Author Topic: Loose formation flying  (Read 4408 times)

Graham Elvis

Loose formation flying
« on: July 01, 2016, 10:31:56 am »
Just tried flying together with a PAW equipped colleague.  I have flown with a group many times on extended trips around Europe and always we had the worry of where the others were.  SkyDemon worked well with each of us regularly reporting distance to next turn point but PilotAware is the ultimate solution - you can see each of your buddies around you - no need to keep them visual!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:36:51 pm by Admin »

exfirepro

Re: Loose formation flying
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 10:40:14 am »
Hi Graham,

Great to hear from another happy user - it is good isn't it! I take it you know that if you all select your own Group ID on the (Configure) screen - we use our club initials - EOSM, then the aircraft in your group (and only those) will be bracketed with the 'Hash' brackets '#'s e.g. #GXZYA#. By default the Group ID is set to 'PAWGRP' so we can easily see which other aircraft are PAW equipped, but useful to reconfigure for a fly-out.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:08:30 pm by exfirepro »

Kevin W

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 04:36:41 pm »
I agree that loose formation flying with PAW is great, we have done a couple of trips with 2 or 3 other aircraft.

Works great until they get a little to close, and then SkyDemon goes mad and thinks people are about to hit you :)

Cheers
Kev

AlanG

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 05:08:11 pm »
Hi

Thank crunchie for EasyVFR, if they get closer than 0.1km (100mtr) it effectively shoots them out of the sky.   ;D
Saves a lot of clutter on the ground too if there are a few of you in close proximity.  The developer has put a filter in to prevent targets closer than 0.1 km from displaying on the screen.  In the air, if they have got to within 0.1km without you knowing about it then it's too late anyway methinks.   :-[

Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 08:05:02 pm »
Hi Alan,

Maybe that's why I keep disappearing on your screen LOL  ;D   

Peter

AlanG

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 09:21:25 pm »
Well Peter

Having just managed to get the track file processor to read a file it showed your closest position to me as 10m  (that's ten meters).  Well within 0.1km.  I knew you were close when you flashed across my nose and you did disappear from my screen but I think that was a miscalculation in the software because you were at least 15m away.   :o

Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 10:53:18 pm »
Not sure that counts as 'Loose Formation Flying'. Definitely shows a degree of dedication to testing though!! Either that or complete lunacy  :-\

Regards

Peter