Author Topic: Enhancement Requests  (Read 241022 times)

Admin

Re: Enhancement Requests
« Reply #255 on: June 28, 2016, 04:08:25 pm »
Audio volume.  Will there be an update soon to make the audio volume stay at the required level after a re set ?  Only asking to prevent me installing the little £3 audio board from e bay if I do not need it.

I will make my best endeavours to get this in the next release  :)
Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #256 on: June 28, 2016, 04:44:26 pm »
Cheers!

did you see my response on flyer forum ?

I have now, thanks.

Shortwing

« Reply #257 on: June 30, 2016, 11:21:45 am »
In one of the very early releases there was a map showing traffic within the admin panel 192.168.1.1 - does this still exist?  I've lost the link if it does.

Richard

« Reply #258 on: June 30, 2016, 12:06:17 pm »
Shortwing
    You are correct the traffic is under "traffic" when you log into 192.168.1.1 if you can not see it. What version are you using?
Richard.
Europa XS

homeuser

Update Option
« Reply #259 on: July 02, 2016, 07:56:39 pm »
It would be great to be able to update the software over WLAN/WiFi. I have a Semi-fixed installation on our Mooney and there it is very hard at the hangar to make internet available over Ethernet. Easily available is a WiFi Hotspot via a mobile phone...

But I understand there is no such way (yet?)

Thanks!

homeuser

« Reply #260 on: July 02, 2016, 08:05:22 pm »
Another Alternative would be to use the remaining USB Port to temporarely put a USB-Stick with the new release in...

Then we could easily download at home, take the new release to the airport and just let it update...

Anything taking the situation at a hangar into account would help much!

JCurtis

« Reply #261 on: July 02, 2016, 08:10:08 pm »
Another Alternative would be to use the remaining USB Port to temporarely put a USB-Stick with the new release in...

Then we could easily download at home, take the new release to the airport and just let it update...

Anything taking the situation at a hangar into account would help much!

IMHO this is probably the most universal method.  If it could be combined with the ability to download the track/log files to the USB stick too then the likes of a iPad is all you need to do everything in/near the aircraft via the web interface on PilotAware.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

exfirepro

Re: Update Option
« Reply #262 on: July 02, 2016, 11:34:35 pm »
It would be great to be able to update the software over WLAN/WiFi. I have a Semi-fixed installation on our Mooney and there it is very hard at the hangar to make internet available over Ethernet. Easily available is a WiFi Hotspot via a mobile phone...

But I understand there is no such way (yet?)

Thanks!

Hi homeuser,

I fully sympathise as I also have my main unit semi-fitted in my flexwing, but unfortunately Lee has previously advised that this is not possible as the PAW wifi is configured as a server and in order to connect to download from another server it would need to act as a client. See this link:

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,4.msg4621.html#msg4621

Richard and I, however worked out a method using a 'spare' PAW or simply a spare raspberry pi - most of us now have spare PiB+'s from the early Beta trials - as a surrogate to allow you to take the card from your fitted PAW home or to a point where you can connect to your club router via ethernet and update your main cards's software via the surrogate. Any spare Pi will work for this - it does not need a bridge, GPS or whatever fitted, though a wifi dongle helps you to check that the download to the card has been successful.

See this link:

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,465.msg5924.html#msg5924

...and the following reply number 18 for how to do this.

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 09:24:38 am by exfirepro »

homeuser

« Reply #263 on: July 03, 2016, 11:21:56 am »
Peter,

thanks for this! Not a bad idea - I guess I could also work with two SD Cards, right? The airfield is about an hour drive and at the airfield is no option to really run the second Pi. Furthermore will I not have an issue since the other Pi will habe a different MAC address?

I´d still prefer the USB-Stick method since it saves me getting another Pi and I could still change the USB-Stick by simply taking a notebook to the airfield...

homeuser

exfirepro

« Reply #264 on: July 03, 2016, 11:32:35 am »
Morning homeuser,

Yes, I totally see where you are coming from. I'm sure Lee will come on and let us know whether / why not this is feasible in due course. Just wanted to let you know the alternative, which we know does work.

Yes you can use two cards, but you need to do a 'full overwrite with size adjustment on' SDFormat as per page 34 of the Pilotaware Operating Manual here http://www.pilotawarehardware.com/dl/PAWOperationManual.pdf the first time you use a new card.

The great benefit of the auto-update is that once each card has your Mac and license details on it, they stay there and you don't need to spend ages re-formatting cards and re-entering details each time like we used to. Definitely a big step forward.

Happy and safe flying

Regards

Peter

roweda

« Reply #265 on: July 04, 2016, 09:35:00 pm »
Would it be possible to have an option to change the format of the distance on the Traffic screen? It currently defaults to KM when everywhere else the majority of us talk in nautical miles. An option for: nm, statute miles and km would be a nice additional feature.

Dave

Vic

« Reply #266 on: July 11, 2016, 09:52:09 am »
Just a thought to throw the idea into the mixer..

Making use of the Infrared receiver on the SDR dongle. ..volume changes or anything else?

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/making-use-of-the-infrared-led-on-rtl-sdr-dongles/

My SDR dongle came with a small credit card IR remote..

homeuser

« Reply #267 on: July 21, 2016, 03:26:50 pm »
Coming back to the update aspect, one additional thought (I still did not manage to download the new release due to poor network coverage at the airport :-[ and I do not want to take the PAW out frequently neither do I have a second Pi):

Assuming that the download and update process works in a way that the update-procedure first downloads the update file into a specific folder in the filesystem and that afterwards the software checks whether there is a file and if so starts the update, wouldn't it be possible to manually put the file into that folder and then click "update"?

Downloading at home, taking a notebook to the airport, putting the file into the respective folder using the notebook and then let the PAW do the update would work well for me...

Should that work, could you please indicate which folder in the filesystem to use?

Admin

« Reply #268 on: July 21, 2016, 04:08:39 pm »
Unfortunately you cannot see that filesystem unless you mounted the disk in another linux system.
If you simply inserted the disk into your laptop - you only see the first partition I think

However, there may be a way to leave some space on the first partition and copy it out, once
the system is up and running.

This does not fit the general case because some people are requesting NOT to have to remove the MicroSD Card

homeuser

« Reply #269 on: July 21, 2016, 04:32:57 pm »
I understand this and I would also like the USB-Stick option discussed above better but as long as this is not realized, I´m searching for alternative approaches...

Accessing the Linux Filesystem on the Notebook should not be an issue with Ext3/Ext4 drivers for windows or am I missing something? I do access Linux Filesystems (such as Enigma) that way...

The question is would the WebIF even continue to the point where it checks whether there is an update file in the destination directory without having detected internet-access before?