Author Topic: Latest Update 20160708  (Read 13204 times)

Ian Melville

Latest Update 20160708
« on: July 10, 2016, 12:23:38 pm »
I have updated my two PAW without any issues using the LAN.

I thought the volume save was to be fixed in this version? It's a pain in the butt to crank it up to full volume every time it's powered up.

I keep seeing an option to set the QNH, but it later disappears. Is this only while the Baro sorts itself out?

Also what is Mode-S Select and how do we use it?

Admin

Re: Latest Update 20160708
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 12:30:00 pm »
Hi Ian,

I have updated my two PAW without any issues using the LAN.
great!

I thought the volume save was to be fixed in this version? It's a pain in the butt to crank it up to full volume every time it's powered up.
didn't quite get it working correctly :-\
I will revisit and try to get into next release

I keep seeing an option to set the QNH, but it later disappears. Is this only while the Baro sorts itself out?
absolutely, once it has connected to the bridge it removes the option

Also what is Mode-S Select and how do we use it?
If you search the forum for exfirepro postings, you will see lots of info on this.
yet to be fully documented

Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 01:33:03 pm »
Thanks Lee,
I have been unable to find anything on Mode-S Select using the search. I suspect it is linked to suppressing Mode-S alerts, but the last comments I can see, was that the method has yet to be decided.

In this case the options are not intuitive.

I'll also ask again if we can have the alerts in Nautical Miles, using the unit of distance that the majority of us use.

Admin

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 03:58:05 pm »
Thanks Lee,
I have been unable to find anything on Mode-S Select using the search. I suspect it is linked to suppressing Mode-S alerts, but the last comments I can see, was that the method has yet to be decided.

In this case the options are not intuitive.

I'll also ask again if we can have the alerts in Nautical Miles, using the unit of distance that the majority of us use.

Hi Ian,

I now realise the confusion.
The Mode-S select at the moment is either None, or Mode-S, ie enabled/disabled.
In the internal Engineering build this is capable of

- None
- Mode-S
- Mode-S+C
- Mode-S+C+Filter

Basically adding in the capability of Mode-C detection and the ability to filter the strongest (ie locally equipped)
transponder.

This is still under development, and if successful, will be in a future release.

Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 04:12:59 pm »
Lee,
   Can you just check that when in the web interface the link button from out of the traffic Page back to home page is working. I could not go to the home page from here. It did work ok from the other pages. I could be wrong and be suffering from fat fingers....

The colour rings is much better for mode S ..... Brilliant.... Thank you
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 04:15:07 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

Ian Melville

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 04:57:13 pm »
Lee, Thanks for the explanation. I have just done a bit of testing. By default the Mode-S Select is set to 'none'. Users need to be advised that this will turn off the Mode-S detection. So to get back to what they had before they need to set it to 'Mode-S' until the additional functions are available.

Richard, the link works for me on the latest version.

Admin

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 05:14:59 pm »
Lee,
   Can you just check that when in the web interface the link button from out of the traffic Page back to home page is working. I could not go to the home page from here. It did work ok from the other pages. I could be wrong and be suffering from fat fingers....

The colour rings is much better for mode S ..... Brilliant.... Thank you

Hi Richard,
This is possibly due to the refresh rate of th traffic screen, I think it is set to refresh either 1 or 2 seconds.
and in safari, if you hit the link - just as the refresh is started, it is sometimes ignored, very annoyingly.
I could slow the refresh, but I dont particularly like that idea
Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 05:22:43 pm »
Lee, Thanks for the explanation. I have just done a bit of testing. By default the Mode-S Select is set to 'none'. Users need to be advised that this will turn off the Mode-S detection. So to get back to what they had before they need to set it to 'Mode-S' until the additional functions are available.

Hi Ian
What has happened is that some of the menus have been shuffled so the previous settings for this
would have been discarded during the upgrade
Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 08:57:08 am »

Hi Ian,

Due to the fact that detection and display of 'bearingless' targets is more complex and requires direct pilot action, i.e. active selection of detection range - which requires an understanding of how the system works, the experience to decide the most appropriate range for your current flying environment, and a clear understanding of the use of physical lookout to 'find' the reported aircraft. Mode S was therefore set to 'off by default' to allow new PAW users to get to know the system before deciding when and how they wish to use the Mode S 'option'.

Selection of detection range is of significant importance. Too long in a busy environment and you will receive constant alerts which can cause distraction and if the contacts are not 'found' can cause the user to start disbelieving the warnings (which are in fact always real, but probably came from a high power CAT transponder far too far away to be a risk - full 360 degree physical lookout up/down or level as advised by the relative altitude confirms this and allows it to be disregarded, unless it continues to approach). Too short on the other hand and you might not get that critical warning until it might be too late.

I agree that it would be beneficial if these settings once decided by the pilot were retained during update, or if not practicable, a warning to this effect needs to go in the Operating Manual. In any case it is important if using Mode S to recheck settings before each flight if your environment is likely to change.

Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 09:27:17 am »
Thanks Peter,
Makes sense to me. I've been experimenting with the range and found that 'short' meant that I was visual with the target before the alert. 'Medium' gave a greater number of alerts, most of which must have been no threat due to great distances. But then I didn't see them so will never know. I will stick with 'Medium' for now.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:09:34 pm by Ian Melville »

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 03:02:02 pm »
Hi Ian,

I also generally use the Medium Range setting unless I know I will be flying near CAT traffic e.g. when they are on left base into EGPH or if I'm doing a zone transit through the Edinburgh overhead, when I will select short range.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to filter out High Power CAT mode S except via the altitude and range filters. You will still get some 'rogue' alerts - note these are NOT FALSE ALERTS - from further away CAT aircraft, but soon learn to recognise these as such after a good 360 scan and can fairly quickly disregard them. Unless you are very near a large airport it's not usually too much of a problem.

Regards

Peter

tnowak

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 09:27:27 am »
Just a thought - could the SIL / SDA flag settings, in conjunction with received signal strength, be used to indicate the likelihood of a CAT Mode S bearingless target return and therefore a likely low(er) probability of a "risk" aircraft"?

As I say, just a thought and I am not even sure if these flags would be set to in a CAT's Mode S transponder (with no ADS-B).

Or are there other flags that may differentiate between CAT and GA mode S transponders?
Tony Nowak

Admin

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 09:49:53 am »
Just a thought - could the SIL / SDA flag settings, in conjunction with received signal strength, be used to indicate the likelihood of a CAT Mode S bearingless target return and therefore a likely low(er) probability of a "risk" aircraft"?

As I say, just a thought and I am not even sure if these flags would be set to in a CAT's Mode S transponder (with no ADS-B).

Or are there other flags that may differentiate between CAT and GA mode S transponders?
Tony Nowak

Hi Tony,
Afraid not, SIL/SDA are sent as part of an Extended Squitter DF17 message - which is ADS-B
Mode-S does not contain this information.
Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 09:59:28 am »
Hi Tony,

Lee just beat me to it. I was busy looking back through my test screen captures to check this. Unfortunately as Lee says SIL and SDA are only transmitted for ADSB, and even then with commercial units very infrequently, so this just wouldn't work.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Regards

Peter

the_doc

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 11:27:11 pm »
The altitudes on the ADS-B and Mode S transmissions would match perfectly surely?

If altitudes on a Mode S and ADS-B target change to identical figures within 30 seconds of each other, you could assume that the they are one and the same target, and disregard the Mode S information until there is a disparity in altitude data for longer than a set period.

Complex logic, but just a thought as to how to reduce CAT "interference" ?

Assuming a bearingless Mode S target is also sending ADS-B as well that is.  I would imagine nearly all CAT is using ADS-B is it not?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 07:32:12 am by the_doc »