Author Topic: SOLVED! - PAW Classic starts then reboots: Use supplied power lead  (Read 8269 times)

Dave W

My recently received Classic boots up to a "Pilot3i-rpi Login:"then reboots. That cycle repeats.

The Wifi Hotspot appears for a short period then is no longer visible before the reboot occurs.

I have tried the following:

- Different WiFi dongle
- Different GPS dongle
- Different ADS-B unit
- Swapping USB ports
- New microSD card with clean install of latest software load (20160511) from website

(Different hardware described above have all been previously known to work on PiB+ beta units.)

Is there anything else I can try?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:05:35 pm by Dave W »

Paul_Sengupta

Re: PAW Classic starts then reboots - faulty unit?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 12:14:45 pm »
New PSU?

Just a thought.

Dave W

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:17:04 pm »
I've tried it from mains via external 5V supply as well as two separate powerpacks each of which should be good up to 3A.

I'll try again with another tonight, though.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 12:26:06 pm »
It was just a long shot, sounds unlikely.

Have you tried it with only the Wifi dongle in?

Dave W

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 12:30:23 pm »
Umm. Not sure.  I will do that, too.

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 02:05:41 pm »
Hi Dave,

Did you do a full overwrite reformat of your micro SD card before loading / reloading new software? You no longer need to do this if using the 'Auto update' facility from an existing software version, but if using a new or previously used card and performing a 'new' installation, the card has to be reformatted using SDFormatter before loading the software. If in doubt see the instructions in the Documentation Section of this forum.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:09:23 pm by exfirepro »

Dave W

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 02:10:25 pm »
Thanks, Peter.

Yes, I used SD Formatter set to "FULL (Overwrite)" and auto size "ON".

Because the Classic unit was failing to boot with the SD card supplied, I used a different (known good) card and a fresh install from the PAW download site.

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 02:13:59 pm »
Dave,

Seems you have thought of everything us mere mortals can suggest. Guess we need Lee's expertise to advise you further.

Regards

Peter!

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 03:10:04 pm »
The only reason I suggesting using the Wifi dongle only was because in the past there have been some PIs which were faulty in that they couldn't supply all the current to all the USB slots. Another long shot. Sounds like the Pi has issues though.

Admin

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 06:14:20 pm »
Hi Dave,

I would have said a power issue, but the fact that you have tried 3 different supplies would indicate that is not the issue.
Just to confirm you are using the power lead provided with the PilotAware classic unit ?

Please PM me with your telephone number so I can give you a call.

Thx
Lee

Dave W

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 08:04:51 pm »
Just to confirm you are using the power lead provided with the PilotAware classic unit ?

Don't I feel a numpty? :-[

Lee, I read the above and immediately thought "Yes, naturally: I've definitely been using the supplied power lead" and then.... "Hmm.  Have I? I think so but..."

Anyway, I made sure to use it just now and sure enough the device no longer falls into a reboot cycle - problem solved.  I've successfully started half a dozen times now with no issues.

So lesson learned:  Use the supplied lead, even if you think an alternative is up to the job...

I've marked the lead up as "For PAW" to avoid using an incorrect one again. 

exfirepro

Re: SOLVED! - PAW Classic starts then reboots: Use supplied power lead
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 08:07:39 pm »
Hi Dave,

Great stuff. It's nice when you get to the bottom of a problem isn't it. Just a little prompt from Lee and Bingo!!

Best regards

Peter

DaveStyles

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 09:45:36 pm »
We tested leads from more than one supplier and in more than one gauge before we settled on one that is reliable. Nice to see it was worth it !

Dave W

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 09:48:01 pm »
Something for me to remember when I make the Bridge-only order for my second unit that's for sure!

Thanks, everyone. :)