Author Topic: SOLVED - ADS-B has stopped working on my Classic  (Read 5662 times)

grahambaker

SOLVED - ADS-B has stopped working on my Classic
« on: May 30, 2016, 11:08:59 pm »
I received one of the first batch of Classics, and had it fired up and working in 15 minutes with no problems. I'm using it with SkyDemon.

I used it in anger for the first time on a trip to Berlin and back this weekend. On the way out there, it worked just as I expected, picking up lots of targets, both Mode S and ADS-B (I'm not aware that I've spotted any PAW targets yet). However, coming back over the last two days, its performance has continuously degraded to the point that even after opening up the sensitivity and removing the height filters (on SkyDemon as well) I'm seeing nothing.

The ADS-B receiver USB module seems to be getting quite hot, compared to the other plug-ins and the unit itself. I was using a short power lead supplied with an Easyacc rechargeable battery pack to start with, and have tried again with the supplied lead to no avail.

I let the whole lot cool down and tried again off the aircraft, and as before it is seeing no targets. The 'traffic light' block remains resolutely red, all others being green, and the Traffic page is empty.

Any ideas, or have I just got a dud ADS-B unit which needs replacing?

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 05:20:29 pm by GrahamBaker »

Admin

Re: ADS-B has stopped working on my Classic
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 11:11:43 pm »
Hi Graham
Sorry to hear you are having trouble, could you please post a screenshot of

1. The home Page - 192.168.1.1
2. the logging page

This should tell us what the problem is.

The ADS-B receiver USB module seems to be getting quite hot
The ADS-B does run hot, but this is normal.

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:13:16 pm by Admin »

grahambaker

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 10:15:37 am »
Hi Lee,

That was quick! I'll get a chance to have a play this evening, although at home and not in the aircraft.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 11:09:00 am »
Hi Graham,

You've probably read it elsewhere, the quality of the power lead is critical to ensure the PAW runs efficiently. I would also be interested in how old your battery pack is - i.e. does it hold its charge for the length of the flight you were undertaking, as this would obviously affect operation if the voltage was to drop off.

As Lee says, if you can power up your unit and post screen grabs of the 'Home' and 'Logging' pages, he will be able to see what is happening. If running it at home try to do so where the gps module has a clear view of the sky and be aware, some modern double glazing can seriously degrade gps reception.

Regards

Peter

grahambaker

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 08:59:28 pm »
Hi Lee,

Two screen shots attached.

This is running with the supplied cable, but as noted before, the unit was running fine up until Monday with the cable supplied with the power pack. This is an EasyAcc 2nd generation 10000maH, and capable of delivering 2.4A. The only thing running off it is the PAW.

grahambaker

Re: SOLVED - ADS-B has stopped working on my Classic
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 05:22:08 pm »
Just to conclude this thread - Lee took a look at the logs above and decided that a new ADS-B module was in order; I received that today from Dave, and all is working fine now.

Thanks chaps, excellent service.

exfirepro

Re: SOLVED - ADS-B has stopped working on my Classic
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 06:25:31 pm »
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it was looking that way and wondered when Lee hadn't come back on line.

Welcome back!!

Peter