Author Topic: Question about PilotAware Bridge  (Read 8403 times)

Vic

Question about PilotAware Bridge
« on: May 26, 2016, 07:32:12 am »
I first became aware of PAW a couple of weeks ago when I repaired a friends Zaon PCAS antenna, and , having the opportunity to fly with it , liked the Idea and scoured the net for a possible home built solution, initially seeing Lee's post on the Flyer forums asking about such a possibility. I then had the amazing opportunity to read the full development of the PAW in a few hours! 

I assembled my PAW from parts I had around and a few other items sourced on Ebay (stupidly only a Pi B+) in around an hour. All up and working first time seeing ADSB replies which is a great credit to all those who have worked so hard over the years.

I am going to buy the Radio bridge for my home built setup when it becomes freely available.

Does it come with the antenna and spacers etc to mount it on the Pi? there is no mention of these parts on the hardware site.

Maybe I missed it but I can't seem to see it anywhere.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:04:42 pm by Vic »

exfirepro

Re: Question about Pilotaware Bridge
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 08:14:21 am »
Hi Vic,

The old original ARF proved unreliable, so Lee & Co designed and produced the new PilotAware RF Bridge transceiver unit, which is now fully CE certified. It plugs straight onto the IO pins of the Pi B+ (or Pi2) and comes with a 1st year software licence. It doesn't come with an antenna, (because most people buying the 'bridge only' already have one from their original 'Wireless Things' ARF, but antennas should be available on Pilotaware Hardware shortly.

If you want the full range of detection, particularly mode S, plus the audio warnings, remember you will need to upgrade to a Pi 2 as the B+ isn't powerful enough to drive the additional features.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:49:05 am by exfirepro »

Vic

Re: Question about ARF Bridge
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 08:26:01 am »
Thanks Peter.

Can't say I'm particularly interested in the audio warnings but can you describe the specifics of the 'Mode S' detection as against the ADSB? does this provide the PCAS type functionality?

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 09:23:10 am »
Thanks Peter.

Can't say I'm particularly interested in the audio warnings but can you describe the specifics of the 'Mode S' detection as against the ADSB? does this provide the PCAS type functionality?

Hi again Vic,

As you will be aware, ADSB provides accurate position information (as does the new PAW Bridge P3i), so the moving aircraft can be displayed on a tablet using SkyDemon, EasyVFR, Runway HD, etc. As you presumably know, raw transponders do not provide any position information except (in the case of modes C and S) - altitude information.

Systems like the PCAS (which I have run myself since 2009) operate by decoding this altitude information and then trying to determine distance to target by interpolating from the strength of the received signal. Even with some very clever mathematical algorithms, however, it is extremely difficult to do this reliably and accurately, principally due to the massive variation in output strength between light and commercial aircraft transponders. The principle criticism of the ZAON products has always been that the reported distance to targets was unreliable. This led to reports of 'false alerts', when the target aircraft was in fact there, but just too far away to see.

As trying to accurately show distance to target from transponders is unreliable, we decided early on not to do so, but instead to simply identify the presence of (at present) mode S aircraft with a simple graphical warning (e.g. in SkyDemon an aircraft symbol centred on your own position and including call sign / ID and relative altitude - other tablet systems vary in the way they display the information). This is then supplemented by audio alerts 'traffic - notice', 'alert' then 'danger' if the aircraft continues to get closer. The use of audio alerts is deliberate to encourage the pilot to look for the approaching aircraft outside the cockpit rather than on a display screen.

We have also provided user selectable 'Mode S Detection Range' settings to cater for flight from sparsely populated (in transponder terms) 'rural' areas  to operation in a high density CAT environment. This work is ongoing with further developments expected.

Hope this helps make things clearer.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:26:37 am by exfirepro »

Vic

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 09:48:39 am »
Thanks for the excellent clarification Peter, I obviously thought the Zaon was cleverer than it was, using timings between Radar interrogations and A/C replies to triangulate distances, clearly it 'cheats'!

Still. when every flying machine is fitted with a PilotAware with ARF (and who shouldn't at this cost) We won't need to worry!  :D

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 10:19:06 am »
Thanks for the excellent clarification Peter, I obviously thought the Zaon was cleverer than it was, using timings between Radar interrogations and A/C replies to triangulate distances, clearly it 'cheats'!

The big brother/sister PCAS XRX does reportedly use timings and other fancy algorithms - and 4 antennas to work out directional bearings and may also have done a bit of triangulation for distance comparison, but that is way outside the scope of a basic Pi / single antenna setup.

With the push towards uncertified GPS driven ADSB, LPAT, etc, and the rapid rise in the number of PAW equipped aircraft, who knows - basic transponders may soon become a thing of the past and life will be so much easier!

Regards

Peter  ;)

DaveStyles

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 10:19:31 am »
Remember.. it's definitely not an ARF !

After the ARF replacement program finishes next week, we will be banning the term from PilotAware ;-)

exfirepro

Re: Question about RF Bridge
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 10:23:23 am »
Easily sorted Dave

Post title can be amended to 'Question about RF Bridge' hopefully with Vic's approval.

Damn - didn't work - presumably only original poster can change thread title by amending original post.

Down to you Vic.

Peter

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:54:37 pm by exfirepro »

Admin

Re: Question about PilotAware Bridge
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 10:55:50 am »
Changed :-)

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 11:16:36 am »
Thank's Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 11:33:08 am »
Like a bridge over troubled waters.

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 11:34:56 am »
Hopefully not too troubled Paul  :) :)

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 03:20:49 pm »
The troubled waters being the old ARF.  :o

DaveStyles

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 03:57:17 pm »
It's not a shield that fits on to a Raspberry Pi, shielding it from things.

It's a board that you place on a Raspberry Pi which builds bridges between aircraft.

It's a "PilotAware Bridge".

AlanG

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 05:27:12 pm »
And I want one and I want it NOW!!   :'(

Alan