Author Topic: Multiple Wifi Networks in the Cockpit  (Read 4992 times)

Winged_Jaguar

Multiple Wifi Networks in the Cockpit
« on: May 20, 2016, 05:23:27 pm »
Hi Lee,
I dropped a message to Admin on the topic of multiple wifi Networks appearing in the cockpit as a result of work I am doing with FASVIG. I suspect that you may not have picked it up. Would it be better if I posted the note here instead?
Cheers
Chris
ps. Looking forward to the release of the next batch of shields for PAW hoping I can get one.

gvpsj

Re: Multiple Wifi Networks in the Cockpit
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 06:46:10 pm »
I am still setting things up and have not fitted my PowerFlarm unit yet. I am very unsure mucking about with computers. I got PAW working yesterday (GREAT) but each time I get a power interrupt I have to reset the WiFi in my tablet settings and restart SkyDemon. I am assuming this is normal. When I fit my Powerlalrm it has another and different WiFi address (or whatever it is called). How can my Nexus 7 and SkyDemon 'read' two addresses at the same time to display the outputs from both PAW and PowerFlarm?

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 10:14:37 pm »
The tablet can only connect to one Wifi hotspot at a time.

One request I asked for on here, but I suspect it's a long way on the back burner, is to allow one of the PL2302 USB/serial cables to be used to connect to the RS232 output from a FLARM unit. The traffic received can then be combined with that of the PAW and outputted to the tablet...in effect the PAW becomes the "butterfly" for the FLARM unit as well as for its own traffic. This may work properly with the original FLARM units but if used with PowerFlarm you'd need some sort of switch or compare so that ADS-B traffic wasn't shown twice.

julianwebb

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 05:05:03 pm »
I am in the middle of installing a POWERFLARM. If PAW could be interfaced to FLARM then you would only need the PAW transmissions from other aircraft (POWEFLARM picks up AD-B) into FLARM. Not sure this will ever happen given the stance of FLARM. Shame we cant code and transmit in the same way as FLARM then we would be moving toward a standard system everyone could use maybe the CAA could force the issue or the gliding community?

Just on another fairly obvious point if the PAW user has ADS-B out (which is good!) the PAW transmissions should be disabled so that two planes don't show up on SD. I'm planning to have both systems available in the plane (both interfaced to SD via WiFi - but only one at a time of course) but as I mentioned in a previous post this set up needs the PAW transmission switched off (which I understand is possible) as I will have ADS-B out from the TRT800H and the position data from FLARM. Interesting to see which system performs the best PAW or FLARM.

Admin

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 05:43:57 pm »
I am still setting things up and have not fitted my PowerFlarm unit yet. I am very unsure mucking about with computers. I got PAW working yesterday (GREAT) but each time I get a power interrupt I have to reset the WiFi in my tablet settings and restart SkyDemon. I am assuming this is normal. When I fit my Powerlalrm it has another and different WiFi address (or whatever it is called). How can my Nexus 7 and SkyDemon 'read' two addresses at the same time to display the outputs from both PAW and PowerFlarm?

Hi
I did see this but we are pretty busy at the moment, as soon as we get some time I will have a good think on what it is you are trying to achieve.
Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 05:53:07 pm »
Hi Julian

Just on another fairly obvious point if the PAW user has ADS-B out (which is good!) the PAW transmissions should be disabled so that two planes don't show up on SD.

I am not sure where you got this information ?
It is perfectly OK to be transmitting continuously on P3I and ADS-B.
Two planes will not show up because the software keeps a single record based upon the ICAO identifier.
The same ICAO identifier is used in PilotAware as is used to configure your transponder, so the receiving PilotAware knows internally this is the same Aircraft, and only sends one traffic record to the navigation device.

I am wondering if you were confusing this with LPAT, in which case you are correct, LPAT cannot be setup to transmit in an Aircraft which is also Transmitting on a transponder Mode-A/C/S or ADS-B
Which is a bit of a system design flaw, if you have a Mode-A, Mode-AC or Mode-ACS transponder (which is the vast majority for GA), because it is forbidden to use your transponder whilst LPAT is transmitting, due to the ICAO conflict

I'm planning to have both systems available in the plane (both interfaced to SD via WiFi - but only one at a time of course) but as I mentioned in a previous post this set up needs the PAW transmission switched off (which I understand is possible) as I will have ADS-B out from the TRT800H and the position data from FLARM. Interesting to see which system performs the best PAW or FLARM.

As I mentioned, this is not an issue, it is perfectly OK to have PAW transmitting in conjunction with the ADS-B out to the transponder. So you can be sending your ADS-B and P3I data concurrently, or indeed if your existing transponder is Mode-A, Mode-AC or Mode-ACS (Without Extended Squitter, or the ability to configure the SIL/SDA bits for non-certified GPS Status)

In which case PilotAware is highly complimentary to the existing GA Fleet of transponder equipment.

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 06:01:02 pm by Admin »

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 08:21:00 pm »
Julian,

I fully support what Lee says above. I transmit Mode S and ADSB out (perfectly legal as they both come from the same device) and now Pilotaware P3i as well. I am just back from a test session this afternoon with a colleague who was transmitting Mode S and P3i and we were both only seeing the other as a single contact after Pilotaware does its magic filtering bit.

Regards

Peter

gvpsj

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 09:11:16 pm »
Being based at Enstone I am in a very high glider activity area (as well as Oxford, Brize and all the rest squeezing past congested airspace). I would like the gliders to be displayed on Sky Demon as well as all the good stuff from PAW. May this be possible into the future?

John