Author Topic: Is a GPS dongle needed?  (Read 7421 times)

tj80

Is a GPS dongle needed?
« on: May 23, 2016, 11:15:50 am »
Hi,

I'm afraid I'm a bit out of date with the latest situation - I was an early tester but things have moved on since then!  I used to use PilotAware with an iPad using the CollisionAware app which, I believe, passed the GPS location from the iPad's built-in receiver to PAW.  I know there is now the ability to use a USB GPS receiver on PAW, but have a few questions:

- Is a USB GPS receiver required or optional?
- If used, does it only provide a GPS fix to PAW or does it effectively also replace the GPS receiver in the iPad for use with navigation apps such as SkyDemon?
- If the PAW GPS replaces the iPad receiver, can this behaviour be changed so the iPad continues to use its own GPS and PAW uses the USB receiver?  I have no problems with the reliability of the iPad GPS, and would be concerned that lots of things could cause the PAW GPS to drop out in-flight resulting in loss of navigation as well as PAW functionality (flat PAW battery, wifi link failure, something falling out of a USB port, etc!)

Many thanks,
Tim

Thanks,
Tim

Keithvinning

Re: Is a GPS dongle needed?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 11:29:34 am »
Hi Tim

Yes you do need a GPS with PilotAware. The collision aware app is no longer supported. It replaces the GPS in the tablet. whilst the GPS in the iPad tended to be OK this was not the case with all tablets. also it allows users to use cheaper  tablets without GPS even the very inexpensive Kobo used by hang glider and paraglider pilots for their good operation in full sunlight using XC Soar.

It is not possible to use the tablet GPS. The PilotAware classic now comes complete with a usb GPS dongle and you can also buy a remote GPS on a lead that can be located on the coaming whilst the PiotAware unit is located elsewhere.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:19:35 pm »
As for selecting which GPS to use, some software allows for split operation, some don't. Sky Demon doesn't, you have to use the PAW GPS if you select "Use FLARM". Other software allows you to choose which options to use and when, some even having a priority so that if the PAW GPS drops out, it'll revert to the internal GPS. With Sky Demon you'd have to reselect "Go Flying -> Use Location Services" if the PAW connection drops.

tj80

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 01:12:32 pm »
Many thanks, both.  The fact that you can reselect "Location services" and it will use the built-in GPS instead of PAW at least gives a manual fallback.

Cheers,
Tim

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 01:40:17 pm »
Hi Tim,

Sounds complicated, but works much better in practice, hence the decision to discontinue support for the CollisionAware app.

Regards

Peter

p.s. Welcome back!

rg

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 11:11:36 pm »
Bit disappointed reading this. I wanted to keep using my Bluetooth GPS.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 09:49:22 am »
If you're an Apple user, have a look for an app called NMEA GPS. I think you can use that.

But except for positioning/wire purposes, there's not really any point in not using one of the VK-172/VK-162 GPS solutions.

rg

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 01:33:39 pm »
Oh phew.  I read withdrawing support as I'd have to use a USB dongle GPS.

Position and cables are a big deal. Plus. have spent much more £££ on a bluetooth thingy not so long ago I'd be loathed to bin it and us a much cheaper thingy
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:35:48 pm by rg »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 02:04:00 pm »
Plus. have spent much more £££ on a bluetooth thingy not so long ago I'd be loathed to bin it and us a much cheaper thingy

The thingies do pretty much the same job. The dongle GPS has GPS and GLONASS and also is has WAAS/EGNOS, so is every bit as accurate as the expensive bluetooth jobbies.

Admin

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 05:11:47 pm »
I have to say people had differing success using the BT devices.
It seemed to potentially overload the iPad handling traffic because it has the following

Bluetooth (NMEA) Dongle -> iPad
WiFi (NMEA) iPad -> PilotAware
WiFi (Traffic) PilotAware -> iPad

This was the main reason for putting the GPS support directly into PilotAware

Thx
Lee

homeuser

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 11:53:38 am »
@ Paul_Sengupta

I´d also be very interested in cotinuing to use the IPAD GPS instead of the PAW GPS. It´s simply better located. Do I understand you corectly that this will be possible using the NMEA GPS App? If so, what setting would I need to apply? Did not seem to work in my first attempt...

Thanks

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 12:53:40 pm »
Hi again homeuser,

Appreciate you want to still use the iPad GPS. Yes you can use the NMEA GPS app - sorry I don't know the settings, but I for one have certainly had much more reliability using a dedicated GPS on the PAW - I use a VK-162 GPS mouse as sold on the hardware site, keeping the iPad GPS as a fallback if the PAW ever fails or needs to be switched off for any reason. If you go for an internal app you are totally relying on its effectiveness - hence why Lee stopped using his own CollisionAware app in the first place.

Regards

Peter

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 10:15:00 am »
Sorry, I don't have an iPad and so don't know the settings. But bear in mind the internal iPad GPS isn't a WAAS/EGNOS GPS and will be less accurate, especially in altitude. The PAW uses the GPS altitude for its transmissions so being accurate in altitude is a definite plus.

rg

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 09:31:57 am »
Any plans to support pi 3 and have Bluetooth gps connect to pi direct?