Author Topic: SOLVED! - Software Download not working  (Read 10763 times)

Paddy

SOLVED! - Software Download not working
« on: May 30, 2016, 12:14:57 pm »
Anyone know of problems with the software download button? It doesn't seem to be working for me. When I hit it nothing happens, the other buttons seems fine.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:21:13 pm by Admin »

Admin

Re: Software Download not working
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 12:32:20 pm »
Anyone know of problems with the software download button? It doesn't seem to be working for me. When I hit it nothing happens, the other buttons seems fine.

Hi Paddy,
What machine are you trying to download from ?
Really needs to be a Windows PC, Linux PC, or MAC.
Thx
Lee

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 12:44:41 pm »
Ah good point, I was trying to do it on my iPad mini that I use for flying. Will now try on windows. But doesn't the software need to be on my iPad?

AlanG

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 01:51:55 pm »
Hi Paddy

As you say you are downloading the software I assume that you have built your own unit and are not using a complete new "Classic" PAW that comes complete with the software pre-installed.
None of the PAW software is required on your tablet, it is all transferred to a pre-formatted SD Memory Card (via your PC/Mac) which is then installed into the Raspberry Pi to run the PAW.  The only software you will require on your tablet is a proprietary Navigation software of your choice, (I use EasyVFR) which accepts the output from the PAW to give you visual representation of the traffic around you.
There is a thread on here dedicated to the correct way to format the SD card etc. 
Check this out.   http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,231.0.html
Hope this helps
Apologies if I have mis-understood what you are trying to do.

Regards
Alan

Admin

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 03:20:51 pm »
Ah good point, I was trying to do it on my iPad mini that I use for flying. Will now try on windows. But doesn't the software need to be on my iPad?

Hi Paddy,
I have just realised you have purchased the classic, so no need to download the software, it is all pre-installed for you.
You just need to enter the license code, and connect to your navigation software

Thx
Lee

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 03:34:47 pm »
Hi Alan, it's me confusing things (not technical by any means sorry). I bought a complete Classic the other week, followed all the instructions ref configuring it and tried it out on a trip to France this past week, but it didn't work and never picked anything up. Now I'm back I've been reading again and thought I was a dope as I never installed any software on the iPad. So it appears I was going down the wrong track. My initial question should have been, anyone got any idea why it's not picking anything up?

Paddy

Re: SOLVED! - Software Download not working
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 03:37:16 pm »
Lee, I did this but it never worked (picked up anything) Where do I get access to check I entered the code correctly?

Paddy

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 04:18:44 pm »
Ah found it on the home page, licence code correct (no O just noughts). How can I check if it's working without the hours drive to my airfield? In the garden and connected to iPad mini with skydemon in "fly" route mode perhapse? Will this pick up nearby aircraft?

AlanG

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 05:23:55 pm »
Hi Paddy

Ok, as you say best to take the whole unit outside for clear view of the sky then first thing to check is on the home page of the PAW web server is are all the connections (below the Date/Uptime) showing Red or Green.  ADS-B could be Red if no traffic around but should turn Green as soon as some messages (Msgs=) arrive.
If these are Green then this indicates that the PAW is working and your problem could be the settings for SkyDemon for which I am not familiar as I use EasyVFR There are several threads on here regarding the settings required for the two to interact correctly
If all are still Red, Check that the licence expiry date is correct as this would indicate that you have entered the key code correctly or not as the case may be.
Be aware that the first time to find the satellites can take a few minutes.
Hope this helps.

Regards
Alan
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:34:06 pm by AlanG »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 09:17:51 pm »
When setting up Sky Demon to receive traffic, you can set the limits to 49000ft or something, then you should see some airliners. Makes a good test, but remember to reset it to something sensible if you don't want all the traffic appearing when you're flying.

Paddy

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 09:26:38 pm »
Thanks Paul, I'm showing 5 satellites and traffic is constantly being updated on the traffic page, yet nothing showing in SD. The PAW home page says connected devices=0. What should the settings in SD connectivity settings be? And should I be selecting flare? PAW is not listed?

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 09:38:58 pm »
Set 6000 under Connectivity Options -> FLARM Options: Air Connect Key.

Yes, select "Use FLARM".

The height limits for traffic are under Navigation Options -> Other Traffic: Show Within Vertically

Paddy

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 10:09:35 pm »
Done, but still not working. Once I "go flying" and select flarm it says failed to establish connection with butterfly connect unit. Any ideas?

Admin

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 10:16:41 pm »
Done, but still not working. Once I "go flying" and select flarm it says failed to establish connection with butterfly connect unit. Any ideas?

Hi Paddy
This implies that the ipad is no longer connected to the pilotaware wifi hotspot, are you sure it is still connected ?

Thx
Lee

Paddy

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 10:45:23 pm »
Your right Lee, been at this since this morning and failed to notice I was still on the house wifi after I changed the code in SD? Success at last. Notice some aircraft come and go, is this normal? And I'm picking ac up at up to 80km, wow.

Many thanks for your help and thanks to all those that offered thier advice.

Phase two - get it working with my transponder - save that for another day

Regards