
I'll be holding off buying a Flarm-and-a-leg priced Mouse for a while ;-)

Keithvinning

« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2016, 02:00:11 pm »
Flarm-and-a-leg priced Mouse

Like it

Deker You should be in Advertising

exfirepro

« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2016, 03:05:28 pm »
Hi Guys,

Ian F - just a word of caution - see earlier posts #132 /133 in this thread, which refer to a problem I had during testing with intermittent gps data from the FlarmMouse.

During correspondence, LXNav admitted that - with its much smaller internal gps antenna - the LX Mouse gps 'could' be less reliable than PAW's UBlox dongle or UBlox mouse, which both have a larger internal gps antenna. The problem seems to have resolved itself in later testing but to avoid any risk, I have reverted meantime to using the UBlox mouse for PAW gps as my first choice, with the FlarmMouse providing Flarm Data only via PAW Port 1, - which you obviously can't do if you are using Port 1 to drive ADSB out.

In my case, ADSB out was already set up via a separate GPS supply and when the flarm GPS failed I was able to switch PAW off and revert to my iPad's 'backup' BadElf gps to maintain my Nav. Lee has since revised the software and the original problem hasn't so far recurred, so things might be fine, but perhaps worth waiting until I can do a bit more testing before putting all your eggs in one (expensive) basket.

Regards

Peter

Richard

« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2016, 11:49:34 am »
Hi team,
    Has anyone had experience with improving FLARM reception? As FLARM only transmits at around 10mw longer range reception can be limited without a good antenna setup. If antenna setup is the best that can be achieved on an aircraft, would adding a filter and preamp improve reception? I came across such a device, see link,

https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

Would this be a worthy test to try?
Richard.
Europa XS

JCurtis

« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2016, 12:48:40 pm »
Hi team,
    Has anyone had experience with improving FLARM reception? As FLARM only transmits at around 10mw longer range reception can be limited without a good antenna setup. If antenna setup is the best that can be achieved on an aircraft, would adding a filter and preamp improve reception? I came across such a device, see link,

Note that you should not add this to anything with a transmitter, so attaching it to a FLARM unit will be an issue unless it is a guaranteed receive only unit.  I suspect FLARM also contains an RF front end so adding this onto one of those could damage it.  If you're going into an SDR dongle then that will be fine.

I suspect you will need a very smooth supply to give it chance of working properly too.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

ridders

« Reply #145 on: December 13, 2016, 02:19:34 pm »

I would be very interested to know what is planned, as right now I am poised to order a Flarm Mouse.  But it is, as has already been stated, a bit of a flarm-and-a-leg price.  I would rather not spend more than I have to.
The views I express here are entirely my own and are not intended to represent my employer.

Richard

« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2016, 05:44:30 pm »

Note that you should not add this to anything with a transmitter, so attaching it to a FLARM unit will be an issue unless it is a guaranteed receive only unit.  I suspect FLARM also contains an RF front end so adding this onto one of those could damage it.  If you're going into an SDR dongle then that will be fine.

I suspect you will need a very smooth supply to give it chance of working properly too.

Hi Jeramy
   Thank you for your advice, it's best avoided on a transmitter. I just wounded if it was any good for our applications. I may call them and have a chat, just to see what they say about there filters.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:46:26 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #147 on: December 13, 2016, 06:06:25 pm »
Hi team,

Richard,

Best option is to Maximise antenna positioning, plus possibly go for a slightly higher gain tuned antenna. I got my best results using a P3i end-fed dipole (same as the one that comes with the Classic Kit), though an externally mounted 1/4 wave on a good ground plane would probably be as good if not better. I hope to try this option as soon as I get a chance.

Regards

Peter

Richard

« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2016, 06:20:36 pm »
Peter,
    I feel as though I have the best I can achieve on the Europa. The antennas are mounted externally on the a ground-plane using the 1/4 wave eternal antenna supplied by the PAW team, There is a picture earlier in the thread

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,553.120.html

I was just looking for improvements that may be possible for the poor output from the FLARM devices. Calling it poor output is probably incorrect as FLARM devices tend to fly close to each other. If the signal was stronger they would get false alerts on the glider displays from an other glider much grater distance away.

If we could get to just receive them from a grater distaste would be a big advantage.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 06:26:40 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2016, 06:38:29 pm »
Richard,

Point noted, however 2-3 Km is certainly a respectable distance to receive a warning, providing the glider isn't heading straight towards you of course.

Regards

Peter