Author Topic: "All-In" case  (Read 13053 times)

jollyrog

Re: "All-In" case
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 08:10:58 pm »
I bought two PAW units. On one the Micro USB is fine, on the other it is well sloppy and falls out. I reseated in the case as oer Exfirepro's suggestion but no improvement.

DaveStyles

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 05:46:42 pm »
Hi JollyRog,

if you swap the cables over, is it the cable that is a sloppy fit or the socket on the Pi ?

cheers

Dave.

jollyrog

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 07:06:27 pm »
It's the socket Dave. I've tried a bunch of different cables in there, all with the same result. The unit works properly, until the cable falls out.

grahambaker

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 08:35:29 pm »
The idea that moving air, in itself, will change the indicated barometric pressure is probably flawed, otherwise your indicated altitude would change as you accelerate down the runway :) however, that said, it would probably dependn the relative siting of the fan and the baro chip.

What will definitely make a difference will be if the fan results in a net change in static pressure within the case, which would be avoided by making the inlet/exit (depending on the way the fan is blowing) large enough to not restrict the flow. Definitely worth testing.

Richard

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 07:50:24 am »

What will definitely make a difference will be if the fan results in a net change in static pressure within the case, which would be avoided by making the inlet/exit (depending on the way the fan is blowing) large enough to not restrict the flow. Definitely worth testing.

Graham
    That will be part of my test to set inlet/outlet placed in a position to be minimal effect. Positioning the fan is not a problem with the case I will be using. I'm still awaiting a few parts for testing and will report my findings.
Richard.
Europa XS

DaveStyles

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 11:46:11 am »
It's the socket Dave. I've tried a bunch of different cables in there, all with the same result. The unit works properly, until the cable falls out.

PM sent.

cheers

Dave.

Richard

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 03:27:46 pm »
All,
   Just an update on the Fan test... It has no effectt on the pressure sensor at all.
 Took note of the pressure before staring the fan, After running there is no change to the indicated pressure in the home page, stopping the fan and letting it settle and still no change. Also checking publish Pressure from Leeds/Bradford reading exactly the same. The conclusion is a fan can be added with no problems to report.

The Case is still a Prototype but the fan is 5v USB powered from Charge2 which is also powering the PAW
Charge2 is 12v to 28v so allows it to be powered in a 28v aircraft. (A Question from another Member) BUT the FLARM RedBox is 12V so running both from a 28V aircraft is not an option. There must be a way around this I'm sure.  The Fan may be better run on 12V from the power supply internal as the 5V Fan is a little noisy like a Computer. I found the 12v 40mm Fan much quieter but is a different make. Once used in the aircraft you will not hear the fan over the engine.

I have Added a volume to the front of the case this simply allows me to turn PAW voice down if required with ease. There is no Audio Amp. The case looks very tidy with out the FLARM RedBox on top, But i'm designing for fitting behind the aircraft panel out of sight.

The FLARM still needs to be updated Once a Year, It would be nice to be able to do this via the USB through PAW. Lee, can this be possible?

The front panel has also got a USB access for the Updates which allows it to stay in the aircraft.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 04:10:04 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 08:45:05 am »
Hi Richard,

Looking good, though perhaps a bit on the big side for my own installation inside a flex wing pod  :(. WRT the 'red box' there are lots of converters out there to allow running 12 volt equipment in 24 volt vehicles (e.g. most lorries), so you should be able to incorporate a suitable converter if you need to run the red box (and 12 volt fan) from 24 volts. Good news on the fan. I always reckoned that as long as there was sufficient 'free area' to prevent internal pressurisation that would be the case. Nice to see it proved. I would guess a 12 volt fan would probably run smoother and hence quieter and probably a bit heavier construction, so possibly longer lasting.

I like the idea of a manual audio volume control. A colleague has just built a mixer to merge his radio and PAW input to his intercom, which also provides this function. Much easier / quicker than trying to adjust the PAW audio from the configure screen in flight. I know several others have fitted mixers previously and although I don't need it to match levels, I may go down this route just to provide rapid and convenient audio adjustment.

FYI, I have been using USB stick for some time now to update PAW with the FLARM Integration engineering updates and it works great - extremely fast - and also allows super fast downloading of PAW track logs. Much faster and simpler than the old methods, though there is one minor issue when you put your 'stick' back into a windows PC as Windows doesn't recognise the PAW.pgp 'update' file and mistakenly reports the stick as 'faulty'. Simply ignore this 'warning' and all is fine.

IIRC the 'red box' can be updated via the data cable, but not sure this could be achieved from PAW without seriously upsetting F*ARM's legal department though!

Keep up the good work

Regards

Peter