Author Topic: SOLVED! Automatic Software Upgrade not functioning  (Read 6636 times)

davidbu99

SOLVED! Automatic Software Upgrade not functioning
« on: June 11, 2016, 06:16:48 pm »
Have connected the PAW via an RJ45 to my router and followed the operating instructions. My current software is 20160511 (so supports the automatic upgrade). I can see and download manually 20160530 and its been notified on the forum. When I select check for updates it spends a few seconds checking and then states no software updates available. I also noticed an error flash on the screen during this process. Log extract below.

I assume its not downloaded the update and can't find it in ./Updates.

Any advice or shall I perform a manual update? Thanks :)

ls: cannot access /root/cache/Updates: No such file or directory
(18:06:01) SYS-MON   : Update Track
(17:58:01) SYS-MON   : Update Track(17:59:01) SYS-MON   : Update Track(18:00:01) SYS-MON   : Update Track(18:01:01) SYS-MON   : Update Track
(18:02:01) SYS-MON   : Update Track(18:03:01) SYS-MON   : Update Track(18:04:01) SYS-MON   : Update Track
(18:05:01) SYS-MON   : Update Trackls: cannot access /root/cache/Updates: No such file or directory
(17:57:55) TRX-SER   : Configuration Complete
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:55:47 pm by davidbu99 »

Admin

Re: Automatic Software Upgrade not functioning
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 07:06:22 pm »
Hi David just to be clear, is this what you did

1. Power Down PilotAware
2. Connect PilotAware to Router
3. Power up PilotAware
4. (go make a coffee and leave for 20 mins)
5. Power Down PilotAware
6. Disconnect PilotAware From Router
7. Power up PilotAware
8. Connect to PilotAware Hotspot from Tablet

Now when you go to 'Updates', are any updates available for installation ?

Thx
Lee

davidbu99

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 12:33:45 am »
Lee,

So I've carefully completed all of the steps above. At the last step, when I've connected with my tablet, and I do a check for updates, there is a pause for around 15 to 20 seconds, the screen clears, and there is just a single string in the top left hand corner saying "Checking for Updates". This text remains permanently.

If I refresh the browser it will just repeat the same. The log shows the same set of errors, e.g. SYS-MON Update Track, ls: cannot access /root/cache/Updates: No such file or directory.

If I follow the operating instructions it clearly suggests the software update check is done when the RJ45 (internet) connection is present. If I power down, restart with the RJ45, and connect to the PAW via its dynamically assigned IP address, and try the same software update test, I get the same log errors.

I'm probably inclined to just perform a manual update but would like to know what the root cause issue is likely to be. Has anyone else experienced the same problem, or alternatively has been able to perform an automatic upgrade already?

Thanks.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 08:48:48 am »
Morning David,

I'm not an expert on networking, but have been following this with interest. The update procedure Lee has advised generally works perfectly. To my knowledge this is the first time your specific problem has been reported, though the symptoms are similar to those which occur when early users of auto-update tried to connect with their PAW already powered up, which prevents the Pi getting a network connection.

As you say, you could do a manual update but that means re-formatting your card and then re-entering all your details again later. Auto-update is so much better, so try to stick with it. I have faith that Lee will get to the bottom of it.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 09:59:55 am »
Hi David,

So a quick follow up.

Firstly I want to make sure that the PilotAware unit is getting registered onto your router, could you please try the following.

So firstly as before
1. Power Down PilotAware
2. Connect PilotAware to Router
3. Power up PilotAware

Now here comes the challenging bit  ::)

You need to log onto your home router, in order to see what IP addresses have been allocated by the DHCP server.
Every router is different, so I cannot help here, other than to say, somewhere there will be a table, and in that table there will be an entry identifying the IP address given to PAW, something like ....

192.168.1.15 PilotAware-xxxxxx

the number is the important bit, because now you can connect to pilotaware via your router.

On a device that is connected to your home network, browse to the address allocated by your router, eg as above
http://192.168.1.15

this should get you to the home page, now please try to do the update by going to the Update page

Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 10:54:28 am »
'ee's already said...

If I power down, restart with the RJ45, and connect to the PAW via its dynamically assigned IP address, and try the same software update test, I get the same log errors.

Admin

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 10:57:22 am »
Doh!?!
Sorry, need to read more carefully

Deker

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 11:42:34 am »
or alternatively has been able to perform an automatic upgrade already?

For info, I've successfully updated automatically to 20160530
My network has the same subnet, so did have to 'leave for 20 mins', disconnect the PAW from the RJ45, reboot, log in to PAW on 192.168.1.1 with tablet as per normal method to see PAW home screen, and then go to the updates tab to 'click' install.
ATB
Deker
n.b. my PAW is one of the official units with bridge and I think had SW version 20160511.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 11:45:46 am by Deker »

davidbu99

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 12:07:16 pm »
Lee, Peter, thanks for the fast replies. I should at this point admit to working in IT so fairly handy around networking issues. Status update as of this morning:

1. A big ah ha was that yesterday I was doing all of this in an enclosed room with no GPS source and I noticed an erroneous date & time in the Home Screen - I wondered if this could be an issue? I re-sited the PAW into an open area with at least 3 satellites in range. This is an official unit supplied assembled

2. Re-tested my RJ45 (internet) connection on a laptop to just make sure it was working (occasionally a router or switch may need restarting)

3. Completed steps 1 to 3 (as described by Lee) and by using a LAN analyser tool discovered an IP address of 192.168.1.133

4. Quick ping test to make sure all was looking good:

--- 192.168.1.133 ping statistics ---
18 packets transmitted, 18 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.115/3.590/5.186/0.906 ms
test:~ dbuchana$

5. Web browser connected to 192.168.1.133 & checked home screen:

PLATFORM   Model B Pi 2
ETH0-IP   addr:192.168.1.133
DATE   Sun Jun 12 10:07:15 2016
UPTIME   10:07:15 up 0 days 00:12, Load 0.68:0.41:0.23
NAVIGATION   Connected 0 Devices

It's indoors so showing 3 satellites and a bunch of ADS-B traffic (I live fairly close to Heathrow!).

6. Do a check for updates - few seconds pause and then flashes an error in the browser which quickly disappears:

/root/servers/check.sh: Error

7. Similar errors as before in the log (I've attached a complete log from unit start). It appears shortly after config complete to run an Update Track routine that for whatever reason can't find an Update, example:

(09:56:01) SYS-MON : Update Track(09:57:01) SYS-MON : Update Trackls: cannot access /root/cache/Updates: No such file or directory

8. I re-tried the Check for Updates and you can see corresponding log errors for /root/cache/Updates

9. Left PAW on the internet for a further 40-minutes (needed to get a shower!). At 10:10 you now notice at the Update Track various mount commands (did it now discover the http server for the updates?). At 10:49 tried a Check for Update - same error as 7 above. It is still doing RW and RO mounts in the log

10. Powered off / disconnected RJ45 / powered on / connected tablet to PAW Wifi / tried Updates but as before it will just pause for a long time and give the same ls: cannot access /root/cache/Updates: No such file or directory

My only conclusion is that when connected to the RJ45 its struggling to open a socket to an http/https server somewhere and mount the update. Any chance this could be caused by the update server itself (it's down or not working) or perhaps router / firewall settings? That said I'm using a Virgin Media Hub / Cisco Router and its got fairly standard settings on it to my knowledge.

A curious problem anyway and happy to help try out some further test(s). I could hook up a monitor and keyboard and dust off my Linux skills ;)

Admin

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 02:10:53 pm »
Hi David

Good to know your a techy that helps a lot  :D

OK, so this is what I think.

If you are running 20160511, then this must be a networking issue, so what could it be.

Firstly, PilotAware has 2 network interfaces
wlan0 and eth0.

wlan0 is hardwired to be an access point with the DHCP server running on 192.168.1.1, so you will notice when you connect to PilotAware, it allocates IP addresses on the subnet 192.168.1.x

From the IP address allocated by your router, I see your subnet is also 192.168.1.x, other people have successfully connected PilotAware onto a 192.168.1.x subnet in the past and performed update, but then I recalled you said that you were on Virgin Media, and something struck me ..

I am also on Virgin Media but my subnet is 192.168.0.x, with my router on 192.168.0.1 - standard setup.
So I have no conflict with the wlan0 interface.

I am guessing if your subnet is 192.168.1.x, then your router is on 192.168.1.1

So could this be a clash between the routing on the eth0 and wlan0 interfaces ?

As an experiment can you reboot PilotAware on your network, with the WiFi Dongle removed ?
then try the update.

With the wifi removed it should fail to setup the wlan0 network interface, leaving only the eth0 interface.

If this is not the issue - I am nearly out of ideas  :o

Thx
Lee

davidbu99

Re: SOLVED! Automatic Software Upgrade not functioning
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 05:00:28 pm »
Lee,

Sorry, it was obvious in the end, and you had the right solution. My network scan showed my router with a hardcoded IP address of 192.168.1.1. The Virgin Media Hub had it's routing capabilities disabled and was just acting as a cable modem.

Your advice worked a treat :)

Just removed the Wifi Dongle, re-connected to the RJ45, re-booted and the update check worked immediately. Upgrade took just a few seconds and we are now at the latest release.

Thanks again for the tremendous help on a Sunday!

Off to the Guernsey Air Rally later this week from Fairoaks so will get plenty of opportunities to test it out. I'll report back next week.

Admin

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 05:15:49 pm »
Hurrah  ;D

I was getting a bit worried there !
I will ask Keith to update the Docs, to suggest removing the WiFi Dongle

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:18:29 pm by Admin »

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 08:04:25 pm »
Lee / Dave,

Actually understood 'most' of that, which is scary. I take it you are only recommending disconnecting the WiFi if normal auto-update doesn't work?

Must check my router/ subnet when I get back home as I am on Virgin (in Edinburgh) and my PAWs all update fine with the WiFi present and I can connect either of my tablets (iPad Mini 3 or Nexus 7) to them while they still connected to the router. Interesting stuff this networking.

Glad you got to the bottom of the problem

Best Regards

Peter