Author Topic: Seeing Airlines only  (Read 8218 times)

Bobby

Seeing Airlines only
« on: June 08, 2016, 11:47:40 am »
Just getting used to my new Pilot Aware and at present can only see Airlines. I am using Air Nav Pro, do I need to change anything in the settings of ANP.
Thanks

EricC

Re: Seeing Airlines only
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 06:23:46 pm »
You will only see PAW equipped aircraft if they are within 26 km of you.

If you look at TXRX you will see a large  number of TX but  no Rx

The TX is transmission from your  Bridge, RX  is received signals from

other PAW equipped aircraft.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:26:17 pm by EricC »

Bobby

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:21:26 pm »
Thanks Eric, but as a new user what exactly does this mean.  I understood that I would also receive mode C  TX from transponder equipped aircraft.  I have used my equipment at my home airport (EGNE) but only see large aircraft approaching Doncaster ATC. ????

Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 10:54:05 pm »
Hi Bobby

This could explain some of your confusion

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,4.msg6012.html#msg6012

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 10:58:28 pm »
Just a thought, Bobby,

I take it you are using a Pi2 based Classic Kit with Bridge and have Mode S enabled - Check your settings for Mode S on the (Configure) screen as it needs to be enabled by selecting one of the Mode S Separation levels - The Default Setting is 'Off'. If you want to test out your installation, I suggest setting the Mode S Detection 'Range' to the Test (Noisy) setting, which will bring in Mode S contacts (including some EeezyJ-t, RyanA-r and FlyBree Dash 8s) though you will need to set it back to Medium or Short Range for 'real world' flying use. (If in doubt see here - http://www.pilotawarehardware.com/dl/PAWOperationManual.pdf ).

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:04:32 am by exfirepro »

Bobby

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 09:19:46 pm »
Thanks to everyone who has posted advice.  I have spent hours going through all the information and made changes where necessary.  Unfortunately I can still only see information from airlines which would be well above my normal ceiling of two to five thousand feet.  Can any users perhaps suggest where I must be going wrong. ??
Thanks

Moffrestorer

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 11:34:25 pm »
Hi Bobby,

I doubt that you are doing anything wrong, especially if you have researched PAW as much as you say and have configured your unit accordingly.

Maybe you will have to accept that there is very little GA traffic in your area flying low level and transmitting either ADS-B or PAW at present. Certainly PAW and ADS-B transmissions are hopefully set to increase as market penetration increases and more mode S transponders are enabled with a GPS connection. It's still very early days!

You will hopefully now be aware that PAW Classic does not detect Mode C transponders. Better that aircraft so equipped add a PAW unit, at very modest cost, to be seen by the rest of us.

Bobby

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 09:17:09 am »
Thanks Moffrestorer
You have confirmed what I really felt but wanted to remain positive and give PAW the chance that it deserves.  I am a GA pilot who flies all over the country and having spent time at my local busy airport testing PAW and enthusiastically introducing it to my fellow aviators, only Thompson flights were indicated.  It is early days and I hope I that GA aircraft will become suitably equipped so that I can use it as the safety feature which I had anticipated.

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 10:02:19 am »
Bobby,

Likewise! I have been flying with PAW since last year fairly intensively (especially when testing as part of the Mode S development) and flew with various other systems for several years before that. It seems that whenever we have some important tests to do we struggle to find any simple mode C/S transponding aircraft. Worse still when you try to show PAW to colleagues you often can't see anything - and would be glad for the odd CAT or 2 to fly by. Worryingly, that's probably a reflection of the poor take-up of 1090 MHz transponders throughout GA and especially at my end of the GA community, which is of course the whole reason for pushing the take-up of PilotAware.

Don't despair. Keep your filters open to draw in whatever is there - even CAT is reassuring! As the number of PAWs out there increases we will all start to see them appear more frequently very soon.

Best Regards

Peter

tnowak

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 10:44:56 am »
I have still to order my PAW but am equipped with a Trig TT21 transponder and ADS-B out.

I am based down south (at Popham) should anyone need some targets!

Tony N

Bobby

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 10:48:30 am »
Peter

Thanks for your response.  It has been a little frustrating and comments from colleagues like " Flight Radar 24 " is a free APP where aircraft from around the world can be seen in real time. Hasn't helped my quest to push PAW.  I do support new technology and am always willing to keep an open mind.

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 11:00:53 am »
Hi again Bobby,

Remind them that FR24 is NOT real time! It is subject to collection, decoding and transmission delays, gaps in their receiver network and the vagaries of internet accessibility. OK, usually only minor delays, but I have seen some significant 'gaps' and variations in aircraft position which would certainly not be acceptable for collision avoidance and the unreliability of internet connection in the air might prove a bit interesting too! What you are showing them is 'LIVE - DIRECT FROM THE AIRCRAFT ITSELF' and not affected by anything outside your control. And all for the measly sum of £200. That usually works.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 05:41:04 pm by exfirepro »

JCurtis

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 12:46:15 pm »
Out of interest I have seen some Military stuff around today with ADSB, these show up on SkyDemon but are filtered from FR24.

Tempted to send the log off to Lee for perusal later, the base station has been on since around 0915 and the log is already 24Mb and growing...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:47:52 pm by JCurtis »
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Admin

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 12:58:52 pm »
Out of interest I have seen some Military stuff around today with ADSB, these show up on SkyDemon but are filtered from FR24.

Tempted to send the log off to Lee for perusal later, the base station has been on since around 0915 and the log is already 24Mb and growing...

An interesting one I caught this week had an ICAO code of 000001  :o

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 02:10:33 pm »
Wright Flyer?