Author Topic: Software updates  (Read 7932 times)

Nigel waller

Software updates
« on: June 15, 2016, 12:52:09 pm »
I have installed my unit in a weather proof plastic hobby type box
and put it in my flex wing and it works fine but as this is a semi permanent
installation and to retrieve the unit for software  updates means taking the whole thing out. Will there be in the future a way of updating the software via wifi ? so the whole unit can stay in place.

Nigel 

Admin

Re: Software updates
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 12:55:02 pm »
Hi Nigel,

Please add this to the enhancement request thread.

Just to clarify, are you proposing that it would connect to your phones internet and download via the phones internet - could be expensive ?

Thx
Lee

Nigel waller

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 01:06:20 pm »
Hi Lee
No connect via the wifi we have at the airfield

Nigel

gvpsj

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 05:29:22 pm »
I have a similar installation situation. My PAW is re-housed in a metal bespoke box and the whole 'system' is mounted behind the back baggage panel in my Europa. Updating is ok but will take time. There is no good internet or WiFi or internet on the airfield and I thought I could just take the SD card to my desktop at home as required - will this be so? Also how are updates promulgated as I would not have a clue where to go on this diverse Forum for the information
Cheers John

Richard

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 06:04:30 pm »
I have a simaler situation as John, to take the card home and use a second Rasburry Pi B+ to do the network update via my router. It would be nice to do the update via a mobile at the airfield.
Richard.
Europa XS

Moffrestorer

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 11:01:36 am »
Richard, John,

If you are taking the SD card home to do SW updates, why not just buy a second card, update it when necessary, take that to the airfield and swap it over in the PAW? Has the advantage that if the update wasn't successful for any reason, you can always revert to the previous software without having a wasted trip I.e. the PAW will still be useable if you wish to fly. If it goes OK, then the original card becomes the "spare" that you can use for the next update.

NB. In anticipation of receiving the new Bridge, I downloaded 20160511 update and installed it to two SD cards. One worked fine on my Pi B+ PAW. When I received the Bridge, connected it to a Pi 2B and installed the other SD card, it wouldn't boot up for some reason. Fortunately swapping it for the one in the Pi B+ worked and I was then able to enter the licence key etc.

If you have another PAW at home (Pi B+) use this to do the "auto update" using an Ethernet connection to your router. If not, reformat the card and update "manually" via your PC.

Regards,

Chris

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 11:13:19 am »
Bear in mind if you do a "manual" update by formatting the card and putting the new software on, you'll have to wait 15-20 mins after booting the PAW before you can use it while it does all the software installation. Then you have to re-enter your licence.

Doing it in a second PI is easier!  :)

Admin

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 12:21:14 pm »
To have pilotaware reconfigure itself as a client, rather than a server and maintain connectivity is not trivial

I use a wireless AP configured as a bridge.
Could the same thing not be done to configure one of these TP-Link WR702N, to use your phones hotspot ?

In your installation - all you would then need is access to the RJ45 through an extension to the TP-Link ?
the TP-Link can be powered through USB, so a USB Power pack would suffice

Thx
Lee

gvpsj

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 12:58:22 pm »
eeeekkkkkk - hardly understood a word! I do have the factory made PAW and another set of bits so the dual SD cards would work. Need to 'import' the grandchildren to help this old bloke out again  ;)

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 01:10:40 pm »
One way to do it, without retaining connectivity, would be to have the user type in/store the SSID and password. Then the Wifi could be reconfigured as a client, go off and do its stuff, then reconfigure as the hotspot again once it's finished, or if it times out.

Another way would be to download the software to the tablet and send it across that way. I'm not sure how feasible this is with Apple products, but it might be ok with Android.

Yet another would be to do it via laptop and ethernet cable, but that starts getting complicated.

JCurtis

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 01:27:04 pm »
How about putting the files on a memory stick and plugging that in?  You can always leave a extension lead connected but tucked away until needed for installations mounted in hard to reach placed.
Then it would be a case of downloading the update, popping it onto a stick, plugging it in, and going onto the web interface and telling it to look for the files on the stick.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:24:35 pm by JCurtis »
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Admin

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 03:19:00 pm »
Apologies, just re-read my posting,
Bit geeky  ::)

Ian Melville

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 06:20:14 pm »
I have a similar installation situation. My PAW is re-housed in a metal bespoke box and the whole 'system' is mounted behind the back baggage panel in my Europa. Updating is ok but will take time. There is no good internet or WiFi or internet on the airfield and I thought I could just take the SD card to my desktop at home as required - will this be so? Also how are updates promulgated as I would not have a clue where to go on this diverse Forum for the information
Cheers John

John, there is wifi/internet at EFC, it just does not reach the hangar where your beast lives. I may be able to run LAN over the mains, so we can have a LAN connection anywhere we want. Failing that we can use a spare PAW to update the SD card.
Is your Pi accessable to remove the SD card? Or put in a short LAN lead?

Ian

Robski

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 07:25:11 am »
How about putting the files on a memory stick and plugging that in?
That sounds like a goer of an idea. Garmin etc. stuff uses that approach.
Much less scary for Joe Public than plugging RJ45's into routers.
Also means the PAW can stay installed, which I think is where we came in...
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

gvpsj

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 09:52:56 am »
Thanks Ian, we could discuss next time we meet
John