Author Topic: Software ver, licence, PI board, bridge  (Read 7135 times)

vfischer

Software ver, licence, PI board, bridge
« on: May 20, 2016, 04:22:44 pm »
Hi,

I enrolled in late 2015 and put together my own unit using a PI B+, DVB ant, wifi doggle, and usb doggle but without the ARF antenna step. It works and I see Mode S aircraft fine on my EasyVFR unit.

The licence I obtained at the time was a 12-char string to go with the then-current software. I have downloaded the current software and refreshed my licence which is now a 16-char licence to go with the new software. I've completed this upgrade and it also works fine. My licence expires 20170501.

I would now like to take the next step (myself, not ordering a new complete unit) to take advantage of the new software features, I understand that I need a PI 2B board as well as a bridge.

Since I didn't ever implement the original ARF due to the message late 2015 to stop that activity, what is the process to achieve this? Should I just order the bridge and new licence online? What is the expected lead time in this particular case? If I install the new PI 2B board before receiving the bridge, I assume that I'll need to request a new licence due to the MAC@ change. How can I do this? The licence refresh assumes the same MAC@ and doesn't provide an option to up date it.

Regards,
Vince

Admin

Re: Software ver, licence, PI board, bridge
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 04:37:43 pm »
Hi Vince

You can buy a Bridge + License from here
http://pilotawarehardware.com/

specifically here
http://pilotawarehardware.com/product/pilotawarebridge/

These are awaiting stock, but should be in a week or so I think.

Thx
Lee

vfischer

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 05:54:46 pm »
Hi Lee,

Can you add Switzerland to the list of countries for shop registration? At the moment, I can't complete address entry.

I also can't add the bridge to my shopping cart or place an order now. Will that only be possible once they are in stock (i.e. I need to keep checking and then order)?

Regards,
Vince

DaveStyles

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 07:45:37 pm »
Switzerland should be added now.

We expect to have Bridges with Licenses included for home builders available w/c 30/5
(Note, you will need to home build on a Pi2B to access all the features of the new software.)

flying_john

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 06:55:31 pm »
I think I am in the same  boat as the OP. I have now bought a Pi2B to get the audio and mode S bit, but because I have a new Pi then the MAC is different and the auto licenc e for beta testers assumes the same MAC address.

May I have a fresh key for my Pi2B please, or am I going to get caught for a payment despite being a beta tester and (hopefully) a useful one !

(have emailed too).

John

Richard

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 07:06:17 pm »
I,m in the same situation as you a very early beta tester, but as soon as the team get the replacement Bridges sorted I will gladly pay for a licence just to say thank you for a great product. Whats the problem with £15 if it saves your life. It would be the best £15 you ever spent.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:50:06 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

flying_john

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 07:13:52 pm »
I am not disputing its a great product....

But it was with considerable assistance from the flying community. Imagine the cost saving compared to traditional testing of  electronic products. I think it is a small price to pay for my and other input to the whole thing to get  the complimentary licence until the 1st May next year, with or without a new Pi, as promised to us all.

John
Little bit annoyed !

Ian Melville

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 07:15:45 am »
I have posted a few times trying to make this point politely, as have others. So far ther has been no response from the team.
To my mind beta testers that ignored the recommended hardware, or miss-read the list and brought Pi2b are being rewarded with extra features. Those that did as we were asked will have to did up an extra £15. Fair? The license is a no cost item to the project, so it is no hardship to ship out a free licence to beta testers if they buy a Pi2b through the PAW shop?

I have been asked a few times to demonstrate the capability of PAW, and to do so now is going to cost me. I don't mind the cost of the Pi as the old unit will be used for an unrelated project.

Will I throw my toys out the Priam over this, no. The value of PAW far exceeds the cost of a short flight, but it would be a nice gesture from the team?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:19:45 am by Ian Melville »

flying_john

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 08:44:35 am »
Yes - I think you are right Ian, it would be a nice gesture, since I suspect there will be further snags to iron out and development to continue with the support of those who have given freely of their time to help the project along. It leaves a bad taste now that I can choose to continue with my Pi B offering no further input, or utilise the Pi 2 and gladly give further feedback, especially for the enhanced features.

It does, as you say, seem odd that those that chose the Pi 2 towards the end of testing are to be allowed to continue with a complimentary licence until next year, whereas those of us in at an earlier stage are penalised.

C'est La Vie.

John
Still dissapointed.

AlanG

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 09:47:14 am »
Mmmmm, Daddy or Chips?

£15 for a licence for the Daddy of all current conspicuity devices or £1700.00 for Xponder + £2500 for gps, both full of chips, that only see themselves?

I'm still testing, I've bought a Pi2 and I'm still happy to pay £15 for a licence.  I think they've earned it.

Alan
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:17:00 pm by AlanG »

flying_john

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 03:49:55 pm »
And for those who have already made the investment in the Chips - (both GPS and Txpdr) what then. I think some of us who were quite well equipped already were trying to help those less well equipped (SSDR, Flexwings etc), see what was going to hit them !

Its not about the money, its the principle and I think those that helped saw it as swings and roundabouts - but now we are treated the same as those who have just joined and paid their money for the finished article - and to hell with the rest of us. Its not a good development strategy !

Ian Melville

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 04:15:14 pm »
...  I think they've earned it.

Alan

They have indeed, so have the beta testers.

trapdoor

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 05:30:10 pm »
Hmmm, I 'invested' in 2 RPi's, several different GPS's, 2 ARF's, various methods of interfacing the ARF's, many different sorts of antennae, baro modules and a fair bit of time and some flying hours ... In beta testing.

I missed the boat on the initial release even though as soon as I received the email saying the product was on the store I logged on only to find all had sold out.

I bought a full price forward order and am still awaiting delivery.

Now, whilst I COULD send in my old ARF's to get a rebate, and I COULD as a beta tester get a free license, I decided that the project was worth paying the full amount for, so I haven't.

My only gripe is this. I feel those beta testers who put a fair amount of time and investment (parts, airborne time etc) in should have been given the chance to get a 'pre-release' kit in a similar way to Kickstarter projects before general release. It IS a bit galling that clearly people who have done no 'work' for the project (i.e. clearly, by reading the 'help me out' posts) have their kits whilst some of us who were involved early on are still waiting. The first tranche should have gone out to those of us who helped get the project going.

I can only hope that the production PAW does what it is supposed to, after being one of those testers who did a fair bit with the ARF and finding it hugely lacking, certainly in the type of all metal aircraft I own.