Author Topic: Enhancement Requests  (Read 237637 times)

Paul_Sengupta

Re: Enhancement Requests
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2015, 01:48:49 pm »
I have a feature request, assuming this hasn't already been done.

How about a serial "pass through" for a Flarm unit?

A USB/serial converter can be used to input the serial data from a Flarm, and then this could be combined with the data being fed out through the Wifi to the tablet. The pinouts for the Flarm are readily available. In this way, the PilotAware would act as a "butterfly" for the Flarm.

We'd have three in one then, assuming we have a Flarm unit. Could be good for gliders.

efrenken

« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2015, 06:20:05 pm »
I have a feature request, assuming this hasn't already been done.

How about a serial "pass through" for a Flarm unit?

A USB/serial converter can be used to input the serial data from a Flarm, and then this could be combined with the data being fed out through the Wifi to the tablet. The pinouts for the Flarm are readily available. In this way, the PilotAware would act as a "butterfly" for the Flarm.

We'd have three in one then, assuming we have a Flarm unit. Could be good for gliders.

This gets my vote for sure!

flying_john

« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2015, 10:18:01 pm »
Just decode the Flarm bursts perhaps and send out to Skydemon/RunwayHD. What frequency does Flarm use, can the RTL be used in a frequency hopping mode of some sort or dual channel reception mode. I know the waterfall displays of received transmissions show a broad spectrum.

Another thought is can the RTL be used to receive the P3i too - just have the RF board do the transmission of position.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2015, 12:26:25 am »
Speaking to Lee on the weekend, he said it would be easier to have another R820T dongle if you wanted another receiver rather than constantly frequency hop with the one. It takes a fair amount of processing to receive stuff using an SDR (Software Defined Receiver) rather than a dedicated receiver, so it makes no sense to receive P3i on an R820T dongle if you've already got a receiver.

To "decode" Flarm, you could do it on a dongle or you could incorporate another dedicated receiver, but the reasons for not doing so have been spelt out before. But if you have an actual Flarm box, then all's well in this regard, hence the request for connecting it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:27:04 am by Paul_Sengupta »

the_doc

« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2015, 06:42:20 pm »
Would it be possible to put a beta test option in, which a user could enable via the web interface if they wish, to add bearingless Mode C & S data in to the data feed to the tablet?  A number of us could test this out while airborne and advise the team of how accurate / inaccurate the algorithm is. I would suggest data for threats detected within an assumed 5nm range are what would be most helpful for most GA operations.    (Thinking ahead to when this area gets looked out in more detail)

Robski

« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2015, 06:22:01 am »
Are there any plans for providing other ads-b in functionality in the future?
Or would this be dependent on SkyDemon etc being able to use the data received?
Or are such services not going to be made available in the UK?  >:(

I ask as on an FAA page I read:

What are ADS-B In broadcast services?
ADS-B In pilot cockpit advisory services consist of Flight Information Service-Broadcast (FIS-B) and Traffic Information Service-Broadcast (TIS-B). These are free services transmitted automatically to aircraft equipped to receive ADS-B In.
FIS-B provides a broad range of textual/graphical weather products and other flight information to the general aviation community. FIS-B is only available on the 978MHz Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) equipment. FIS-B includes the following:
Aviation Routine Weather Reports (METARs)
Non-Routine Aviation Weather Reports (SPECIs)
Terminal Area Forecasts (TAFs) and their amendments
NEXRAD (regional and CONUS) precipitation maps
Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) Distant and Flight Data Center
Airmen's Meteorological Conditions (AIRMET)
Significant Meteorological Conditions (SIGMET) and Convective SIGMET
Status of Special Use Airspace (SUA)
Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs)
Winds and Temperatures Aloft
Pilot Reports (PIREPS)
TIS-B is an advisory-only service available to both 1090ES and UAT equipment users. TIS-B increases pilots’ situational awareness by providing traffic information on all transponder-based aircraft within the vicinity of the ADS-B In equipped aircraft receiving the data.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:24:42 am by Robski »
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2015, 10:23:14 am »
The weather stuff is not a function of ADS-B in Europe, only in the US, as they have a dedicated frequency for it.

TIS-B is a function of the radars used in the US.

SteveHutt

« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2015, 02:29:48 pm »
Are there any plans for providing other ads-b in functionality in the future?
Or would this be dependent on SkyDemon etc being able to use the data received?
Or are such services not going to be made available in the UK?  >:(

I ask as on an FAA page I read:

What are ADS-B In broadcast services?
ADS-B In pilot cockpit advisory services consist of Flight Information Service-Broadcast (FIS-B) and Traffic Information Service-Broadcast (TIS-B). These are free services transmitted automatically to aircraft equipped to receive ADS-B In.
FIS-B provides a broad range of textual/graphical weather products and other flight information to the general aviation community. FIS-B is only available on the 978MHz Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) equipment. FIS-B includes the following:
Aviation Routine Weather Reports (METARs)
Non-Routine Aviation Weather Reports (SPECIs)
Terminal Area Forecasts (TAFs) and their amendments
NEXRAD (regional and CONUS) precipitation maps
Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) Distant and Flight Data Center
Airmen's Meteorological Conditions (AIRMET)
Significant Meteorological Conditions (SIGMET) and Convective SIGMET
Status of Special Use Airspace (SUA)
Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs)
Winds and Temperatures Aloft
Pilot Reports (PIREPS)
TIS-B is an advisory-only service available to both 1090ES and UAT equipment users. TIS-B increases pilots’ situational awareness by providing traffic information on all transponder-based aircraft within the vicinity of the ADS-B In equipped aircraft receiving the data.

Rob,
Nope, afraid none of that is available outside the US. They have two datalink frequencies in the US - 1090MHz (same as everywhere else in the world) and 978Mhz (only in the US - known as UAT).

There is insufficient bandwidth on 1090MHz for all the FIS-B broadcast info.

We don't have it, but TIS-B is a very useful capability as it creates ADS-B position data broadcasts for aircraft with Mode C or S but without ADS-B. It is achieved by ground stations taking radar position information, converting it to ADS-B format, and rebroadcasting. These groundstations also receive 1090MHz ADS-B aircraft position data and rebroadcast on 978MHz (ditto 978MHz receiption rebroadcast on 1090MHz). That is the major cost implication and drawback of using two separate frequencies for effectively the same purpose.

Nowhere except the US (and possibly China) is using this 1090MHz/978MHz dual datalink model.

Bottom line is... don't go buying any 978MHz UAT ADS-B kit from the US - it won't work here.

Steve
Steve Hutt

SteveHutt

« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2015, 02:36:47 pm »
p.s. be careful about the term TIS-B.

TIS-B is the label for the traffic data ground broadcasts in the US.
TIS-B is also used by Garmin as the name for the data format they use for receiving traffic data into one of their display devices, e.g. a Garmin 695.
Steve Hutt

flying_john

« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2015, 01:17:34 pm »
In Runway HD, you can filter traffic displayed to those less than XXXX feet and I am sure SD and others have similar.

Would an enhancement to  be able to filter on a band of altitudes referenced to one's own altitude, i.e display aircraft only + - 500feet from my altitude be aimed at Runway HD or PilotAware.  I find the display takes too much of your "out of the window time" to be useful, especially as there is no audible warning of a threat.

In my view you need to be able to set the size of an imaginary bubble around your own aircraft, by using altitude filtering and position filtering, and then issue an audible warning to draw your attention to the display.

So if there is mechanism to pass ideas to the display software providers.......

Admin

« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2015, 02:00:55 pm »
Hi John

I am sure this is how it works today.
The altitude filter is a relative setting to your own altitude, not absolute

Is this what you mean ?

Thx
Lee

flying_john

« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2015, 09:44:53 pm »
I am sure this is how it works today.
The altitude filter is a relative setting to your own altitude, not absolute

Oh - o.k , I thought they were absolute values above sea level based on the Mode S actual value transmitted by the aircraft. I did not know that PA or Runway HD did some sums and displayed altitude relative to one's own altitude.

So - if it is as it works today and I set the filter to say 500 feet, and I fly at say 2000ft,  will the display show -500 for a threat aircraft at 1500feet and +500 for a threat at 3000ft?

Admin

« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2015, 09:56:37 pm »
feet, and I fly at say 2000ft,  will the display show -500 for a threat aircraft at 1500feet and +500 for a threat at 3000ft
?

Correct, except +500 would be 2500ft

Thx
Lee

flying_john

« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2015, 11:38:59 pm »
Whoops - I think I got the sums wrong.

So just to be clear, I am bimbling along at 2000ft and there is one aircraft at 2500 and one at 1500ft. My filter in R/WHD is set to 500ft and the screen will show an aircraft "arrow" and show -500 alongside the one flying at 1500ft and an arrow and +500 alongside the one flying at 2500ft.

John

Admin

« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2015, 11:43:19 pm »
Whoops - I think I got the sums wrong.

So just to be clear, I am bimbling along at 2000ft and there is one aircraft at 2500 and one at 1500ft. My filter in R/WHD is set to 500ft and the screen will show an aircraft "arrow" and show -500 alongside the one flying at 1500ft and an arrow and +500 alongside the one flying at 2500ft.

John

Thats my understanding John, and is certainly the case with SD
thx
Lee