Author Topic: Enhancement Requests  (Read 237662 times)

Admin

Re: Enhancement Requests
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 11:17:50 pm »
Hi Lee,
All parts arrived now and thinking about getting soldering iron out.
Any reason not to use 3.3V supply from Pi on GPIO pin 1, instead of using voltage regulator?

ChrisMills
Hi Chris

Yes, the 3.3v regulator on the pi provides about 50ma, we need 350ma

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 06:41:31 am by Admin »

chrismills

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 01:18:18 am »
OK Thanks Lee. I'll get this up and running asap. I have a cheap busted (now repaired) iPhone 3 for testing, once I can get it to work without a sim card. I'll keep you posted.
ChrisMills

onkelmuetze

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 06:11:28 am »
Is anybody out there working on the android-app?

BobD

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 08:44:34 am »
Is anybody out there working on the android-app?

Hi Seb,

Yes, have a look at this post which was in response to my same question in "Setting up the software" thread".

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,7.msg212.html#msg212

Thanks for your response about the pinouts on the PowerPod.

BobD

Admin

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 09:48:12 am »
I should also mention that the guys at PocketFMS (EasyVFR) are looking at building the CollisionAware
functionality directly into there navigation tool, basically a broadcast NMEA/GPS that PilotAware will listen

This means
1. you will not need to run CollisionAware
2. It should just run on Android

I will mention this to the other vendors, seems like a good approach

Thx
Lee

grvbc

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 04:09:43 pm »
Hi Lee

I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to use the --modeac option of dump1090 in combination with the signal strength field to allow PilotAware to show all transponding traffic.  You've probably looked at this already.

Granted, there would not be azimuth or height info for Mode A or C traffic, but it would provide a good warning based on signal strength.  It'd take nothing away from the precision advantages of ADSB-in and P3I for better-equipped traffic, but also warn of all the GA traffic which only have Mode A/C transponders (in the same way  Monrose/Zaon systems work).

Would make it immediately compelling for everyone, not only early adopters...... and not cost anything more.  More traction, more safety for us all.

tj80

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 04:40:50 pm »
Mode A/C tracking would, of course, be absolutely fantastic - and, I'm sure, would kick off mass adoption.  Most of this went over my head, but it looks like this is an alternative method of locating Mode A/C signals to the 4-antenna timing method used by the old Xaons?

http://www.radarspotters.eu/forum/index.php?topic=5143.0

iang

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 10:51:49 pm »
I should also mention that the guys at PocketFMS (EasyVFR) are looking at building the CollisionAware
functionality directly into there navigation tool, basically a broadcast NMEA/GPS that PilotAware will listen

This means
1. you will not need to run CollisionAware
2. It should just run on Android

I will mention this to the other vendors, seems like a good approach

Thx
Lee
How are you going with the folks at Sky demon? I intend to use this on my hudl2

Admin

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 06:47:07 am »
Unfortunately I was unable to convince SkyDemon to output the GPS sharing
Not a problem, simply means an additional app must share the GPS from the host
Or alternately that PilotAware integrates a GPS into the hardware, which was the
suggested route from SkyDemon, again also a viable possibility
Thx
Lee

Kevin W

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 12:23:43 pm »
For me, 3 things are on my like to have and practical list:
  • GPS built in option (NMEA in via USB - Gmouse style) - allows use for those with non GPS ipads's and removes the complexity of another application to run (a reasonably significant factor for those non-techies amongst us)

• FLARM in - via an open source module, supported by others (so that when the code changes, it is up to the community, not PilotAware)

• Config to include DHCP options, so that UDP doesn't break 3G working when your connected to a WiFi network if you dont need the UDP option.
A 4th as a 'nice to have'

• Barometric pressure, so that ADSB targets can be shown at the correct relative altitude.

Then last of all, something any of us can do, put it all into a single box with the dongles self contained.

Cheers
Kev

REDX

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 09:05:47 pm »
Hi

Perhaps to add GPS, Baro Pressure, Inertials, Compass, etc.

This looks like an interesting posibility, perhaps worth a look for future enhancements.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181566850426?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Glenn

onkelmuetze

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 07:16:44 am »
I totally agree with "grvbc" and "tj80" - Mode A/C tracking is the most important feature to gain!

Kevin W

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 03:17:47 pm »
I totally agree with "grvbc" and "tj80" - Mode A/C tracking is the most important feature to gain!

Unfortunately, Mode A C transmissions contain no positioning data, so PilotAware has nothing to display. 

Zaon tried to do guess work from 4 aerials, which resulted in a very expensive device and they went out of business.

The only alternative I can think of as a remote possibility is cellular data and hooking up to one of the FlightRadar type networks.  FlightRadar works because the 4 aerials can be 10's of miles apart, and so they have an easier calculation to do - but I haven't seen any data on how accurate their mlat actually is? (and that's ignoring other issues like cellular data coverage in the air, network delays, etc).

Cheers
Kev

trapdoor

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2015, 11:15:20 am »
What would be handy, would be a serial port 'loopback' test.

I have either a dud ARF module or one of the Pi B+'s with a faulty serial port as my ARF fails to initialise. At the moment, don't know which but I suspect the ARF.

It may be handy to test if the Rx & Tx pins are shorted before setting up the ARF and if they are, pop up a message saying something like 'Serial Port test OK - Loopback or shorted data pins'. If it was deliberately shorted or looped back, then that confirms the Tx & Rx on the UART is working OK. If it's shorted and doesn't pop up the message, dud RPi. If the ARF is plugged in and working, then it just gives the ARF config messages. At the moment it's tricky to see where the issue is.

The instructions to test a Pi serial port are a bit convoluted, especially for someone who doesn't have a copy of the vanilla OS, requiring setting the console port off and installing and running something like Minicom.

Kevin W

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 11:56:44 am »
What would be handy, would be a serial port 'loopback' test.

I have either a dud ARF module or one of the Pi B+'s with a faulty serial port as my ARF fails to initialise. At the moment, don't know which but I suspect the ARF.

It may be handy to test if the Rx & Tx pins are shorted before setting up the ARF and if they are, pop up a message saying something like 'Serial Port test OK - Loopback or shorted data pins'. If it was deliberately shorted or looped back, then that confirms the Tx & Rx on the UART is working OK. If it's shorted and doesn't pop up the message, dud RPi. If the ARF is plugged in and working, then it just gives the ARF config messages. At the moment it's tricky to see where the issue is.

The instructions to test a Pi serial port are a bit convoluted, especially for someone who doesn't have a copy of the vanilla OS, requiring setting the console port off and installing and running something like Minicom.

Hi Trapdoor

You could always connect a 'scope if you have one, or an RS232 to USB converter to the RS232 pins and watch for Lee sending out the initial instruction to the ARF?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-TO-RS232-TTL-PL2303-CONVERTER-FOR-RASPBERRY-Pi-ADAPTER-CONSOLE-CABLE-/121070687261?hash=item1c3060141d

Cheers
Kev