Author Topic: Enhancement Requests  (Read 237666 times)

Paul_Sengupta

Re: Enhancement Requests
« Reply #240 on: June 10, 2016, 12:54:32 pm »
It's for information, to see how many P3i aircraft there are for instance, and as a quick tally for ADS-B/Mode S. Not a change, an add. I don't know if there is a current count of aircraft within the software - if there is, it should be very easy to display it. It wouldn't be used while trying to fly/maintain separation, it's an information field, like the other information fields on the homepage.

exfirepro

« Reply #241 on: June 10, 2016, 01:35:32 pm »
Thanks Paul,

I see what you are trying to do. I knew it would be important - just wondered how! I certainly wouldn't want to 'lose' the raw counts as they confirm that all is OK (or otherwise) even if the 'aircraft' never make it to the 'Nav' screen.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #242 on: June 10, 2016, 01:43:39 pm »
Actuall there is already a count, which is on the traffic page, but it is a total count of

ADS-B
P3I
MODE-S

The Count is at the top in HEX(<count>)

Are you saying you want a breakdown ?

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #243 on: June 10, 2016, 02:13:36 pm »
Yeah, just displayed next to the other information in the ADS-B or TRX fields on the home page would be nice. As long as it's an easy job!  :)

gilest

Re: Enhancement Requests - FR24
« Reply #244 on: June 10, 2016, 04:16:47 pm »
Hi Lee

Just a thought. FR24 displays FLARM and it also displays triangulated (MLAT) locations for mode S transmitting aircraft (above about 2500ft). Has anyone spoken to FR24 to see if you could somehow receive their stream while airborne to display FLARM and Mode S positions? And maybe they might be interested in including an P3I receiver in their devices to display PAW equipped aircraft - a kind of quid pro quo for using their stream?

As I say probably a dead end and not feasible - but a thought.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:37:50 pm by gilest »

exfirepro

Re: Enhancement Requests - FR24
« Reply #245 on: June 10, 2016, 06:05:33 pm »
Hi Lee

Just a thought. FR24 displays FLARM and it also displays triangulated (MLAT) locations for mode S transmitting aircraft (above about 2500ft). Has anyone spoken to FR24 to see if you could somehow receive their stream while airborne to display FLARM and Mode S positions? And maybe they might be interested in including an P3I receiver in their devices to display PAW equipped aircraft - a kind of quid pro quo for using their stream?

As I say probably a dead end and not feasible - but a thought.

Giles,

AFAIK FR24 get their FLARM feed from the OGN (Open Glider Network), which like FR24 comprises a network of FLARM receiving stations across the country, all feeding data in to OGN / FR24's servers - which then process all this information and disseminate it back out over the internet as the FR24 /OGN displays we know and love (did I say that!). It is this multiplicity of receiving stations that allows them to 'estimate' the position of Mode S aircraft through MLAT. As I have already stated elsewhere today, this all means that the information is not LIVE due to the inevitable processing and transmission delays. It is also, certainly in the case of Mode S, not ACCURATE - I can vouch for this having seen several Mode S equipped airliners land safely at Edinburgh and not in the car park almost a mile away where I was parked and where FR24 showed them landing. So I certainly wouldn't trust it for collision avoidance or Pilot Awareness.

Let's not even start talking about trying to receive FR24 in flight when your tablet is already connected to your PAW.

Nice thought, but as you say not really practicable. Keep the ideas coming though.

Regards

Peter

SteveN

« Reply #246 on: June 13, 2016, 05:15:42 pm »
A little update on the OGN -> FR24 feed. People may have noticed there are recently a lot less gliders and other FLARM traffic showing. What happened is FLARM effectively forced OGN to adopt an opt in process for display on OGN/FR24.   SO unless you are aware of the OGN process your FLARM will not be displayed. The FLARM argument was privacy. The fact that there is no opt in or out process for ADS-B doesn't seem to have deterred them.

exfirepro

« Reply #247 on: June 13, 2016, 09:51:51 pm »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the update. Knew it was something along those lines but couldn't remember the detail.

I am perfectly happy to use FR24/OGN to track down unidentified contacts on the ground, but certainly not something I would want to rely on for in-flight awareness.

Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

Re: Enhancement Requests - Alerts selectable units
« Reply #248 on: June 16, 2016, 06:45:13 pm »
Could we have selectable miles/km please

Admin

Re: Enhancement Requests - Alerts selectable units
« Reply #249 on: June 16, 2016, 07:03:40 pm »
Could we have selectable miles/km please

Are you referring to the Audio Alerts, or units in the traffic table ?
Also statute or nautical ?

And if we were to change to the different units, would you want the range warnings rounded up ?

For example the range warnings in km are
3, 5, 10

so in NM that would probably be
2, 3, 6

thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #250 on: June 16, 2016, 08:19:48 pm »
Hi Lee, Audio Alerts. For nautical miles, as used in UK aviation.

I guess rounding down would be safest, but up/down nearest mile most accurate?

Cheers
Ian

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #251 on: June 26, 2016, 10:58:24 pm »
I have an enhancement request. A friend has just said that with a couple of aircraft at the same level (Mode S), they were showing 200ft below.

I suggested that this may be due to the static pressure in the cockpit being lower than that outside. I suggested that he request here, but I'm doing it for him, that you perhaps have a setting on the web page to introduce an offset to compensate for this. I know this issue was mentioned on the forum when the barometric sensor was first experimented with, but I don't think it's come up since.

Am I right in thinking that PAW to Mode S is done on Baro, but PAW to PAW is done on GPS altitude? Or are they both done on Baro?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:02:36 pm by Paul_Sengupta »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #252 on: June 28, 2016, 03:10:49 pm »
The other thing which can be done is to read your own altitude from your own transponder over the air.

If this offset is being coded in, perhaps the offset could be greyed out with a tickbox which says, "Read own Mode S transponder".

Could be awkward if your transponder isn't transmitting (ground?) though...

Admin

« Reply #253 on: June 28, 2016, 03:30:50 pm »
Am I right in thinking that PAW to Mode S is done on Baro, but PAW to PAW is done on GPS altitude? Or are they both done on Baro?

Hi Paul
Almost, ADS-B and Mode-S are compared using the Baro, and PAW to PAW using GPS
did you see my response on flyer forum ?

Thx
Lee

dougblair

« Reply #254 on: June 28, 2016, 03:51:39 pm »
Audio volume.  Will there be an update soon to make the audio volume stay at the required level after a re set ?  Only asking to prevent me installing the little £3 audio board from e bay if I do not need it.