Author Topic: "All-In" case  (Read 13140 times)

bharb

"All-In" case
« on: June 02, 2016, 06:00:59 pm »
Hello!

I use my Pilotaware unit on chartered planes and it works great as far as I have seen on ground (have not been in the air since I received mine). The only downside is the case, because it feels like all the dongles will get lost  soon and therefore its hard to recommend to the typical "old school pilots".

Did anybody think about a case which includes all the components inkl. the dongles, maybe printed with a 3d printer?

Cheers,
Bernhard.

DaveStyles

Re: "All-In" case
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 06:24:50 pm »
Aviation Tech and Hardware have a 3D printer that we use to prototype parts.
3D printing would be excessively expensive, £20 - £30 each case on a short run basis.

Having some bespoke cases injection moulded for the unit just *might* be part of the roadmap if funds permit. Like all these things (take CE marking for instance) the initial costs are expensive.

Richard

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 06:28:59 pm »
Hi we did a lot of work on this 4 month back. Just do a search on this forum for " custom cases "
Richard.
Europa XS

bharb

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 07:35:57 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I really like your case Richard. I am trying to get these components here in Austria now, hopefully the result is as good as yours ;)

Cheers,
Bernhard.

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 11:18:13 pm »
Hi we did a lot of work on this 4 month back. Just do a search on this forum for " custom cases "

Hi Richard,

I tried that but your thread didn't come up. After a bit of searching, I eventually found the information you were referring to. To save anyone else the same hassle, here is the link for anyone else looking for this thread -  http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,133.msg1882.html#msg1882

I still like the idea of your 'all in one' case by the way  :) :)

Regards

Peter

bharb

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 08:07:55 am »
Does anybody have a solution for a more stable power connector? I do not trust the mini usb thing.

Cheers,
Bernhard b

Richard

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 08:47:23 am »

Hi Richard,

I tried that but your thread didn't come up. After a bit of searching, I eventually found the information you were referring to. To save anyone else the same hassle, here is the link for anyone else looking for this thread -  http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,133.msg1882.html#msg1882

I still like the idea of your 'all in one' case by the way  :) :)

Sorry I could not add the link as I was replying on my iPad, you found it in the end, good

I did drill some 3mm holes in the top of the case over the usb connections in a round shape like a small speaker to help with venterlaton, the case has Been working well and all the usb connections are protected.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:41:55 am by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

JCurtis

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 09:47:05 am »
Does anybody have a solution for a more stable power connector? I do not trust the mini usb thing.

Cheers,
Bernhard b

The micro-USB B connector on the Pi is pretty robust, rated at 10,000 cycles over the original Type A at 1,500.  With the micro range of connectors the sockets have been made more robust and the idea is the connector on the cable wears out faster as its easier to change the cable than the connector. 

That said there is a huge difference in the quality of the USB sockets available, but I suspect the one on the Pi is one of the decent makes and the cable supplied with the PilotAware kit is one of the good ones too.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 02:26:47 pm »

Cheers,
Bernhard b

Hi Bernhardt / Jeremy - comments noted

Agree it is a good connector, but I had mine come out a couple of times with one of my early test units - possibly a poor quality cable. As it is now mounted up behind the dash, I made a 'stirrup' from a cable tie, which goes right round the PAW body, held to the power cable itself by a separate small cable tie round both ends of the main stirrup and the power cable. The 'buckle' end of the main 'stirrup' cable tie stops it slipping through and I cut another buckle off another tie to stop the free end slipping through. Reasonably tidy and cleaner than wrapping tape round to hold the cable in.

Sorry not able to add photo as I'm not at home, but will add a photo later.

Regards

Peter

Postscript October 2016 During a recent 'refit' I discovered that the reason the cable had been coming out was that the Pi board was incorrectly seated inside the case, preventing the microUSB from seating fully home and latching in place (my fault entirely - this unit was a home build). I simply reset the board in its proper position and the 'problem' is sorted. So if your cable comes out, check the seating of your Pi in its case - especially if you have had it out for any reason. 😳

Peter

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:22:45 am by exfirepro »

Richard

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 10:19:49 pm »
Another option is to put sone hot glue around the micro plug body once it is installed, this solution may be better for a permanent fit !
Richard.
Europa XS

Richard

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 10:08:39 pm »
I,m currently redesigning my PAW case...... I was thinking of adding a fan to help with cooling the ADSB receiver, but giving the fan some thought..... would the air flow affect the pressure sensor? If the airflow can exit as fast as it goes in would it still affect?
Richard.
Europa XS

DaveStyles

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 10:57:05 pm »
I,m currently redesigning my PAW case...... I was thinking of adding a fan to help with cooling the ADSB receiver, but giving the fan some thought..... would the air flow affect the pressure sensor? If the airflow can exit as fast as it goes in would it still affect?

It's a long shot, but you may have heard about the Bernoulli effect?  ;D ;D

Pressure is lower in a moving fluid. (and the faster it moves, the lower the pressure) So yes, it could.

Richard

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 08:07:05 am »
Thank you David.  I will try to see what happens. The fan is a small 12v 40mm. The test will be to have it pushing air in and turn it over to pull air out. The test should be simple. I will add a switch so an on/off test can be completed when monitoring the numbers displayed on the home page of PAW.

PS. Looking forward to the PAW presentation at Sherburn Aero Club on the 10th November.
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 08:26:17 am »
Hi Richard,

Watching with interest. Reminded me to post an update (see above) re my 'power lead coming out' fix - problem now sorted with no recurrence.

Regards

Peter

Richard

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 06:24:25 pm »
Peter
      I'm just awaiting a few parts to arrive befor testing can begin (on the kitchen table) I will update my findings but I think adding a fan will start to give inaccurate pressure readings.
Richard.
Europa XS