Author Topic: Audio Testing  (Read 51430 times)

Admin

Re: Audio Testing
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2016, 09:15:50 pm »
Hi Alan

I think test, she moly sends an audio signal.
Try this

Select 10
Press save
Press test

Thx
Lee

AlanG

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2016, 10:11:59 pm »
Sorry Lee

No joy, just simply jumps back to default 5.  Tried everything I can think of. :-\
I've not used the PAW audio previously as I usually bluetooth audio to intercom from tablet using EVFR audio alerts.

Regards
Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2016, 10:25:36 pm »
Alan,

I'll set up my spare and see what happens here.

Peter

exfirepro

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 10:43:02 pm »
Lee / Alan,

Mine is doing the same thing Lee. Unit started up on Volume 10. I adjusted it to 5, pressed 'Save' and it immediately goes straight back to Level 10. I have tried this several times.

Not sure what version you are running Alan. This one I have here on my 'spare' is showing as 20161130, which I installed off your USB stick at Telford Lee, so I guess Alan may be using the same version. I meant to ask whether this is the same as the 20161124 'Release' version, or whether the one on your stick is a later 'work in progress' - which might explain the audio setting problem.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:50:41 pm by exfirepro »

Sean McDonald

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 02:34:53 pm »
Same here last time I was switched on. Defaults to 5

Admin

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2016, 03:02:38 pm »
yes hands up - introduced a small bug there that the audio volume is locked
Apologies, we can make a fix to that single change

exfirepro

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 04:22:59 pm »
Thanks Lee,

At least we now know.

Peter

Moffrestorer

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2016, 03:53:12 pm »
Hi Lee,

Has a fix been made to the bug. If I download the latest version again, that includes PAW Radar, is the audio volume facility unlocked?

Thx,

Chris

Admin

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2016, 09:59:59 pm »
Not yet
Will make an announcement when done

Thx

AllanBirt

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2017, 03:50:49 pm »
Glad I read this post as I thought I was going mad  ;D ;D, I'm also having the same problem, in my case stuck at volume 10. I want to try to reduce this as I seem to be getting a lot of interference coming through my headset. I have some Bose A20 Bluetooth version and I'm using the audio jack for my pilotaware connection, I'm hoping by reducing the volume this problem will go away  ;) ;)

I forgot to mention I'm running the latest software as Peter kindly updated mine at the last show.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:54:32 pm by AllanBirt »

AllanBirt

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2017, 04:47:44 pm »
Since coming back from a local flight and doing some further testing, I notice you get some background noise when using the sound card on the PilotAware. But if I plug my mobile into my headset there is no background noise, so is the sound card on the PilotAware always on, even when no alerts are being transmitted, if this is the case this maybe my issue with some interference within flight.

The volume is nice and clear when the alerts are being transmitted, it's this annoying interference which is causing a problem.

Is anyone else able to test there PilotAware on the ground and see if you get this background noise, then if you test your mobile there should be no noise.

Richard

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2017, 05:17:20 pm »
Hi Alan,
   Just for reference I don't get any sound interference from the PAW, My setup is Funkwerk  Transceiver with built in audio intercom and AUX sound input which is fed by a PA-60 Audio Mixer http://www.fdatasystems.com/ap-60-audio-mixer/ to which PAW is connected along side SMARTASS.  I have added a separate volume for PAW to my panel, so the I can set the volume to very Quiet on the ground/Taxi and turn it up when settled into flight it all works a treat.
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2017, 05:23:36 pm »
Hi Allan,

What is your power supply ?
I have read a few reports of power supplies contributing to audio noise,
Maybe a small ferrite on the power line could compensate ?

Do you know the impedence of your headset input

Thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2017, 05:54:54 pm »

A ferrite won't really help much on the USB lead, especially as the cable should be shielded anyway.  To be of any use they really need to be the right size and with the right number of turns of wire through them.  Both of these depends on knowing what need to be suppressed, getting it wrong can actually make things worse.
If you need to add one to the 12v side feeding the power supply then the supply is terrible and I'd be really concerned what else it may be emitting.

If you have made up an audio lead and are using shielded cable, ensure to only ground the shield at one end.  What type of plug are you using in the Pi audio socket?
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

AllanBirt

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2017, 07:09:38 pm »
Hi Allan,

What is your power supply ?
I have read a few reports of power supplies contributing to audio noise,

Do you know the impedence of your headset input

Thx
Lee

Hi Lee

I use the Anker Power Drive 2 socket as per the link https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Charger-Adapter-PowerDrive-Samsung/dp/B00VH84L5E  as recommended by pilotaware, I don't get any interference with my radio, with my iPad and other electrical items running including PAW, which is great. The only time I get some additional noise is when I use the sound output from the PAW and this's connected directly  to my headset via the 3.5 jack. I even get some noise when just trying this at home, but when flying this is amplified with engine interference I guess.  :( :(

Not sure what the impedance of my headset are, all I know they are BOSE A20 GA with Bluetooth connectivity.

I thought with reducing the PAW volume this might resolve this, but until fixed I am unable to test  :D

When I next pop up I will just plug my mobile to my headset using the same cable that's supplied to see if I also get some interference, I'm pretty confident all will be ok tho  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:09:27 am by AllanBirt »