Author Topic: Enhancement Requests  (Read 241070 times)

N6010Y

Re: Enhancement Requests
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2015, 07:27:02 pm »
Not just a cunning plan - but a 'very' cunning plan !  Very interesting Lee.....

Ian Melville

« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2015, 09:01:48 am »
As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?

Trouble is there may not be enough aircraft in range at any one time. Now if there was an network of ground stations :-)

Richard W

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2015, 04:24:42 pm »
Lee, would it be possible to configure the ARF TX and RX messages separately, for logging, pretty please?  This is for ground tests where people have been persuaded to fly overhead, and logging RX only would stop the TX messages scrolling the interesting stuff off the screen.

Thanks,
Richard

flyingalan

« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2015, 01:53:53 pm »
Lee, thanks, I look forward to learning more about your "cunning Plan" !!

On a separate subject, I would also support the establishing of PA ground stations and would certainly be happy to host one if no progress is made with OGN. I would think with the relative hi power O/P of the PA transmitter, it would have a pretty good range to a ground station giving good coverage if the ground receiver antenna is in a clear location.
Unfortunately I have no knowledge of servers and programming so cannot provide any direct help in implementation but I'm sure amongst this group we must have some that are knowledgeable in this area

I don't believe PA will have any significant take up in the gliding community, Flarm is too well established, however in the GA community I think you have a winner. The extremely low cost of build, open protocol and small size all seem very attractive to implement as an anti collision system. Even as ADS-B takes hold in GA, to just have your low cost device as a receiver only displaying other traffic including ADS-B on an iPad is magic.

I also found recently another use; in implementing ADS-B on an existing aircraft installation, it is hard to do an initial test to prove operation and do a check on its performance. I used your device just as a receiver with my iPad and could verify the presence ADS-B transmission on the ground after modification. Then by carrying it in the air on the same aircraft, I could see that the ADS-B GPS position being given corresponded with the actual position of the aircraft as shown on the moving map. A great piece of test equipment !  :)
regards
Alan

scsirob

« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2015, 09:23:39 pm »
Before planning an entire network, please note that the ISM frequency band that PAW uses, is shared with other non-licensed users  :o . There is no guarantee that transmissions are uninterrupted and you may actually cause interference with others.

SMW

« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2015, 09:43:42 pm »
Lee
can you add

BMP180 I2C Digital Barometric Pressure Sensor
http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2015/04/bmp180-i2c-digital-barometric-pressure-sensor/

assuming i have no way off applying
http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2014/11/enabling-the-i2c-interface-on-the-raspberry-pi/

as i can't login.

I have a 180 installed, but PA says manual mode.

Thanks
Stephen

GarethHorne

« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2015, 09:20:48 pm »
Are there any plans to add WEP, WPA, or WPA2 to the WiFi hotspot? The PilotAware box creates a good, strong hotspot and at a busy airfield I'd rather know I'm the only one connecting to my own unit, rather than someone else perhaps inadvertently connecting (thinking its their device) and making changes via the web config page.

flyingalan

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2015, 10:08:54 am »
Before planning an entire network, please note that the ISM frequency band that PAW uses, is shared with other non-licensed users  :o . There is no guarantee that transmissions are uninterrupted and you may actually cause interference with others.

Ground receivers would not transmit anything so could not cause interference to anyone else. However you are correct that any ground station could receive interference.
regards

scsirob

« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2015, 08:35:02 am »
I have a feature/enhancement request. I just received my uBlox NEO M8N GPS receiver. It sends traditional USA GPS coordinates using "$GPxxx" NMEA strings. However, it also receives GLONASS signals. This information is sent as "$GNxxx" strings. This currently gets logged as unsupported messages.

Would it be possible to treat "$GN" equal to "$GP" please?

Admin

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2015, 10:01:00 am »
I have a feature/enhancement request. I just received my uBlox NEO M8N GPS receiver. It sends traditional USA GPS coordinates using "$GPxxx" NMEA strings. However, it also receives GLONASS signals. This information is sent as "$GNxxx" strings. This currently gets logged as unsupported messages.

Would it be possible to treat "$GN" equal to "$GP" please?

Hi Rob,
Actually I have already fixed this, but not in the released product.
I should get a new release out over the weekend which will support these messages.

Do you have a complete list, and I will cross reference to be absolutely sure, I now handle the following

Code: [Select]
GPGGA
GPGLL
GPGSA GLGSA GNGSA
GPGSV GLGSV
GPVTG GNVTG
GPRMC GNMRC
GPZDA
GPTXT (discarded)

Thx
Lee

scsirob

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2015, 11:38:46 am »
Hi Lee,

The GNxxx messages you have are all that's been sent. I have sent you a trace from my uBlox.

Thanks!
Rob

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2015, 01:51:35 am »
Might be a cool idea for a standalone box, w/o tablet. Just to draw your plane in center and then 1 mile-circles around it to display other aircrafts positions in.

so funny, here is version 1 of PilotAware from two years ago running on a WindowsCE device

Would it be at all possible to draw something like this on the display output on the PI?

Admin

« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2015, 01:24:50 pm »
Might be a cool idea for a standalone box, w/o tablet. Just to draw your plane in center and then 1 mile-circles around it to display other aircrafts positions in.

so funny, here is version 1 of PilotAware from two years ago running on a WindowsCE device

Would it be at all possible to draw something like this on the display output on the PI?

this is probably something which could be developed in isolation of PAW and easily integrated - volunteers ?

Ian Melville

« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2015, 03:56:49 pm »
I think the idea was to use the PIlotAware Pi with an LCD display, rather than having 2 Pi or other devices. I think that would need your input Lee?

No squared jokes please

scsirob

« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2015, 06:07:48 pm »
Hi  Lee,

I'm still testing on the ground. Currently, the HDMI output blanks after a few minutes, so I can't see logging to the attached screen anymore. Only way to get the screen back is to hit a key on the keyboard *if* one is attached. I usually don't. Would you please disable the screen timeout so it keeps displaying data?

Thanks!
Rob