Author Topic: Enhancement Requests  (Read 237685 times)

Kevin W

Re: Enhancement Requests
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2015, 07:21:36 pm »
Hi

Having just built and tested my second unit - I realise that having the ICAO set at a default of 000000, and the code filtering out duplicate ICAO codes is probably a bad thing - by default the unit filters out another unit set at 000000 :)

Once I twigged and set it to the MAC address as a random number, all was good!  Maybe don't filter out 000000?

Cheers
Kev

Admin

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2015, 07:44:08 pm »
Hi
Having just built and tested my second unit - I realise that having the ICAO set at a default of 000000, and the code filtering out duplicate ICAO codes is probably a bad thing - by default the unit filters out another unit set at 000000 :)
Once I twigged and set it to the MAC address as a random number, all was good!  Maybe don't filter out 000000?
Cheers
Kev

Hi Kev
This is actually a bug.
Firstly i am deleting these feature from collisionaware and it is moving into the web interface
If the ICAO is 000000 it is supposed to use the mac address of the dongle, in fact I think I may simply make it an XOR of the upper 6 and lower 6 bytes to create the 6 byte code.
There is a special field in the packet to indicate it is autogenerated

That should fix your issue, hoping to get a release out in next couple of days with other enhancements as well, details to follow

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:45:52 pm by Admin »

trapdoor

Slight bug-ette in CollisionAware app on iPhone?
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2015, 08:17:07 pm »
Just tried to run the CollisionAware app on the iPhone and change the ICAO code and realised that there is no way to get shot of the soft keyboard or scroll down to click on update.

Is this known about or a work-around?

Admin

Re: Slight bug-ette in CollisionAware app on iPhone?
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2015, 08:57:52 pm »
Just tried to run the CollisionAware app on the iPhone and change the ICAO code and realised that there is no way to get shot of the soft keyboard or scroll down to click on update.

Is this known about or a work-around?

Oh that is a pain.
I use an iphone 6 plus, I presume you are on a smaller screen.

I mentioned on another thread I am close to releasing a new version which uses the web interface to do this instead of the ios app, are you up for trying some prerelease software to get around this ?

Thlre

stephenmelody

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2015, 09:34:26 pm »
I'm always up for pre-release / beta software...

SteveN

GPS Dongle
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2015, 11:39:20 pm »
Any more thoughts about a GPS dongle instead of relying on the Tablet's GPS.

GPSD (GPS Daemon) runs the GPS on millions of Androids out there.

http://catb.org/gpsd/

It builds fine on a Pi as I have tried it on Raspian by simply following this script:

http://blog.retep.org/2012/06/18/getting-gps-to-work-on-a-raspberry-pi

Negligible CPU overhead on a Pi B+. Its beauty is it handles most dongles automatically.

PilotAware would then still report position even if a tablet was not in the aircraft.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:49:33 pm by SteveN »

stephenmelody

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2015, 12:55:44 am »
Considered doing anything with a screen? this is pretty affordable as a component...

http://thepihut.com/collections/new-products/products/official-raspberry-pi-7-touchscreen-display

considering one, just to see the console output as the device connects.

Admin

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2015, 10:04:11 am »
Gps is work in progress.
Parser is done, just need to put something into the OS to statically
identify the USB ports, all RS232 devices appear the same so need
a method to indicate the type of device

Thx
Lee

bendavis

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2015, 08:30:49 am »
A couple of thoughts spring to mind now I've got the device up and running, sorry if someone else has already mentioned these, I couldn't see anything about the data side of things....

1.  is poss to integrate a USB GPS dongle saving the wifi connection to the device? and if not..
2.  could it connect to the device over Bluetooth instead ?

Reason for asking is my iPad has a data sim installed and as I fly along it updates SkyDemon's data, weather, metars etc,(handy on those long flights) but obviously once the iPad is connected to a wifi network all data from the sim stops as it assumes it has internet access from wifi.

I'm not clever enough to come up with the solutions... just asking the questions  ;)

Ben
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 08:43:35 am by bendavis »

onkelmuetze

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2015, 06:09:39 am »
Considered doing anything with a screen? this is pretty affordable as a component...

http://thepihut.com/collections/new-products/products/official-raspberry-pi-7-touchscreen-display

considering one, just to see the console output as the device connects.

Might be a cool idea for a standalone box, w/o tablet. Just to draw your plane in center and then 1 mile-circles around it to display other aircrafts positions in.

Admin

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2015, 05:10:43 pm »
Might be a cool idea for a standalone box, w/o tablet. Just to draw your plane in center and then 1 mile-circles around it to display other aircrafts positions in.

so funny, here is version 1 of PilotAware from two years ago running on a WindowsCE device

Admin

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2015, 05:14:04 pm »
Hi Ben,
1.  is poss to integrate a USB GPS dongle saving the wifi connection to the device? and if not..
Yes and this is working with a glonass/gps Ublox 7 gps

2.  could it connect to the device over Bluetooth instead ?
No, the RPi does not have bluetooth

Reason for asking is my iPad has a data sim installed and as I fly along it updates SkyDemon's data, weather, metars etc,(handy on those long flights) but obviously once the iPad is connected to a wifi network all data from the sim stops as it assumes it has internet access from wifi.
This broke because of the requirement to support TCP broadcasts, I think I am going to get rid of this and switch back to TCP and UDP point to point. This should allow using the 3G network when connected to PilotAware

Thx
Lee

onkelmuetze

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2015, 07:21:03 am »

so funny, here is version 1 of PilotAware from two years ago running on a WindowsCE device

haha, cool! It would be perfect like it is on your picture, displaying on one of those 2,5...3,5" Pi-Displays available for less than 30€! Question is, if the display uses the I/Os we need for the ARF?

Admin

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2015, 11:38:34 am »
I have added lots of extra information into the web browser so that people will be able to feedback detailed information on their configuration, please see snapshot below, I hope to get this released over the weekend
Thx
Lee

brinzlee

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2015, 10:44:28 pm »
Lee
Think the latest release is a marked improvement yet again on reliability with the addition of the rewritten collision aware app too
Wondered if you would consider writing on the web interface the output from the barometric sensor if included, as a value, just so that we can confirm the QNH is something that it's supposed to be.
Keep up the great work
Brinsley