Author Topic: FL*RM Integration - Beta Testers  (Read 77852 times)

Richard

Re: FL*RM Integration
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2016, 07:10:30 pm »
Hi, next week I plan to try and integrate an LX RedBox FLARM unit with a PAW box for use on a new aircraft.
To be clear, I plan to take serial data from the display port of RedBox and connect via RS232/USB adaptor to one of the USB ports on the PAW. (replacing existing GPS dongle). Do I need to do anything in software to get FLARM aircraft showing on my iPAD SkyDemon nav display, or does it "just work" ?
thanks for help,
Alan

Alan I am very interested in your use of the FLARM red box. Please keep us updated on your progress of integrating PAW.
The display output is from an rj45 plug and a lead is suplyed.  Can you plus it straight into the pilotaware (Rasburry Ethernet rj45? This is a question for lee. Or can it be made to do so as it would save a USB port and be more plug and play
Richard.
Europa XS

Ian Melville

Re: FL*RM Integration - Beta Testers
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2016, 08:49:15 pm »
Richard, you will need to use a USB TO RS232 lead. FLARM uses the RJ45 as a serial port, not LAN, like the RPi.

Richard

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2016, 09:05:01 pm »
Harrr, yes it does, thanx Ian.
Richard.
Europa XS

Richard

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2016, 09:35:45 pm »
Looking at rj11 to usb for connecting the FLARM redbox to PAW, would the cable be a straight in connection or is there a chipset required for the conection? There seems to be a few different chipsets available, which one would it be?
Richard.
Europa XS

Ian Melville

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2016, 10:13:25 pm »

Richard

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2016, 08:56:40 pm »
Ian thank you.
The chipset in the USB plugs, what do they do? As there are different ones. Looking at the wiring for the rj11 plug to a sub D on the FLARM LX redbox, they are wired directly in (no chipset) this is for connecting to computer for updates. Can anyone give advice on this? Is it different for USB?
Richard.
Europa XS

Ian Melville

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2016, 10:50:02 pm »
I don't know anything about the FLARM LX Redbox.

The chipset converts RS232 signal into one that the PAW or PC can use via a USB port by creating a software coms port. FLARM devices use a  9 pin D connector, RJ12 or RJ45 depending hardware to output the FLARM signal from it's inbuilt RS232 chipset.
You can connect a FLARM device directly to a PC that has a Hardware Coms port (9pin D), or Via a lead like I linked to above. Hardware Coms ports are getting rare these days, and very unlikely to be found on a newish laptop, hence the need for a USB version.

Richard

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2016, 07:08:57 am »
Ian,
   Thank you for your reply. I will let the Forum know how I get on with it.
Richard.
Europa XS

flyingalan

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2016, 02:28:01 pm »
Update on my Redbox to PAW integration.
I used the USB/RS232 cable from Farnell (USB-RS232-WE-1800-BT-0.0 CABLE, USB A - RS232, SERIAL CONVERTOR). Cheaper ones can be found on e-bay but I used this because previous reports that it worked ok with Flarm mouse.
Pin 1 from Flarm RJ45 is ground (white) and was connected to black on RS232 cable. Pin 3 from Flarm is Tx data (red) and was connected to yellow on RS232 cable. Pin 2 from Flarm is Rx data (black) and was connected to orange on RS232 cable.
In PAW configuration screen on iPad Port 2 was set to Flarm In and 19200 rate, (Redbox must use 19200 to talk to Flarm display indicator).
The gps signal seems to be working and PAW starts ok and talks to SkyDemon displaying ADSB aircraft and Mode C/S rings ok.
I don't seem to be seeing any Flarm traffic on the Skydemon display which is a puzzle but Flarm traffic is short range and in my home test set up it could be none are in range.
Continuing investigation.
Can anyone else confirm that the latest PAW software is seeing and displaying Flarm traffic from a Flarm receiver ??
regards
Alan

flyingalan

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2016, 03:18:00 pm »
15.10 22/10/16
Well just had some Flarm traffic pass close to me as seen on OGN but did not show on my Skydemon display or in PAW traffic screen. So it seems that although I'm getting 19200 GPS data from Flarm box into PAW, the aircraft data is not being seen/recognised by PAW. I have checked using "Flarm tool" that the Flarm box is set to send "Navigation and Flarm" data at 19200, so that seems to be correct, and PAW is set to "Flarm in" at 19200.
Now I'm stuck, don't know how to find why Flarm traffic not being shown via PAW on Skydemon.
Any ideas welcome ???
Alan

Admin

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2016, 04:33:23 pm »
Hi Alan,

You can see the RAW data sent from Flarm to PilotAware by doing the following

1. Go to Paw webpage 'Configure'
2. Check the tickbox NMEA
3. click Save
4. go to page Logging

This should stream the RAW messages coming from FLARM

*edit*:
Where are you based Alan, maybe you could meet up with another 'local' Flarm user ?

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 04:36:46 pm by Admin »

flyingalan

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2016, 06:44:51 pm »
Hi Lee
Thanks for help, attached is screen photo from iPad showing data logging screen. I don't know what to expect, I can see the gps sentences but are any of them flarm data ?

I'm located in Aylesbury and fly from Halton

I probably can borrow a portable flarm box from the club to get a consistent local flarm signal next week.
If you can give me any clue as to what the problem is, I would be grateful.
regards
Alan

Admin

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2016, 07:17:50 pm »
Hi Alan

These are all messages from FLARM, I am assuming you have the gps dongle unplugged for this experiment?

Ian Melville is in Thame, and I am in Thame Tue-Thu, we both have Flarm

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 07:19:35 pm by Admin »

flyingalan

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2016, 07:35:13 pm »
Correct, no gps dongle is connected directly to PAW, the data is coming from Flarm Redbox.

I didn't realise you were so close, happy to visit Thame if you are willing to help me.

thanks
Alan

flyingalan

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2016, 12:05:17 am »
I've done a little more experimenting. Using a terminal program I have looked at data coming from Flarm box with different settings.
Pic 1 is Redbox box set for gps only output
pic 2 is Redbox set for FLARM only output
pic 3 is Redbox set for gps & FLARM

As you can see different strings are being sent and then as a composite in pic 3 so the box appears to be doing something like it should. Of course this late at night there is no Flarm signals active for me to receive so I don't know if string data changes upon receiving one or more Flarm signals.

What strings(s) is PAW looking for to display on SkyDemon output ? Are these pictures a clue as to the system behaviour, correct or not ?

regards
Alan