Author Topic: Audio Testing  (Read 51429 times)

dougblair

Audio Testing
« on: June 20, 2016, 12:35:31 pm »
I have found it useful for audio testing that when you change the volume via the configure panel a nice young lady says " Pilotaware "  If this is not in the instructions then it would be a useful inclusion. As described in the instructions the test setting of Mode S also provides audio warnings that are a usefull test.

Doug

dougblair

Re: Audio Testing
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 10:27:30 am »
I tested audio airborne last night.  OK on the ground but ( on max I think but is there any way of proving it ?) not loud enough in the Jodel. I was using a redundant audio in feed from an old adf.

What is the Pi output levels ?  Next plan is to try a mic input with the Pi any comments ? I am working thro a 4 place intercom.

Doug

JCurtis

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:38:46 am »
There is a bug at the moment where if you increase the volume it doesn't save it, so on power up it defaults to the low setting.  It's on Lee's list of things to do.
So it may have been OK at home, but did you turn it up again when flying?
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

dougblair

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:51:10 am »
Probably not.  There would have been several power down / ups before getting airborne and bright sunlight slightly bumpy and being solo conditions meant I did not do much fiddling in the air.  I will pause or take note
 until the bug is sorted.  Maybe the web page could indicate the level set.  That would be useful.
I did have fun with the other a/c that had my old PAW with new bridge in it and we re set up on the ground and did an air to ground demo to a few of the Mona Flying Club members.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 12:47:30 pm »
Hi Doug,

I found for my purposes that the audio output level from the Pi 2B isn't loud enough ( though my kids ARE saying I need a hearing Aid!). I wanted to combine the audio output of my tablet with PAW to then feed to the aux input of the integral intercom of our Becker 8.33khz radio. The little mixer I made up was passive and so effectively reduced the PAW level even further. The radio aux input sensitivity was set to max.

I had noticed that PAW didn't remember the audio volume setting in the Configuration page, that Jeremy refers to. Extremely useful that "PilotAware" is spoken every time the volume controls are pressed.

So I ended up making an amplifier to put inside the mixer, one based on the Texas Instrument LM 386 8-pin chip. I priced out the components from RS Components but because you have to buy in multiples it was working out pricey for a couple of resistors, capacitors, the chip and some Vero Board.

Maplin was the saviour! They have a range of little project kits. They had two different amplifiers using this chip and include a small PCB and all components. I opted for the 1Watt Output version that can be connected to 12v DC power. It worked out half the cost of buying components individually from RS and features a preset gain control that I can access through a hole drilled in the case of the mixer unit.

When powered up in our Eurostar, I noticed a faint audible clicking interference through the headset, but reducing the sensitivity of the radio aux input to near minimum effectively suppressed this. In the air I was satisfied with the audio levels and was able to pre-set them close to what I was receiving from the Tower via RTF. If I need to mute either the PAW or navigation audio from the IPad this is easily achieved by turning down the appropriate volume pot on the mixer which I have velcro'd to the bottom edge of the panel adjacent to the central throttle control.

bryannortje

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 02:06:22 pm »
Care to share the link to the item you bought from Maplin as they seem to do a few types  :o

brinzlee

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 02:23:24 pm »

bryannortje

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 02:56:09 pm »

Moffrestorer

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 04:08:56 pm »
Bryan,

The amp I used was the one that Brinzlee posted a link for, also I remember paying £8.99 for it. Gain is 50 and is sufficient for my set-up. Higher gain is possible by altering the capacitor value between pins 1 and 8 of the chip I recall. Plenty of info on the net if you google LM386. I chose the 1Watt kit because  of its greater drive (output) capability compared to the pre-amp kits.

Regards,

Chris

dougblair

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 08:14:33 pm »
I have ordered a little amp board just in case.  I am hoping to use an audio input that was once used for an ADF.  This will be neat as I can switch the paw audio off if need.   I also noticed the clicking interference but it was not really significant.
I will have a fiddle with a head set at home and next time at the plane reset the vol at power up plus have a co pilot. Last night I was engine warming in a 15 - 20 kts wind so really needed to have my eyes outside.

brinzlee

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 12:14:29 pm »
I found the transponder used to cause a clicking noise through the intercom/radio by a very poorly wired unscreened avionics setup....Also maybe check strobes if you have them ?

dougblair

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 01:33:01 pm »
Hi all, I have installed the little amp that Lee pointed out on e bay. I can get good volume.  Testing in the hangar I am getting an annoying amount of interference. All other electronics, stropbes etc are  OFF except intercom.  There is a distinct click click  plus some white noise.  If you turn the PAW on and off you can hear it go thro a start up sequence. Depower the PAW or disconnect the audio lead and it disapears.  I have also tried moving the PAW away from the little amp board with no success.

I need to ask pretty please that the PAW volume reset on power off bug is de bugged.  If I turn the PAW up I get enough signal for the s/n to be ok.

I am convinced that the audio is the best feature of PAW. 

Doug

Admin

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 05:50:03 pm »
Hi Doug

Volume issue is fixed in the next release - it remembers the volume level after reboot

Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 07:24:42 pm »
Great, and well done. Do you have a release date?