Author Topic: Enhancement Requests  (Read 237651 times)

Admin

Re: Enhancement Requests
« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2016, 04:29:23 pm »
Sound alerts are fantastic, I really like it.. Just one thing, at a busy airfield on taxi and takeoff it can be very distracting as you are been warned about traffic in patients around the airfield. Would is be possible to select traffic below, say, 1200feet and you already have above traffic already selectable

Thank you

Edit...... May be to filter out traffic below 500 ft would be better!!

Hi Richard,
I am not sure what you are asking here ?

Firstly are you referring to the ADS-B or Mode-S alerts ?
(ADS-B will give Direction and Range, Mode-S simply a 'Warning, Traffic')

for Mode-S you can filter in the configuration screen for +/- 500, 1000, 2000, 30000 ft vertical

for ADS-B there are 3 Zones comprised of
+/- 500ft (vertical), 3km (horizontal)
+/- 1000ft (vertical), 5km (horizontal)
+/- 2000ft (vertical), 10km (horizontal)

You are only given an alert as each zone is entered.
So are you asking for more control over the sizes of the zones ?

Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #181 on: May 23, 2016, 05:28:25 pm »
I think Richard's asking that if you're on the ground, would it be possible to have a switch to filter out other ground traffic otherwise you'll continuously be getting alerts from other ground traffic as you taxi and take off.

Probably likewise as you approach the airport for a landing.

As suggested, this could be filtering out traffic below a certain altitude (though 500ft MSL wouldn't work at many airfields, and you couldn't do AGL without having a comprehensive database of airfields and their elevation) or perhaps below a certain altitude and below a certain ground speed? But this would perhaps filter out helicopters, and you'd need to keep a table of position reports of all traffic to be able to work out their speed.

Richard

« Reply #182 on: May 23, 2016, 05:41:31 pm »
Hi Lee,
    OK, As I Taxi out as Sherburn yesterday, there is 3 aircraft in 1000 ft circuit, and 4 taxing, two in and two out, An estimation, 3 of these aircraft are mode S (Club Aircraft all are at Sherburn) there was one in the Circuit ADSB, I could see him. :P

While I'm taxing out the Pilotaware is going crazy with voice alerts (I'm not complaining as it doing what is should) It is just very distracting on takeoff, I just wanted to know if it could be tweaked a little. Maybe only starts providing info when airborne or filter out traffic on the ground or in circuit at a set altitude. This my be difficult to imply correctly.

If flying in to the LAA Rally the voice alerts will go crazy and I would probably turn PAW off, something I do not want to do.

This is only a suggestion

Thanks for your help.
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2016, 06:10:03 pm »
Hi Lee/Richard,

As you say, Lee, this is not generally an issue with ADS-B as the alerts only occur as each aircraft breaks each 'puck' boundary on the way in. This can however certainly be an issue with Mode S alerts, which tend to 'repeat' as the signal from each aircraft drops below and then returns above each alert threshold (as can happen in a large GA circuit, especially from an aircraft on the ground).

Hopefully the proposed revisions to the Mode S trigger levels will help. I will also give some thought to how we might filter or reduce alerts from aircraft on the ground, though this will not be easy. I certainly wouldn't want to filter out aircraft in the circuit, bearing in mind that's where the majority of accidents occur.

I will give this some more thought.

Regards

Peter R
Mode S Tester

Supplementary:-
We might be able to use the proposed Ultra Short Range setting as a Ground Filter for GA Airfields, though this would mean resetting after takeoff in [Config] before continuing en-route which might be too much of a fiddle. I will try this during our next test session and report back.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 06:15:27 pm by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2016, 06:19:36 pm »
Block ground vehicles please!

I think I have this solved - but difficult to test.
I am now testing for an 'absent' Altitude setting, and excluding this from the list of possible threats.
It will still appear in the traffic table, but will not be dispatched to the Navigation Device, or produce an
audible warning.

Will be available in the next release.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 06:22:53 pm by Admin »

exfirepro

« Reply #185 on: May 23, 2016, 06:48:30 pm »
Lee / PeteD,

Just out of interest, what 'type' of signal do these ground vehicles transmit?

(Sorry Guys, Just read back the thread and sussed out that bit)

I wondered if a similar filter would work for Richards's ground (aircraft) Mode S traffic, but at my own field for example, Mode S or ADS-B aircraft can show on the traffic screen with a relative altitude of from -75 to +75 feet depending on where we each are on the field. Other airfields will of course differ. Taking  GPS altitude variation into account, you would probably have to set a filter at something like +/- 100 feet to filter these out without reducing the effectiveness of the unit for detecting circuit traffic. Anything already within that band is probably already too close for PAW to be of much help!

Peter R
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:06:46 pm by exfirepro »

Richard

« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2016, 06:54:01 pm »
Block ground vehicles please!

I think I have this solved - but difficult to test.
I am now testing for an 'absent' Altitude setting, and excluding this from the list of possible threats.
It will still appear in the traffic table, but will not be dispatched to the Navigation Device, or produce an
audible warning.

Will be available in the next release.

Hooo!!! My word your good

I will test when it's avalble

Thank you Lee
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2016, 07:03:09 pm »
Lee / PeteD,

Just out of interest, what 'type' of signal do these ground vehicles transmit?

I wondered if a similar filter would work for Richards's ground (aircraft) Mode S traffic, but at my own field for example, Mode S or ADS-B aircraft can show on the traffic screen with a relative altitude of from -75 to +75 feet depending on where we each are on the field. Other airfields will of course differ. Taking  GPS altitude variation into account, you would probably have to set a filter at something like +/- 100 feet to filter these out without reducing the effectiveness of the unit for detecting circuit traffic. Anything already within that band is probably already too close for PAW to be of much help!

Peter R

Hi Peter,
In the case of the ground vehicles Pete was reporting, the Altitude is reported as UNKNOWN, so in the traffic table it is shown as '-'.
but in the comparison routine the variable contained a zero (0), so I just needed to test whether the value is valid or not.

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2016, 07:12:24 pm »
Richard,

There has been a bit of cross-posting. The vehicles PeteD had asked Lee to block are airfield ground vehicles not aircraft (see Lee's explanation above). No doubt he will advise in due course of the feasibility of my suggestion to filter aircraft within say +/- 100ft of your own to reduce the ground alert clutter. Hopefully should be feasible.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:21:40 pm by exfirepro »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #189 on: May 23, 2016, 08:41:11 pm »
For taxying it would be easy, just don't give audio alerts if your ground speed is (say) under 20 knots. There could be a switch for this depending on if you wanted it or not. Wouldn't help for take off or landing though.

exfirepro

« Reply #190 on: May 23, 2016, 08:50:50 pm »
Hi Paul,

Could work, but some flexwings don't fly much faster than that (LOL) ;D

Joking apart, using an altitude filter of +/- 100 ft could minimise the problem and would automatically take account of the airfield elevation as 'you' would be on the ground (thus automatically setting the datum) - or if on final, warnings would cease during the final approach /round-out and hold-off phase. And all this without needing to manually switch anything!

Peter
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:53:11 pm by exfirepro »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #191 on: May 23, 2016, 09:08:30 pm »
The "switch" I was talking about would be a setup option.

I'm sure Lee will give this problem some thought!  ;D

exfirepro

« Reply #192 on: May 23, 2016, 09:36:22 pm »
I realised that Paul, but if we can achieve what we need without switching screens, it would be even better - as we will keep everyone's eyes outside the cockpit and also reduce the chance of SD (or other nav systems) 'dropping out' as we swap between apps.

Peter

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #193 on: May 23, 2016, 10:12:12 pm »
Sorry, when I mean a setup option, I mean you set it up when you first set up PAW as per personal preferences, and then it's either on or off for the rest of eternity! Or until you want to change it.

A "stop voice alerts when under 20 knots" tick box, so you can choose to tick it or not tick it, then leave it be.

peteD

« Reply #194 on: May 23, 2016, 11:04:40 pm »
Hi All,To clarify:

The ground traffic I was referring to are shown in the attached screenshot as hex 43BF78,79 & &7A.

These are ground vehicles and would differ from aircraft on the ground who had their transponders on.(Not sure what the difference would be between ground and Alt mode, as both seem to tx an Altitude, at least mine appears to do so)

Regards

PeteD
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:13:40 pm by peteD »