Author Topic: FL*RM Integration - Beta Testers  (Read 77939 times)

Deker

Re: FL*RM Integration - Beta Testers
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2016, 07:53:56 am »
The point about using the flarmMouse is that you own the device which you have legally bought from FLARM or one of its licensed developers as a fully licensed FLARM unit and are therefore legally decoding received FLARM signals and merely using PilotAware as a 'conduit' to  present them to your nav device - in the same way FLARM the,selves advocate by using a 'Butterfly' (now marketted as 'Air Connect') RS232 to WiFi converter.
As you have bought the decoding licence from FLARM (albeit through a 3rd party developer), they would be hard pushed to prosecute you for using it in the way it is intended. Just my opinion of course.
WRT using an OGN feed in the plane, I would view this in the same way I do FR24 - connection difficulties, time delays and positional innacuracies make this a definite 'No No' for me! I want my traffic notifications to be 100% reliable!
Regards
Peter

Hello Peter,

I was responding to a comment by jullian and replied to by Ianfallon up the thread.  He was questioning the need to buy a licenced Flarm mouse at £450 when apparently OGN can use their own (cheap as chips) hardware / software to decode only. i.e why cant PAW decode only (not transmit), hence my original answer / supposition.
I don't think there is any doubt that Flarm would be very happy if we all go out and buy a mouse, but would unleash the dogs if this function was enabled on PAW with our own 'unofficial' combination of firm/hardware. .
Back on thread :) , I'm hoping to connect my paw to a friends FowerPlarm, if successful I'll report back.
Keep up the good work, PAW is a brilliant system BTW.
Deker

rg

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2016, 08:42:31 am »
What would it do to the cost of PAW if a licensed flarm decode was integrated (perhaps as an optional plugin?) without the need for a FLARM hardware?

Ian Melville

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2016, 09:01:12 am »
No idea RG, but FLARM do sell an OEM module to be incorporated in other kit. I suspect they would push you into this method rather than letting you develop your own FLARM Rx/Tx.

Some posters seem to forget that OGN is not in competition with FLARM, PilotAware, though not functionally a direct competitor, will take business away from FLARM products. Why on earth would they give PilotAware a free and easy ride?

rg

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2016, 12:06:02 pm »
even just an Rx would be good...

exfirepro

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2016, 02:57:15 am »
Hi All,

Working the stand at the LAA rally this weekend with Lee. Lots of interest in this aspect from users/ potential users who fly from/near gliding sites - all very interested in 'legal' solution(s). We will keep you informed.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2016, 07:49:55 am »
even just an Rx would be good...

And unfortunately threatened with legal action by Flarm for doing so :(

flyingalan

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2016, 01:14:54 pm »
When connecting Flarm mouse to PAW, can the normal Flarm display also be connected and functioning ?
thanks, Alan

Ian Melville

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2016, 05:47:20 pm »
I don't have a display to test it, but the splitter cable would appear to allow a screen to be connected.

exfirepro

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2016, 06:09:42 pm »
Alan/Ian

No reason why not. You just need an extra 'splitter' to parallel off the feed to PAW via the USB / RS232 cable. I would have had mine up and running (with LXNav Flarm Display) by now but wired the cable incorrectly  :( and have been waiting for an adapter which arrived this morning, so hope to try it out again tomorrow. I will post and let you know how I get on.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 06:13:57 pm by exfirepro »

exfirepro

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2016, 10:43:27 pm »
Hi All,

Been on an extended flight down to Hexham today (including several stopoffs) so took the opportunity to pop into Millfield gliding field to test / have a chat about my FLARM/PAW integration. It was a beautiful day and they had lots of visitors on a 'flying week' so loads of gliders and two tow planes to track. I also used the flarmMouse to provide GPS input to PAW. Had to pull the plug on the audio as I couldn't hear the radio for the number of alerts on final, but system is obviously working, with both PAW and the LX Nav FLARM LED display connected via a splitter.

Made a really good contact for FLARM/OGN, who I will keep in touch with and I will continue testing.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 10:45:02 pm by exfirepro »

guex

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2016, 08:00:35 am »
Hi Peter,

I tried this weekend the PAW with following add. connections:
FlarmMouse connected to the PAW (USB<->RS232) -> FLARM-IN
FlarmLED display connected to the PAW (USB<->RS232) -> dynon traffic

I have not get any indication on my LED for ModeCS and ADSB but SkyDemon was showing bearingless targets with red ring, GPS and TX/RX indicator where working on the Flarm LED. Looks for me that the PFLAA/PFLAU is not passed correctly with dynon traffic.

How do you exactly connect the splitter?

Regards,
Serge

flyingalan

Re: FL*RM Integration
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2016, 05:09:19 pm »
Hi, next week I plan to try and integrate an LX RedBox FLARM unit with a PAW box for use on a new aircraft.
To be clear, I plan to take serial data from the display port of RedBox and connect via RS232/USB adaptor to one of the USB ports on the PAW. (replacing existing GPS dongle). Do I need to do anything in software to get FLARM aircraft showing on my iPAD SkyDemon nav display, or does it "just work" ?
thanks for help,
Alan

Deker

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2016, 08:37:35 pm »
Hi,

Hope to be testing my PAW with a Powerflarm tomorrow.
I've been looking for the setup, but as far as I can tell it will be:-

Plug USB-RS232 unit into USB port 3 (top right) in place of the Ublox GPS. (Other end to the flarm data out and 0V)
In the config page, set port 3 to 19200 baud and flarm in.
Anything else?

Use in the normal way.

Cheers,
Deker.

Admin

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2016, 10:15:41 pm »
Yes this sounds right
With a flarm input you can omit the gps dongle, as flarm will provide the gps,
Although, have to say, the flarm gps does not seem as effective as the ublox

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2016, 11:11:07 pm »
I plugged mine into my unused Port 1, and set this up for FLARM in. This means I can quickly change back to paw GPS if I need to. But if you are using FLARM and keeping a separate PAW GPS dongle or mouse, you need to configure your FLARM device to output FLARM data only to PAW, not FLARM data and navigation data, or your PAW will be getting GPS data from 2 different sources at the same time, which might cause potential conflict.

Regards

Peter