Author Topic: Enhancement Requests  (Read 237607 times)

exfirepro

Re: Enhancement Requests
« Reply #225 on: June 08, 2016, 08:36:58 am »
I'd like to be able to filter out audio warnings for traffic greater than a certain distance away. Hearing 'Traffic noticed' every time an airliner gets airborne 75 miles away is a bit pointless, frankly.

Graham,

Because Mode S (as with all transponders) provides no positional information we can't filter by distance. Instead we have provided filters in (Configure) (Mode S Detect) to allow you to filter high power CAT signals by setting a shorter detection range. Unfortunately this means that lower powered (GA) ones get closer in before you know about them, so we had to do a fair bit of juggling to get the trigger levels correct (and fine tuning of these will remain ongoing).

The first thing you need to do is make sure you are running software version (21060530), which contains the most up to date trigger settings - earlier releases had much coarser filters. Personally as I often fly very close to Edinburgh Airport, I use the 'Short Range'  filter, but set to Medium Range if I am flying cross country, but this will depend on your own circumstances.

BTW Mode S Ground Mode and Standby are not the same thing, AFAIUI.  Standby means your transponder effectively is switched off, but powered up. Ground Mode means it still responds, but with a flag set (I think).

Correct, but during testing we realised that CAT traffic on the ground (so presumably in Ground Mode) transmits very strong Mode S responses to the airport ground radar, which were reporting as 'Traffic Danger' alerts at up to 2 miles - hence the 'Ultra Short Range' setting, if you normally get that close and CAT is your main risk.

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:09:49 pm by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #226 on: June 08, 2016, 09:49:34 am »
Hi Graham,

Just to follow up on Peters posting ....

Firstly I need to invent some terminology here, so here goes, we have two types of air traffic:-

precise traffic
Traffic which includes full location details in addition to information regarding speed, track and identification.
This would consist of ADS-B & P3I traffic returns

imprecise traffic
Traffic which includes partial or missing location details consists of Mode-A, Mode-C and Mode-S transponder returns. To be even more detailed, we have no accurate method of distinguishing between a Mode-A and Mode-C return, because to the passive receiver, they appear exactly the same, but their encoded meaning is significantly different, namely squawk or altitude.
(for more information try googling Transponder FRUIT)

For precise traffic, we have everything we need in order to accurately and definitively provide audio and visual prompts to the user, and we can control when those audio prompts occur. For example the audio alerts occur by intrusion into 3 zones
10KM +/-2000ft
5KM +/-1000ft
3KM +/- 500ft

So as you can see, there are no precise traffic warnings for traffic at 75 miles  :o

For impreceise traffic warnings, this is more art than science, and this is something Peter and Alan have been experimenting and advising to come up with the most suitable settings (as detailed in his previous posting)

The settings for imprecise traffic warnings are under user control, so please take advantage of these settings including the sensitivity and the separation parameters, for example the 30,000ft separation is only useful for testing purposes, a more realistic setting I would say is 1000 ft

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:09:06 am by Admin »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #227 on: June 08, 2016, 04:07:15 pm »
One enhancement request which has been mentioned is to be able to use a bluetooth dongle in one of the USB ports for audio out. Any chance?

Admin

« Reply #228 on: June 08, 2016, 04:14:57 pm »
One enhancement request which has been mentioned is to be able to use a bluetooth dongle in one of the USB ports for audio out. Any chance?

I did look into this when implementing the audio, and unfortunately it did not 'drop out in the wash', so would need a serious amount of investigation.

Thx
Lee

grahambaker

« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2016, 04:43:10 pm »
For precise traffic, we have everything we need in order to accurately and definitively provide audio and visual prompts to the user, and we can control when those audio prompts occur. For example the audio alerts occur by intrusion into 3 zones
10KM +/-2000ft
5KM +/-1000ft
3KM +/- 500ft

So as you can see, there are no precise traffic warnings for traffic at 75 miles  :o
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the clarification; I'll need to check my configuration again, (box at home, I'm 200 miles away until the weekend)  but I'm pretty sure I had the filters closed right down, and yet naggy Nora was still chirruping at me!

Keithvinning

« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2016, 06:52:26 pm »
Oops
Definitely not naggy Nora but lovely Demi-Lee

Keith
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:07:02 pm by Admin »

exfirepro

« Reply #231 on: June 08, 2016, 10:13:18 pm »
Lee's daughter, Graham!!!!

Guess that's you off the Christmas Card List  :-[

Peter

Admin

« Reply #232 on: June 08, 2016, 10:50:17 pm »
Hey Graham, she will be working the stand at the LAA Rally, if you swing by, you might not want to use your real name ;D

Thx
Lee

grahambaker

« Reply #233 on: June 09, 2016, 01:02:50 pm »
Whoops.  :-[ :)

gvpsj

« Reply #234 on: June 09, 2016, 04:34:23 pm »
It is so nice to have such a pleasant voice talking to ME whilst I fiddle and work away in the hanger ;-)))

exfirepro

« Reply #235 on: June 09, 2016, 04:54:56 pm »
It is so nice to have such a pleasant voice talking to ME whilst I fiddle and work away in the hanger ;-)))

John, what a Crawler!! ;D

It's Graham that needs to do that  :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:42:53 am by exfirepro »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #236 on: June 10, 2016, 08:54:42 am »
How easy would it be on the home page (192.168.1.1/index.cgi) to include, under both ADS-B and TRX, the total current number of each received?

Admin

« Reply #237 on: June 10, 2016, 10:56:15 am »
How easy would it be on the home page (192.168.1.1/index.cgi) to include, under both ADS-B and TRX, the total current number of each received?

Hi Paul,

this is done already, the format is
    ADS-B (DVB-T)    Connected Msgs=N_total(+N_inc)

N_total : total received ADS-B messages
N_inc : messages received in last 5 seconds

TRX (RXTX)    Connected TX=TX_total RX=RX_total CRCFAIL=0

TX_total : total transmitted P3I messages
RX_total : total received P3I messages

Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #238 on: June 10, 2016, 11:58:36 am »
Oh, sorry, I didn't word it very well, I meant the current number of aircraft visible in each field!

exfirepro

« Reply #239 on: June 10, 2016, 12:37:27 pm »
Oh, sorry, I didn't word it very well, I meant the current number of aircraft visible in each field!

Paul,

Are you not going a bit deep here. Bearing in mind we should be looking at the Nav Display when flying, the current Home Page to my mind provides exactly the information required to confirm that your PAW is operating properly, so what is it you are trying to achieve? Presumably changing to numbers of aircraft rather than simply numbers of received transmissions will involve a fair bit of work for Lee and I can't see what significant gain we would get from this. Your request for the GPS info on the other thread however, I can fully appreciate.

Not being negative, just confused.

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:55:10 pm by exfirepro »